Rugby World Cup

Guest Ellis Rimmer

But because of that it draws more families and women to games. If it wasn't such a localised sport, rugby league could pick up loads of unengaged football fans.

Championship summer bash weekend currently on at Blackpool, 6 games, 2 days, 12 teams, all possible because the fans can be trusted to mingle together. Millennium weekend in Newcastle next weekend, same set up.

Couldn't really do that in football which I find quite sad.

Millenium weekend in Newcastle lol (Magic weekend in Newcastle-used to be at Millengium Magic was when it was in Cardiff due to the stadium)

I am going to it, should be a good laugh but the atmosphere will be nowhere near as exciting as a football match.

Must admit that I've watched quite a lot of both RL & RU, especially in the close season. For some reason, most soccer played on the box during off-season time fails to excite me, and so I've watched some RL this off-season. Several things have surprised me. The fitness of the players is one. It's certainly no quarter given or asked. Most soccer players would be rolling around like drunken wasps, moaning and groaning. The second is the players attitude to the Referees (and Visa-versa) and their decisions. The third is the treatment of 'injuries' on the field of play. The next is the fact that refs decisions are broadcast so that fans know what a decision has been made for. The use of the fourth Official or Video ref is IMO excellent in that the Ref can ask for a replay from any point up to the grounding of the try. I think the longest time taken for a Video Ref decision is 2 minutes. The fact that a yellow card means an automatic sin bin for 10 minutes. The fact that the Ref, whilst sorting things out can call time-off, thus preventing time wasting. and the shear size of the SCOREBOARDS at small rugby grounds, and some small fooball grounds. Yesterday, Bloomfield Road looked superb for a tin=pot ground as it has been known.

I realise that not all of these cold be amalgamated into soccer easily, but many could and I think would improve the sport.