Dave Jones' Post Match Comments

Surprisingly, I haven't see any post match comments.

Does anyone have any links to any post match interview(s)?

This from the OS - http://www.swfc.co.u...her-390508.aspx

In this together

Dave Jones has reinforced the message of togetherness at the club following the Owls’ Capital One Cup exit at Southampton on Tuesday.

A Jay Rodriguez double did the damage to condemn Wednesday to a fifth straight defeat.

And Jones insists that everyone must stay on the same page if the team is to turn the corner.

“We are all in this together,” said the manager. “The chairman, the staff, the players, the supporters – we are all battling for the same thing.

“And the frustrating thing is that we are not that far away. But if we continue to give goals away, if we defend poorly, we will not win football matches, it is as simple as that.”

Jones continued: “We had two warnings before the first goal and we have to defend better than that.

“For the second goal for the penalty, contact may have been outside the area but their lad should not have been allowed into that position in the first place.

“What we need is a clean sheet and from there we have something to build on, rather than chasing the game, which is what we are doing in every game at the moment.”

The Owls made seven changes from the side that went down to Bolton at the weekend but Jones said that situation was forced upon him.

He explained: “I wouldn’t have made all those changes but I had no choice.

“I would probably have given the team from Saturday another go but I couldn’t.

“Martin Taylor and Ross Barkley were injured, Rhys McCabe has a thigh injury and Jay Bothroyd a knee injury and Chris Kirkland had a back spasm.

“Kieran Lee has picked up a nasty gash to the ankle tonight as well.

“But listen, we are not feeling sorry for ourselves. We will pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and go again ready for Wolves in the league on Saturday.”

Sorry for the rubbish pasting - I cant sort it.

Edited by ReadingOwl

thanks Paul nice to read something at least mate ,doesent help my confidence though weve a big challenge to turn it round methinks ,

Without being hysterical Trev, I think we are in for a long season. I realise that now.

Surprised just how good the competition is, even the 'mediocre' sides.

We have a big squad, but a lot of mediocrity IMO. Lots of 'if, buts & maybes'.

There aren't any instant solutions I'm afraid.

I'm getting concerned that DJ doesn't seem to think he has any part in our problems...

It seems a little oversimplistic to just say 'we have to stop goals going in, and score more at the other end'

He selects the team, brings in players, tries them in different positions etc.etc. - he must take responsibility

It certainly won't help confidence if his only tactic is to slag off players in public - basic man management skills

How about something more like - 'we'll pull through this together - great bunch of players - with the help of our fans - etc etc.'

I fear behind the scenes he's under enormous pressure from MM, and he's not coping.

Without being hysterical Trev, I think we are in for a long season. I realise that now.

Surprised just how good the competition is, even the 'mediocre' sides.

We have a big squad, but a lot of mediocrity IMO. Lots of 'if, buts & maybes'.

There aren't any instant solutions I'm afraid.

don't think its really been down to the competition, it's been us really

playing like we have done the last few years, can't string passes together, nervous as hell on the ball

if the players really were good quality champ players then we would be able to do these things regardless of how long they have been playing together

fairly worried I am

Jones is spot on with his comments.

Those that have been screaming for Llera's reintroduction to the team might have thought differently if they'd been there last night.

Once again last night both goals were down to poor defending and in particular defenders not doing the basics.

For the first, Beavers missed a through ball and then Llera was turned inside-out by Rodriguez. Nice bit of skill but the ball should never have mad it through to him in the first place and Llera shouldn't have been beaten so easily. For the second, Mattock was left floundering by De Ridder and ended up rugby tackling him. It was questionable whether the foul was outside the box or in, either way though, Mattock was beaten all ends up and it was poor full-back play. Admittedly, De Ridder had been their best player all night and Lee had struggled to cope with him in the first half.

I'm getting concerned that DJ doesn't seem to think he has any part in our problems...

It seems a little oversimplistic to just say 'we have to stop goals going in, and score more at the other end'

He selects the team, brings in players, tries them in different positions etc.etc. - he must take responsibility

It certainly won't help confidence if his only tactic is to slag off players in public - basic man management skills

How about something more like - 'we'll pull through this together - great bunch of players - with the help of our fans - etc etc.'

I fear behind the scenes he's under enormous pressure from MM, and he's not coping.

Could it be a case of players aren't doing what they're being told to do and making basic errors. Teams haven't really had to work for their goals, I'm sure they're not being told to make mistakes and defend badly. It's not really any individuals either, it's poor decision making as a unit. We have the players, we just have to get them playing together

Could it be a case of players aren't doing what they're being told to do and making basic errors. Teams haven't really had to work for their goals, I'm sure they're not being told to make mistakes and defend badly. It's not really any individuals either, it's poor decision making as a unit. We have the players, we just have to get them playing together

When does it reach the point that you/we stop saying the defenders aren't doing as they are told, but, that they are not good enough?

I am starting to think the latter - and that goes for the squad as a whole.

I hope I am wrong - but I have my suspicions.

Are you really Martyn Ware off of Heaven 17?