Semedo - captain?

At the risk of incurring everyone's wrath by saying something a tad negative about Semedo, do people really beileve that he is the best choice for captain on the field?

Don't misunderstand: I love the guy and there is no doubt that his arrival at Hillisborough has not been coincidental to our wonderfully improved fortunes. Personally I would prefer to see him allowed to concentrate 100% on his own game without any distractions but perhaps more importantly I wonder if he is not too nice a guy for this role.

In the last two games our skipper should have been handing out some really stern words to those around him- can Semedo really do this when it is required?

So, who else?..............Well, there's the dilema? Experienced, proven CB required.

I don't know about the captain issue. I don't think it makes a massive difference. Like Jones has said in past interviews, he wants leaders all over the pitch and players to take responsibilities for their own jobs and the teams.

But one thing Semedo does need to do is up his game from the past two games. Not quite looked up to his usual high standards.

Early days though.

Edited by BRADDAZ

I've only seen him play on tv this season but he didn't look his usual self, then again nobody did.

I see what you mean but really everyone has been very quiet on the pitch in our first couple of games bar Kirkland I think it's a role he will grow into after all he's MAGIC!!!!

Leira would be a candidate for me - unless he's not really a talker. I'd also consider Lines - but not sure he'll play every game. Gardener would be good but again, not sure he'll play enough.

Ditto Gardner but I fear he's going to be too fragile.

Guest OutandOutOwl

Thinking for tuesday's game - Gardner might be out. Semedo had a poor game yesterday- looked slightly out of his depth. We still seem devoid of a proper captain. I am thinking of someone who leads, organises and gets players talking to each other. Gardner seems not very vocal as a captain. This might seem slightly ridiculous given his age, but the new guy McCabe in central midfield looks like he could be that player. He seemed to want to take all the corners and seemed to have a good grip on the game. He seems to have all the attributes- passing, tackling running etc. He reminds me of the kid you hate at school who captains the football team. Perhaps he has the leadership qualities we need as well. Any bashers - fair enough, but we need a proper captain and I worry Semedo isn't vocal enough.

At the risk of incurring everyone's wrath by saying something a tad negative about Semedo, do people really beileve that he is the best choice for captain on the field?

Don't misunderstand: I love the guy and there is no doubt that his arrival at Hillisborough has not been coincidental to our wonderfully improved fortunes. Personally I would prefer to see him allowed to concentrate 100% on his own game without any distractions but perhaps more importantly I wonder if he is not too nice a guy for this role.

In the last two games our skipper should have been handing out some really stern words to those around him- can Semedo really do this when it is required?

So, who else?..............Well, there's the dilema? Experienced, proven CB required.

Just put in another thread that DJ has hinted that the captain is yet to sign

Thinking for tuesday's game - Gardner might be out. Semedo had a poor game yesterday- looked slightly out of his depth. We still seem devoid of a proper captain. I am thinking of someone who leads, organises and gets players talking to each other. Gardner seems not very vocal as a captain. This might seem slightly ridiculous given his age, but the new guy McCabe in central midfield looks like he could be that player. He seemed to want to take all the corners and seemed to have a good grip on the game. He seems to have all the attributes- passing, tackling running etc. He reminds me of the kid you hate at school who captains the football team. Perhaps he has the leadership qualities we need as well. Any bashers - fair enough, but we need a proper captain and I worry Semedo isn't vocal enough.

there's no doubt that semedo isn't vocal enough...

you can see he's the type of player who gets his head down and gets on with his own game...

maybe burdening him with the captaincy is distracting him, or too much for him...

a captain needs to be a leader of men, i think semedo is more of his own man...

you need someone who can bark, and growl, as well as encourage...

Guest Bedders

there's no doubt that semedo isn't vocal enough...

you can see he's the type of player who gets his head down and gets on with his own game...

maybe burdening him with the captaincy is distracting him, or too much for him...

a captain needs to be a leader of men, i think semedo is more of his own man...

you need someone who can bark, and growl, as well as encourage...

I agree......but it has to be someone who puts in a 7 out of 10 every week. It used to make me wonder when Purse was captain (& to be fair he was good in his leadership & encouragement), but if you put in a 4 out of 10 performance how does that motivate the team. Can you have someone barking orders who isn't on their game more often than is on their game......just a thought......discuss....

Edited by Bedders

Guest wilyfox

i think Jose is filling the role 'til DJ brings another leader in. as someone else said...no.5 is still vacant, and Gardner's injury will hasten the club to bring another defender in.