The Pig Debate

Anyone offended by it?

Anyone give a flying flute who started it first?

Anyone think it's up there with the stupidest and most childish nicknames in football and makes Sheffield football seem a bit tin pot to the outside world?

Personally wouldn't care if we took it on ironically and used it like the massive thing just so other sides wouldn't get it and get their backs right up about it "you think you're bleedin Pigs you lot!".

I swear to God if we wore the Pig name with a badge of honour it'd be 2 weeks before United started claiming they were always the Pigs first.

Anyway, I'm just riffing/ rambling.

Discuss.

SUFC (the pigs ) have copied many things from us, that were great ideas. Fair play to em. But why copy our sad childish nickname for them.

Their home is Bramall Lane, which although was never our home, we used for many years. Their city centre location is better than Hillsborough.

They copied our abandoned nickname ‘The Blades’, before we moved to OWLerton. In many ways this is a much better nickname and their badge is one of the best in football.

They copied our stripes.

They copied our stands, but on a smaller scale.

These copies were all good ideas.

However we had a pretty pathetic nickname for them, ‘the pigs’.

Why copy this FFS.  It’s Wednesday folk law that you don’t eat bacon on match days, because its red & white striped. My Grandma told me this who watched SWFC in the 1920s. She never called them the pigs, but the connection with pork came from a more innocent time. Where insults were spared.

Ask any SWFC fan about the pig nick name and they will give the exact same answer (as above)

Ask a group of pigs & you’ll get 10 different spouted answers.

Errr, its because Hillsborough was rural when you moved.

Or its because you were founded by butchers

Or its because Hillsbourough was built on a farm

Or its because Hillsborough was built on a slaughter house

Blue & white looks like a butchers apron

Errr Or its because your 1970s badge design looks like a pig upside down

They’ve successfully copied a great deal of ideas of us, but why copy our childish nickname for them. Its not a good nickname FFS.

Too flippingreyt.

Couldn't care less to be honest.

That is our attitude to the nickname. Cause it's origins are so old & a little sad, its no big thing for us, its always been there.

The pigs however having only copied it in the last 25 years, luv it and can't get enough of it. It's still funny for them.

The name is an update on "bacon backs" which Wednesday fans in the 1920's called united players.

I love calling the Pigs ,Pigs because they, are simple as. I detest their club, colours, kit, and basically everything they are. Its normal in football circles, its called rivalry

for all those of you "puritans" who don't like it, or "think its childish" etc. Why don't you just find another more sedate sport to watch? you clearly are not cut out for being a football fan!! Crown green bowling anyone?

The name is an update on "bacon backs" which Wednesday fans in the 1920's called united players.

I love calling the Pigs ,Pigs because they, are simple as. I detest their club, colours, kit, and basically everything they are. Its normal in football circles, its called rivalry

for all those of you "puritans" who don't like it, or "think its childish" etc. Why don't you just find another more sedate sport to watch? you clearly are not cut out for being a football fan!! Crown green bowling anyone?

Thank God you posted!

Your post was really necessary as an opposite to all the puritan posts that stated that they don't like the nickname.

Anyone offended by it?

Anyone give a flying flute who started it first?

Anyone think it's up there with the stupidest and most childish nicknames in football and makes Sheffield football seem a bit tin pot to the outside world?

1) No, because I'm an Owl, not a pig. The other day my mate bought two packs of Dairy Milk Buttons for his two kids. One had an Owl on it, and the other had a pig on it. Owl and pig, not blade and pig.

2) We know who started it. Those lot just coppied us like they do with everything else and tried to claim it as their own. They are that convinced they started it that they try to alter history by way of maps etc.

3) No. It's unique. Most clubs have their nicknames for other club..... Pompey call them Scummers, Scummers call Pompey Skates (also, like the pigs, they couldn't come up with anything whitty, so they took something the Pompey boys called the sailors), Mancs call scousers bin dippers, West Brom call Wolfies Dingles and so on and so on. There is nothing tin pot about it. It makes it more fun if anything.

They call us pigs, we call them pigs, how it's always been that way since I've been alive and as far as I know nobody really takes offence or takes it too seriously.

Rotherham also call us pigs in an attempt to get in on the rivalry but nobody really gives a poo about them so that doesn't offend ms either.

Someone at Buxton on Saturday when the blunts were there asked why they called us the pigs. I explained that they were thick as poo poo and couldnt get their heads round the fact why bacon wasnt Blue and white but closer to red and white. You know the same kit the REAL pigs wear. Anyway he laughed and asked if they were all that stupid.