Should we go 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 against Leeds?

I think the idea of a 4-5-1 on the defensive and 4-3-3 attacking switchup (wingers pushing to be wide forwards) almost works.

I can see it being an adaptable formation dependant on who we're playing, allowing us to quickly break on the counter, but the issue for me comes when we are playing against a more defensive team. Here we seem to want to push the attack at the 4-3-3 formation which leaves us vulnerable on the wings (forcing full backs out of position, allowing early crosses to come in and leaving the centre backs with too much to do... this is where most of our recent goals have come from).

I'd stick with it tho, I think leeds will attack us and it could result in a good free flowing game with a few goals.

personal choice for line up would be:

Kirkland

Lee Taylor Gardner Mattock

Antonio Barkley Semedo McCabe JJ

Bothroyd or Madine (not sure)

I get people will think Taylor is a mistake, but I think it's just scapegoating and massive overreactions.

I'm 50/50 with bothroyd in this match. can't help but wonder whether madine would bring some much needed passion and fight to the game? but that could be a bad thing depending on the flow of the game and the ref!

I think COG could be a good impact sub for us, if we need a slower pace up top or someone to put themselves about a bit more?

If everyone does his bit, it should be 4-5-1 only when defending.

The main improvement we need to make on the Hull game is he defenders need to get further up the pitch and put pressure on their opponents. Hull we sat to deep and gave them too much time on the ball. It seems to me the defenders had had a multi testicleing before the hull game and were scared of getting out of position. It's fine to stay flat, but just get forward as a defensive line so the opponent has a lot more to do

The main improvement we need to make on the Hull game is he defenders need to get further up the pitch and put pressure on their opponents.

would leave us susceptible to counter attacks, particularly when our opponents strikers are faster than our defenders... which is hard unfortunately.

Hull we sat to deep and gave them too much time on the ball. It seems to me the defenders had had a multi testicleing before the hull game and were scared of getting out of position.

interestingly the one time a defending went out of position and pushed forward a bit was just before they scored!

Hate 4-5-1 at home, so negative imo. 4-4-2 everytime for me.

only negative if we play poo poo or lose. I've seen 4-4-2 be so negative from two teams at hillsborough that there wasn't even a shot on goal (against chelsea IIRC)

The main improvement we need to make on the Hull game is he defenders need to get further up the pitch and put pressure on their opponents. Hull we sat to deep and gave them too much time on the ball. It seems to me the defenders had had a multi testicleing before the hull game and were scared of getting out of position. It's fine to stay flat, but just get forward as a defensive line so the opponent has a lot more to do

Well said, we gave them far too much space, and time on the ball.

Like I said POWP, I'm not advocating getting out of position. We need to put pressure on the opposition more than we did against hull. If our defenders can't comprehend one of four moving forward to pressure a striker instead of slowly ambling backwards goalside of them we're seriously fooked (as well the case may be).

In fact I see what's happened here, I might he hoping our players are better than they are.

I'd still contend that we needed to do a lot more off the ball v. Hull, pressure ans movement.

Guest fustyfrank

Its 4-3-3 for me.Control of midfield is a must tonight,with players who can score and defend.So I go for......

Bywater

Buxton...Gardner...Taylor...Jones.

Llera...Semedo...Barkley,(Reda if Fit)

Bothroyd...Madine(Cog)...Antonio,(JJ,

Subs..Kirkland,McCabe,Rodri,Mayor,Pecnic,Lee if fit.

All out attack from the very start,they've had two weeks to sort this out.

UTO.

Like I said POWP, I'm not advocating getting out of position. We need to put pressure on the opposition more than we did against hull. If our defenders can't comprehend one of four moving forward to pressure a striker instead of slowly ambling backwards goalside of them we're seriously fooked (as well the case may be).

In fact I see what's happened here, I might he hoping our players are better than they are.

I'd still contend that we needed to do a lot more off the ball v. Hull, pressure ans movement.

I think it comes down to not knowing each others movements in a game that much, players should be able to move out of position in reality and other players should read this and fill in the gaps, be they midfielders moving back or fullbacks coming over.

I honestly think we'll gel better in this area now we've started to be a little more stable, it'll probably just going to take more time and more patience