Cantilever or north

NO NEVER...

i'm not sure who occasionally brings up the eric taylor stand bit every now and again but, he was held in slightly better esteem at the time than a certain later chairman was to be (note the use of the term slightly)...

"TAYLOR OUT...TAYLOR OUT...TAYLOR OUT"...as the cushions went on yet again...

Sorry to hit such a sore spot there, mate :rolleyes:

Sorry to hit such a sore spot there, mate :rolleyes:

as a youngster attending hillsborough for the first times i wondered who this most hated of men they were constantly yelling about was...

the taylor out chants, and 100 cushions thrown onto the field were an almost weekly home event...

so seeing some making what appears to be a strong push to rename the stand that was his biggest critic at the time could not be further wrong...

it may be more fitting to sell a couple of promising youngsters, and put some new seats in the south with the money, and name them after him...

were it not for such fans as myself who have endured watching the wednesday for as long as we have, and being on here, then someone reading hattersley's book might believe this man was a saint to sheffield wednesday, rather than the man perceived to be at fault for our late 60's and beyond downfall...

i have wondered with the from time to time championing of taylor if some are actually relatives of the man they push the matter so hard...

and when they do, i'll always be on hand to offer the truth as IT WAS...

Edited by dnhc

When I first started going there was the Old Stand ( pre cantilever), where we sat, the New Stand ( south), Leppings Lane End, and Spion Kop. The Old Stand was replaced by The Cantelever which amazed everyone cos you could see the whole pitch without pillars in the way,

Well remember those days. Spent my first years (late '40's early '50's) in the OLD Stand as it was called. You paid to go in either to Kop or Leppings Lane. You could walk around the back of the Old stand and watch from either end, or you could transfer into the Old Stand, where you could get drinks (Coffe , Tea, Bovril etc) and could either stand on the covered terracing or go up into the stand. (Never understood why you stood on terracing but SAT in a stand) When the new stand was built as a Cantilever, after Scod canyonhorpe's rather small one) it quickly became known as the cantilever, whilst the Grandstand still retained the name of the New Stand. Even today, if someone asks me where I sit, my first instinct is to say 'new stand' meaning the South Stand.

If anyone's name should be given to the Cantilever, it can only be called 'the Eric Taylor Stand', a man whose brainchild it was.