The Gable on the South Stand

Someone mentioned the clock on the Gable of the South Stand a while ago and how it is over a century old and was transported from Olive Grove. I came across this photo on the internet and can't see a clock on it! Anyone see it?

I love how it just reads "The Wednesday FC"

southgable.jpg

This photo was in the Boxing Day massacre programme and shows the gable in the 1970s, spolit by 1970s lettering and the TV gantry - the view also spolit by the bloke sat on Tony Toms - when was he ever an Owl?

knutt.jpg

When the South was refurbished you can see how it was returned to echo the original design. One of the most iconic views in English football.

cardimage4x3138-233617_478x359.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

I thought the gable was Archibald leitch signature? therefore don't really understand how it could of come from Olive grove, he was the architect that designed the Old South Stand.

He had gables at Ibrox and Villa park too IIRC.

Yes the gable was designed by Leitch c. 1913 but the clock (I assume the mechanism) came from Olive Grove (so it says on Wikipedia)

"The South Stand is the most recognisable of the four stands at Hillsborough and still bears the original now-famous and easily recognisable clock face and finial from the very first stand, which was brought from Olive Grove."

Yes the gable was designed by Leitch c. 1913 but the clock (I assume the mechanism) came from Olive Grove (so it says on Wikipedia)

"The South Stand is the most recognisable of the four stands at Hillsborough and still bears the original now-famous and easily recognisable clock face and finial from the very first stand, which was brought from Olive Grove."

Oh I see, don't think they would of had a clock back that is my guess.

I'd love to see 'The Wednesday' make a return to the gable end, particularly for the 150th. Kinda, personalizes it in a locale, Sheffield way.

The H and the E are already there, so all they need is a T...and there's one of those going spare now that the scoreboard's being replaced...