Defender/Centre back Graeme Lee

Defender/Left back John Hills

Midfielder Chris Brunt

Midfielder Craig Rocastle

Midfielder Glenn Whelan

Midfielder Chris Eagles

Forward Lee Peacock

Forward Leon Best

Bench = Steve Adams, Paul Heckingbottom and Burton O'Brien, Adam Proudlock, Richie Partridge

This is the team that started upon our last return to the Championship Vs Stoke (away)

Obviously 7 years has passed and the Championship is a different animal now, but looking at that, we were pretty poor on paper.

I remember Stoke absolutely battered us everywhere that day but we somehow escaped with a 0-0 draw after they missed a last minute penalty.

Looking at our squad now gives me much more confidence than last time around!

P.S. Because I'm a legend I've even included a little link to all your favourite Wednesday heroes above (apart from those who started on the bench)

Edited by standerino

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Cant have been that poor to say 5 of them players all went on to bigger and better things.

In seven years time how many of todays squad would you say would go on to bigger places? Madine? Semedo? Antonio? Bout it really.

Which 5?

Of that 11 only 2 ply their trade in the top flight.

Guest BoomTownOwls

Simek would easily get in our current team before he got that bad injury.

Brunt, Whelan and Best would do now but only because they have improved dramatically since then. Back then they were players with promise who were inconsistent. 12 months later Whelan and Brunt were much better players.

As they were then, I would say only Simek and Eagles would get in our current team.

Simek would easily get in our current team before he got that bad injury.

Brunt, Whelan and Best would do now but only because they have improved dramatically since then. Back then they were players with promise who were inconsistent. 12 months later Whelan and Brunt were much better players.

As they were then, I would say only Simek and Eagles would get in our current team.

That was Simek's debut, wasn't it?

Guest Reneowlsup

What ever happened to James Quinn. I thought he was a decent player and after watching the Play Off final the other day got wondering why we didn't offer him anything

He signed on a short term deal around January 2005 time until the end of the season.

He was 30+ at the time of the play-off final so Sturrock presumably didn't think that he could make the step up to the Championship.

I seem to remember that he spent most of his career in the lower leagues so he probably joined another league 1 club or something.

Guest starrydave

Cant have been that poor to say 5 of them players all went on to bigger and better things.

In seven years time how many of todays squad would you say would go on to bigger places? Madine? Semedo? Antonio? Bout it really.

lee, mattock, beevers, reda, mccabe, mcguire, amado, rest of development squad...? im sure theres more!!!

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Nope was stoke.

Finished 0-0

We had 10 men, cant seem to remember who was sent off, possibly hills. And i have a feeling that ricardo fuller smashed the penalty over? anyone confirm that?

They had 10 men, from the 13th minute

Kevin Harper missed a pen with 14 minutes to go.