Paddy Power on Wednesday

Team: Sheffield Wednesday

Manager: Dave Jones

Ins: Michail Antonio (undisclosed amount), Chris Maguire (undisclosed amount), Rhys McCabe (free transfer), Nejc Pecnik (free transfer), Diogo Amado (free transfer), Anthony Gardner (free transfer), Joe Mattock (free transfer), Kieran Lee (free transfer), Chris Kirkland (free transfer)

Outs: Ryan Lowe (undisclosed amount), Rob Jones (free transfer), Clinton Morrison (free transfer), Jon Otsemobor (free transfer), Nathan Modest (free transfer), Richard O’Donnell (free transfer), Liam Palmer (loan)

Strengths: Dave Jones. Sheffield Wednesday fans were pondering a tricky play-off campaign in order to gain promotion to the Championship last season before gary megson was given the boot at the start of March.

But then Jones came in and inspired The Owls to win their remaining 10 games and draw two to clinch second spot in League One ahead of arch rivals Sheffield United. Automatic promotion has never tasted so good at Hillsborough. Will his golden touch continue to shine for The Owls in the Championship?

michailantonio.jpg?w=640&h=877

TOP MAN: Sheffield Wednesday’s Michail Antonio (pic: Getty Images)

Weaknesses: The painful memories of their last stint in the Championship. Although Sheffield Wednesday spent five seasons in the second tier between 2005 and 2010, two of the campaigns saw the club involved in gruelling relegation scraps and, of course, the 2009/10 season saw them ride out their luck and slump into the third tier of English football once more.

Fans will be hoping that they don’t need to think about that trap door again throughout the rest of 2012 and into the new year.

Last season’s performance: Sheffield Wednesday always looked like they were going to be sitting in the top six of League One come the end of the 2011/12 campaign. However, nothing delighted fans more than when they outpaced local foes Sheffield United to clinch the league’s runner-up spot.

If they were a celebrity: Mickey Rourke in 2008. Just like Sheffield Wednesday have rebuilt after a time away from the spotlight and now look to be back with a bang, Rourke returned to his acting best in 2008 when starring in The Wrestler – his first critically-acclaimed role in years. They say too much of a good thing can be bad for you, after all.

You might not have known: Finishing second-best in League One isn’t all that bad.Southampton were runners-up in the third tier of English football in the 2010/11 campaign and are now in the Premier League.

The season before that, Leeds United finished in second spot and are now one of the top contenders to clinch promotion from the Championship in 2012/13. Can Sheffield Wednesday continue this positive trend?

Championship title odds: 22/1

Guest Sweet&TenderOwl

Back to our best just like Mickey Rourke. Class actor. Does that make Owlstalk, Rumble Fish? Always fighting with its own reflection in the matchday section lately.

Betting on promotion and winners in this division looks like a mugs game to me. Far too hard to call this year, as any year in this division.

I've stuck a fiver on Madine as top scorer for the division at 40/1. With Maguire, Antonio and Peknic all being the creative types and the other forwards on the books being target/hold up type players all our attacks will have to go through Madine really so on that basis I've put some of my Torres Euro winnings on him.

Guest Reneowlsup

I would hardly say that that's a weakness.

I doubt they do either, but they have to fill every section I suppose so betters are fully informed on each side.

Guest Johnbloodaxe

I see us more as an Alec Guiness or Larry Olivier..

More class, some humour, lots of talent, end up as the dogs cahoonas....

Micky O'rourke meh...

Edited by Johnbloodaxe