A Huge Amount Of Player Turnover This Summer Is Needed

Guest totemowl

Our biggest lack at the moment is a lack of leaders.

We need leaders in a number of positions so that they can take hold of games - like todays, like much of this season's - dominate them and finish them off.

Possibly Loovens and McGugan are examples, and Melo and Bus show promise. I'm damned sure that's why Melo was brought in. But more are needed if we are going to win promotion, just as we had in our promotion season.

we've been great defensively this season because we have 3 defensive players who are worthy of a top 6 finish.

westwood, loovens and lees have been brilliant this season.

as has mcgugan but they cant do much more than they've done so the rest can go for me.

we need solid wing backs who can defend and attack in equal measure , wingers that can cross and strikers that hit the target.. none has happened this season not in regularity anyway.

there's just a different feel now with the new investment the average players need to make way if the chairman is serious on promotion in the short term.

we've been great defensively this season because we have 3 defensive players who are worthy of a top 6 finish.

westwood, loovens and lees have been brilliant this season.

as has mcgugan but they cant do much more than they've done so the rest can go for me.

we need solid wing backs who can defend and attack in equal measure , wingers that can cross and strikers that hit the target.. none has happened this season not in regularity anyway.

there's just a different feel now with the new investment the average players need to make way if the chairman is serious on promotion in the short term.

I'd agree with that, although we've lost some of our defensive solidity during the second half of the season. Losing Loovens of course didn't help, but I don't think it was just that. Some of the more recent additions don't seem to buy into their defensive duties, and as a consequence, I don't think we defend as well as a team anymore Edited by gurujuan

I wouldn't consider letting Lee go. He's come up with six goals and is an intelligent player with a lot of ability.

Some we've got should definitely stay, some may benefit by having better quality alongside them, and some need to move on. I'd put Lee more towards the first of those.

If we're serious about going up I think we need (including out of contract players as signings):

3 CBs (1 could be resigning Loovens)

1 LB

4 CM (including McGugan & Lee & maybe Semedo)

4 Wingers (1 of these could be Maguire but I'm not 100% convinced)

1 Striker

That's a lot to do in one close season, imo. Might be a 2 season project.

Edited by Random Task

I wouldn't be worried if he stayed, guess he's one you give an opportunity to.

same with buxton.. at one point last season he was irreplaceable but now.. looks like he's lost a step.

Today he was out of position, I don't think he looked like he had lost a step last week at bournemouth

I don't think he will get a new deal but when he's fit he's the best right back here by a long stretch

Guest RoyalNavyOwl

Maguire is our leading scorer now 8 goals in league. I'm fully convinced he could get 12-15 goals in a team playing well.

Doesn't need a complete overhaul. The defense is fine, though some cover is needed. The increase in goals conceded has coincided with injuries to key defensive players.

Just a few (3-4) quality attacking additions to the starting XI would make a huge difference.

Though I don't want to get on his back, today's debacle was due to a complete tactical failing on Gray's part.

Maguire is our leading scorer now 8 goals in league. I'm fully convinced he could get 12-15 goals in a team playing well.

Only the bottom three in the championship have scored less goals than us. 

Speaks for itself. 

If we're serious about going up I think we need (including out of contract players as signings):

3 CBs (1 could be resigning Loovens)

1 LB

4 CM (including McGugan & Lee & maybe Semedo)

4 Wingers (1 of these could be Maguire but I'm not 100% convinced)

1 Striker

That's a lot to do in one close season, imo. Might be a 2 season project.

I think your'e about rigiht there. I'd probably look at re-signing Loovens and Zayatte with a young understudy to Loovens.

In CM I think we only need 3 with McGugan, Lee and maybe that kid from Pompey who's scoring loads.

Wingers are a must. I'd keep Maguire as back up and for versatility but we need 3 others.

Our biggest outlay will be for our striker...or should be.

If we were under MM this would maybe be a 2 season project but I think we're going to be quite aggressive in the transfer market and the positive press we've had of late with the takeover and committee means we may pull this off in one Summer.

I think your'e about rigiht there. I'd probably look at re-signing Loovens and Zayatte with a young understudy to Loovens.

In CM I think we only need 3 with McGugan, Lee and maybe that kid from Pompey who's scoring loads.

Wingers are a must. I'd keep Maguire as back up and for versatility but we need 3 others.

Our biggest outlay will be for our striker...or should be.

If we were under MM this would maybe be a 2 season project but I think we're going to be quite aggressive in the transfer market and the positive press we've had of late with the takeover and committee means we may pull this off in one Summer.

The problem we will face is the prices have gone up since our takeover and the new owners statement about wanting promotion within two seasons. 

The quality players we will be looking to sign will cost more in transfer fees or more in wages because its now widely known we now have money. 

The problem we will face is the prices have gone up since our takeover and the new owners statement about wanting promotion within two seasons. 

The quality players we will be looking to sign will cost more in transfer fees or more in wages because its now widely known we now have money. 

I'm not sure it's widely known that we have money but it's widely known that we are ambitious.

I'm not sure it's widely known that we have money but it's widely known that we are ambitious.

It is since DC announced the other day that he is willing to spend whatever it takes to get promotion within two years.