The Paradox of Choice

More choice does not equal more freedom, but more paralysis.

Dave Jones and Milan take heed.

Too many players, too many variables, too many players to consider and keep happy. Nobody a clear 1st choice.

We need to get a settled team now.

Edited by Beholder

There was book about this, out years ago - don't know if it is the same bloke?

His views were very thought provoking - they stuck with me,

The author told the story about buying denim jeans. As a kid there was only one brand available. Now, there are hundreds.

He said it hasn't improved his quality of life. Just cause more stress.

The author told the story about buying denim jeans. As a kid there was only one brand available. Now, there are hundreds.

yeah same bloke.

he talks about choosing jeans in this clip.

.......................and only one shop Harringtons

Don't think it is so much the choice per se (everyone likes a big squad with depth), more that we have brought in a load of players at the same time and DJ doesn't seem to know who is up to it and who isn't at the moment.

He is having to "run the rule" over the squad when we are already into the season.

My Aunty Jean has a sister called Jean, and her daughter Jean had a baby and called it Jean. To celebrate they all went to a nightclub. When they got there the bouncer said sorry you can't come in.

You're all wearing trainers. :tango:

Someone posted up a TED presentation? Never expected this.. is this kind of thing acceptable on a football forum?

Interesting to think about how greater selection choice might affect the team, but I do think the effect having that choice will always vary depending on context. Some players, in some situations, might thrive on competition for places, and the whole team may benefit as a result. Last season there was debate about starting Ryan Lowe, but as the results kept coming, he was able to play a part without his appearances (or lack of) being too divisive an issue. You could argue the competition for places made him eager to impress, and more effective as a super-sub.

I think Jones planned for this kind of postitive-compeition scenario, but it's not quite working; partly because the results aren't coming, partly because it may be that, for example, Barkley's loan condition is that he HAS to play if fit (which undermines the competition for places) and partly because it looks to everyone like Bothroyd is the manager's favourite, regardless of form, which doesn't go down well with the fans.

It may be that having lots of choice isn't helping DJ get out of this losing streak. Maybe having too many new faces around contributed to our change in fortunes, and the start of this bad run. I think having options could yet turn into a positive thing for the club - if the results pick up.

Convention wisdom always extolls the merits of a settled defence & 'spine' to the team. I think it's clear that lol is expecting Taylor and Bothroyd to be part of that spine this season. Part of the selection problem right now is that those two have yet to impress.

Edited by yowl84

Guest totemowl

To be fair to Jones he did not rush into this season and make many changes. For the first 3 league games there were only 3 new faces. I think I'm right in saying it was only after 2-3 defeats that he started dropping players who were in the squad last season.

It is all about perspective though...

I don't think there is much choice...

I wouldn't disagree with Kirkland as first choice but wouldn't be unhappy with Bywater either... Oh dear I've got a choice to make...!

Other than that it really isn't hard:

Llera is our best Centre Half, Buxton and Reda Full Backs.

I would probably persist with Taylors pedigree for a little while longer with a decent defensive partner and the good old right footer/left footer combo...

Up top it is COG and A.N. Other and I'd want someone to be making darting runs off him and so would go Rodders...

Central spine has to include McCabe and atm I would like to play Barkley, but if he's only here a month then really don't see the point and there is the issue of not being too lightweight, so I'm going with Semedo or Lines when he is fit.

Antonio and one other, can't see why not JJ.

So...

(Kirkland/Bywater)

Buxton, Taylor, Llera, Reda

Antonio, McCabe, (Semedo/Lines), JJ

Rodders

COG

Most of them are used to playing with each other and confident in each other.

Piece of Piiss...!

Fookin' paradoxical b0ll0x

Edited by 33

Guest Big Guns

To be fair to Jones he did not rush into this season and make many changes. For the first 3 league games there were only 3 new faces. I think I'm right in saying it was only after 2-3 defeats that he started dropping players who were in the squad last season.

I think your right in saying...

One of the things the bloke in the video says is that even when we make a choice and it is the right one, we are not satisfied because we think of the other choices we had and imagine that they could have been better.

This is happening now with everyone and COG. Everyone is jumping onto the "COG IS THE ANSWER" bandwagon when he clearly is not.

He is just another choice- the one currently not being picked. He works hard and one 2nd half contributed to us coming back from behind. However he is not effective at scoring/ creating goals. That is what we need right now, not just a hold up player.

This is happening now with everyone and COG. Everyone is jumping onto the "COG IS THE ANSWER" bandwagon when he clearly is not.

COG is a better alternative than, Madine, Rodri, Bothroyd or Maguire.

For me, he would the first striker on the team sheet.

He may be a back to basics, reliably limited, player.

But, he s streets ahead of the others with what he brings to the team.

One of the things the bloke in the video says is that even when we make a choice and it is the right one, we are not satisfied because we think of the other choices we had and imagine that they could have been better.

He is just another choice- the one currently not being picked. He works hard and one 2nd half contributed to us coming back from behind. However he is not effective at scoring/ creating goals. That is what we need right now, not just a hold up player.

But people generally aren't saying that 'COG is the answer' but a fair few are saying that he was dropped after starting the season well and has been replaced by players that have put in substantiually inferior performances. There is a difference.

I posted the following yesterday on another thread:

"In all games this season we've scored 11 when COG's been on the pitch and only 5 when he hasn't. He's played 310 out of 810 minutes.

In the past 4 games COG has played 88 minutes out of 360. We've lost all 4 of those games and scored 2 goals.

COG has scored 3 goals as well as his all round contribution. Our other genuine strikers have bagged 2 goals between them.

He's sustained a better level of performance when he's been on the pitch than the other strikers.

We have performed better got better results when COG has been involved.

Bothroyd hasn't come near to COG's performance level but he's been considered the better bet. Baffling.

Don't get me wrong, I want the other strikers to come to the party and genuinely prove that they're worth a place but so far they haven't. COG has been badly treated. The other players will have noticed this too and this kind of management MAY well have impacted on team spirit which is a key ingredient in successful sides."

Edited by Dagmeister

We haven't got one of those players you are discribing

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Disagree Beholder - We all need to accept that he is not an out and out striker - but 3 in 3 starts is a good return for his supporting role. We need to get a foothold in the game and CoG provides that - strikes from other positions apart from Reda have dried up and that is where we need to be more clinical.

If CoG can get 10 goals a season [as Andy Mac did with Curran] to compliment Bothroyd who's target should be 20 then we will be okay.

In my view, the CoG & Bothroyd partnership is the way forward with Rodders or Maguire playing in the hole to feed off the front two.

COG is a better alternative than, Madine, Rodri, Bothroyd or Maguire.

For me, he would the first striker on the team sheet.

He may be a back to basics, reliably limited, player.

But, he s streets ahead of the others with what he brings to the team.

This precisely.