Reading Pubs ?

Guest Adriano Bellini

Not many pubs in the area near the stadium (I can see the Mad Stad from my bedroom window). The only pub as such is the World Turned upside down on the Basingstoke road. If you get there early they do a cracking carvery (its my local). There is also a hotel built on to the mad stad that has a bar, a holiday inn a short walk away with a bar, a Hilton a short walk away with a bar (but very expensive) and a tiny bar in a residential area called Kennet island next to the Hilton. Its called the island bar and is in the main square behind the water feature.

If you find the holiday inn there is a great chip shop called deep blue opposite it.

None of the above a really traditional pubs. If you want one of them you have to go over the pedestrian bridge network over the m4 heading towards three mile cross. Plenty of pubs that way as you are out of the town once you're over there.

I am personally going to try the hotel attached to the ground as not been in it before.

Only away friendly pub I know of is the three guineas by the station but you will need a bus from there to get to the ground.

Guest intercity0wl

Not many pubs in the area near the stadium (I can see the Mad Stad from my bedroom window). The only pub as such is the World Turned upside down on the Basingstoke road. If you get there early they do a cracking carvery (its my local). There is also a hotel built on to the mad stad that has a bar, a holiday inn a short walk away with a bar, a Hilton a short walk away with a bar (but very expensive) and a tiny bar in a residential area called Kennet island next to the Hilton. Its called the island bar and is in the main square behind the water feature.

If you find the holiday inn there is a great chip shop called deep blue opposite it.

None of the above a really traditional pubs. If you want one of them you have to go over the pedestrian bridge network over the m4 heading towards three mile cross. Plenty of pubs that way as you are out of the town once you're over there.

I am personally going to try the hotel attached to the ground as not been in it before.

Only away friendly pub I know of is the three guineas by the station but you will need a bus from there to get to the ground.

Parking at the ground is already reserved, and had been wondering about the hotel myself, might give it a try, if away fans are allowed, cannot be doing with these pubs that are a supposed 10 minute walk away and take me half an Hour.

Guest intercity0wl

like i said in another thread, reading = crap away day easy one to swerve this

Dunt that depend if the main aim of the day is to watch the Footy, a few pre match jars are nice, but not the be all and end all surely ?

Parking at the ground is already reserved, and had been wondering about the hotel myself, might give it a try, if away fans are allowed, cannot be doing with these pubs that are a supposed 10 minute walk away and take me half an Hour.

Looked into distances for you. Everywhere but the hotel is over a mile from the ground. Closest is holiday inn at 1 mile exactly. Kennet island and the Hilton are 1.1 miles from the ground. World turned upside down 1.6 miles from the ground and the nearest proper pub is the swan in three mile cross at 1.8 miles.

This is the problem with moving the stadium to the very bottom of Reading. Lots of out of town retail parks and fast food outlets though!

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Dunt that depend if the main aim of the day is to watch the Footy, a few pre match jars are nice, but not the be all and end all surely ?

Depends, the match is mainly secondary for me, I enjoy a few beers with me pals, remembering the last 15 years or so have been, in the main, rubbish on the pitch i think football has taken a back seat for a fair few of us.

Guest intercity0wl

Depends, the match is mainly secondary for me, I enjoy a few beers with me pals, remembering the last 15 years or so have been, in the main, rubbish on the pitch i think football has taken a back seat for a fair few of us.

Na, will have to agree to disagree on that one, if the game was not the main priority for me going then i simply would not go, and pay out the cost associated with it.

Walk quicker.