My Season Review

Just four days after Valentines Day, I once again questioned my love for Sheffield Wednesday. Why do they keep doing this to me? I was walking out of the B2net Stadium with my ever optimistic son also starting to doubt how serious we were in this promotion race. I had later thrown in the bloodied towel to my Unitedite friends, they were gloating that their job was done. The United fans had done this on many occasion before and were to do it regularly until the end of the season, but this time I had to agree with them. Little was I to know that Wednesday were to go on a fourteen match unbeaten run, winning eleven of them to clinch second spot over our tearful poorer neighbours.

It all started on August 6th at a very Sunny Hillsborough. The crowd were amazed by the length of one of our new signings throws. A Summer recruit from Forest, Julian Bennett had come with a reputation for having a long throw. However it surprised everyone how long, including the Rochdale defence as his first throw landed accurately on the head of Rob Jones, who powered the said header in to the Rochdale goal. A pretty comfortable, but uninspiring performance was wrapped up by a goal of the season contender by another new recruit. David Prutton, affectionately known as Jesus caught his volley just right in front of the Kop. So the optimism we took to Hillsborough that day grew. Onwards & upwards.

The following week saw us at Bournemouth, so I decided to spend four days on the South coast. The only thing that spoilt our stay was the match. This spineless performance was a sign of things to come in our early away days. After losing at Bury 2-1, I thought I was going to see a record loss in a League Cup game at Ewood Park. Seven minutes in to the game and we were 3-0 down, thankfully Blackburn took mercy & decided to pass the ball sideways and there were no more goals from the home team.

I really didn't fancy any more away days after these early showings, thank God for FORTRESS HILLSBOROUGH.

Our first away point was to come, ironically enough at one of the best home teams in the Division & eventual Champions, Charlton Athletic. The game was live on Sky TV & no one would have guessed that these two sides would end up as top two after this awful showing. The leather was kicked off the ball & both teams got what they deserved, dropped points. I didn't witness the very next away game, but the away day nightmares continued. A night game and first ever visit to Stevenage ended in an embarrassing 5-1 defeat, this away form was relegation form and needed to be turned around to start to reward our suffering but brilliant away support.

The first Sheffield Derby was on the horizon and it was away from home. United fans were gloating and we were admittedly apprehensive. The two away games between Stevenage and the Derby had seen us turn our away form on its head, with wins at Yeovil & Hartlepool. Had we started to match our magnificent home form with blistering away form just in time? The answer seemed to be no, as we fell two goals behind at Bramall Lane. We had had the better chances, we had played the better football, but united had taken the only two chances they had. I was minutes away from telling my boy that we were going to bugger off early to miss the gloating United fans on the tram, when Chris O'Grady nodded home in the 82nd minute. Muted celebrations from the Owls, sarcastic waving from The Blades, surely that was a consolation? On 86 minutes, a free kick was played in to the United penalty area, Uniteds calamity keeper came and flapped and the GOAL MACHINE nodded home, two United defenders acted like Laurel & Hardy on the line and the Wednesday fans celebrated a great come back. My boy was knocked off his seat and grazed his shin, he had tears in his eye but the grin on his face was outweighing his pain. I pointed to the once gloating United fans, who were now stood with their hands on their heads. Who was hurting most? Only a point but the first of many victories in battle against our old enemy.

Our home form continued and it wasn't until the eight home game that a team took any points away. Brentford came and parked the bus, they very nearly snatched it when a stylish centre half called Miguel Llera stole away to plant a header firmly against the crossbar. We walked back up Herries Rd dejected, dropping points at home were no longer acceptable, luckily enough it did not happen often. When Leyton Orient came to the Fortress, me & my boy were on the away end. Wednesday had done a Home Away day & gave the Owls fans the top of the West Stand, so we decided to swap our usual Grandstand seats for one game. We were treated to a powerful header from Reda Johnson, as the Owls won 1-0. The banter we had with our own fans in the North Stand made this a memorable day in this great season.

The very next home games turned out to be one of the games of the season, but ultimately a very disappointing one. A 4-4 draw with local rivals Huddersfield Town should have been a comfortable victory. Huddersfield started the game by dominating the opening 20 minutes and were deservedly two up before Rob Jones got a goal back for Wednesday in 26th minute, from then on Wednesday battered Huddersfield to go 4-2 up. Against the run of play, Jordan Rhodes snatched his hat trick goal. In typical gary megson fashion, Wednesday sat back and gave the ball away time after time. This eventually cost the Owls when seven minutes in to time added on Jordan Rhodes snatched his fourth. It felt like a defeat, but I came out more confident that we could match anyone in this Division.

The Huddersfield game was to be the last game before Christmas, we needed a good Christmas period. On Boxing Day, Wednesday made me swear in front of my Mum for the first time in my 44 years alive. 1-0 up from a Ryan Lowe goal on the hour, the clock was ticking down. I had not gone and I had not had it on the radio, as I had friends and family round for Boxing Day. However, I kept the updates on my phone active. Checking my phone nervously, I kept commenting that the game must be up. Then it happened, oh no Walsall have scored at the death. Throwing my phone to one side, I was still moaning when my phone made yet another noise. Surely not... OH FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!! Oh the joys of being a football fan. We were to bounce back away at Preston on New Years Eve, to rescue our Festive period.

The New Year started with four home games, the Fortress would help us get 2012 off to a flyer. Still unbeaten at home, pessimism was a thing of 2011. It was all going to plan after a 2-1 win against Tranmere and a very entertaining cup win against West Ham, when league leaders Charlton came to Hillsborough. It wasn't a vintage Champion winning performance from the leaders, but a very well organised one. They came away with a 1-0 win after a quality finish from Johnny Jackson. I still wasn't convinced by them, but they continued to grind those results out. So the Fortress had been unlocked, but surely mid table Hartlepool wouldn't be a problem? After a very dour first half, Wednesday introduced Jermaine Johnson and although they fell 1-0 behind, it was his wonder show that got Wednesday back in to a 2-1 lead. Normal service resumed you would think, but just three minutes from time the Monkey Hangers scored a gem, if not a little fortunate equaliser. It was a good job our away form had improved!

It was on February 7th that the towel started to get bloodied, not in a League game but a FA Cup replay game. A second string Wednesday team failed to put up much of a fight against Blackpool reserves, resulting in a 3-0 defeat. Not to worry, you heard people say, we can now concentrate on promotion. The next three games were like a team fighting (unsuccessfully) to survive. A 2-1 defeat at Exeter was followed by a woeful performances against a very well organised, big and strong Stevenage side. This was one of the worst games of football I had ever witnessed, neither team wanted to get the ball down and pass it. Stevenage were a far superior direct team than the Owls. The following game was to be the game at Chesterfield. Wednesday continued the aerial bombardment and were getting nowhere fast. It was no surprise at all when the poor John Bostock gifted Chesterfield a penalty and they took the present gleefully. To make things worse, the depressing walk back to the car was met with a parking ticket planted firmly on the wind shield. That day was the lowest point of the season & I can fully understand Milan Mandaric's decision to axe the Manager.

The very next game was against the hard done to, once Premier League Giant outfit, Sheffield United. This game was just a game of pride, they didn't need to win it. They were five points clear with two games in hand. Mind the Gap boys. They were like a juggernaut, steam rolling their way back to the Championship, nothing could stop them. We were told that they would pass the ball like Brazil and that they would have 80% of possession. They came with their balloons, they sung their songs about someone doing what he wanted and they played a long ball game? Now we had been told that they would come and play total football, but it never happened. They said that it didn't happen because we didn't let them, oh bless. It wasn't the most attractive Derby I have ever seen, but when Chris O'Grady scored, I didn't care. Still... They were still going up!

The following week was one of the biggest shocks of my Wednesdayite life. I was in the minority and not a fan of Megson, I loved him as a person, but not a Manager. However, I was disgusted and confused by Milan's decision as I could see Megson grinding out results on our way to the play offs, but there was nothing anyone could do, lets get behind the new man and try to win the play offs. I was pleased when I heard it was Dave Jones. He wasn't my first choice, but I knew that we would play football on our way to the play offs.

A lot of people start Mr Jones's reign at Rochdale, but he was only sat in the stands there. Either way & Dave Jones is still unbeaten. Jones first game in charge saw Wednesday play two out and out wingers in Mike Jones & Mikael Antonio, something Megson was always too scared to go with. We looked more of a threat and scored seven goals in his first two home games in charge. It was a pleasure to see a team go for more goals, instead of sitting on a slender lead.

The following away game was at Notts County and this was the game where I grabbed that towel back. A performance that actually looked like a team that wasn't satisfied with the play offs. County had been good at home, but Wednesday made them look very ordinary. We then had a routine home game against relegation threatened Walsall and we owed them one after Boxing Day. Wednesday had one of those nights, they threw the kitchen sink at the Walsall goal, but could not score. Walsall gabbed a shock 1-0 lead, but it only lasted a couple of minutes as Ryan Lowe finally beat the Walsall keeper. There was only one winner now, but football isn't that predictable and Walsall took a one goal lead again. On 90 minutes I turn to my son and tell him we are leaving, he does not argue as he also sees that it just wasn't our night. A mighty roar comes from the Kop as we enter Herries Rd, me & my boy hug and there is a little relief. I then turn to him, shrug and say it still isn't enough. We both trudge up and under the Arches, solemnly back to the car.

The last game tempts me to throw that towel again, but maybe Madines 95th minute goal keeps me clinging to it. The next four games see Wednesday keep a clean sheet and record four wins, most notably a result that sends shock waves from S6 across to S2. After a 1-0 win at Orient & a comfortable 2-0 win against Preston at the Fortress, Wednesday travelled to Huddersfield. The first half is pretty equal but the second half is bossed by Wednesday. Miguel Llera scores a free kick worthy of any stage to get Wednesday rolling and when Nile Ranger scores, 2-0 is the least Wednesday deserve. The Fourth clean sheet is kept in a 3-0 win at home against Oldham. However, whatever Wednesday do our city rivals match and it seems that the two point gap will be held until May.

A trip to Colchester is daunting at any time, but when you can not afford any slips this makes it more so. An early goal for Colchester and a poor first half, we now need Mr Jones to earn his money. Whatever Jones said at half time worked, just seven minutes in and that man Llera strikes again. However, United are winning, another is needed and the tension grows. It wasn't to be, a good point at any other time in the season, but two points dropped when your rivals keep winning. MIND THE GAP BOYS, the United fans have claimed promotion AGAIN. I'm not too sure this time, I have seen enough from this team to suggest that nine points are there for the taking in or last three games.

Yes we need our neighbours to slip, but we could take a good run in to the play offs if they didn't. When news filtered through that United were losing at MK Dons Hillsborough erupted, lets hold on to this lead and we are back in it. My heart has sunk a few times at Wednesday games, but non more so as when Carlisle struck a fortunate equaliser. It was to be another game when I would miss a 95th minute goal, but my boy didn't. My bladder could not take any more and as I was in the process of emptying it, Antonio struck. My wee boy danced in to the toilets to tell me that Wednesday had scored, although the roar had told me this seconds earlier and this had made my aim in to the urinal less accurate than Antonio's shooting. I went back in to the stand to join in the celebrations. We could do this, couldn't we?

Two games to go, one point in it. We kick off at 3pm, United at 5:20pm. We just need to put the pressure on, they were masters at bottling it. Of course the United arrogance continued. The were calling this day Red and White day & planning a Promotion Party. We had a very tough trip to Brentford, one of the best sides I have seen this season. This turned out to be Wednesday's worst performance under Dave Jones, but probably most valuable. The cross bar, a bit of luck, bad finishing & Bywater kept Wednesday in with a shout and when Keith Treacy squeezed in a fortunate free kick, then we all believed that this was OUR day. However, Brentford were not going to lie down and the ever dangerous Donaldson picked himself up, dusted himself down and slotted home a penalty, after being tripped by Mark Beevers. The Rollercoaster ride dipped again, but within minutes we were somersaulting as the masked matador struck again, that man Miguel Llera popping up against his old club. Part one done... COME ON STEVENAGE!

The balloons were out, the faces painted, however the Promotion Party would have to be put on hold until Exeter, but a win for United would keep it in their hands. A draw or defeat gave the MASSIVE prize to their more famous neighbours, anyone but them. Missing out to anyone would hurt, but please don't let Wednesday steal it. In typical United fashion, the Sky cameras catch every moment of their promotion push vanish. The Ched-less Chickens had bottled it again.

On the 5th May 2012 my 12 year old son finally had something to cheer, he now has a future to look forward to being a Wednesdayite. A tear came to my eye as I saw a packed Hillsborough, the biggest crowd outside the Premier, only beating our own record. The team put on a performance which was calm and calculated, it could have been 5-0.

On this day, we stepped closer to where we belong. We belong in the Premier League and near the top of that League. I am confident of that journey. It is good being a Wednesdayite.

THIS CITY IS OURS x

Guest cypress hill

Just booked day off work on Monday so I've time to read this post.

i'm gunna read it in mi gap year

Just four days after Valentines Day, I once again questioned my love for Sheffield Wednesday. Why do they keep doing this to me? I was walking out of the B2net Stadium with my ever optimistic son also starting to doubt how serious we were in this promotion race. I had later thrown in the bloodied towel to my Unitedite friends, they were gloating that their job was done. The United fans had done this on many occasion before and were to do it regularly until the end of the season, but this time I had to agree with them. Little was I to know that Wednesday were to go on a fourteen match unbeaten run, winning eleven of them to clinch second spot over our tearful poorer neighbours.

It all started on August 6th at a very Sunny Hillsborough. The crowd were amazed by the length of one of our new signings throws. A Summer recruit from Forest, Julian Bennett had come with a reputation for having a long throw. However it surprised everyone how long, including the Rochdale defence as his first throw landed accurately on the head of Rob Jones, who powered the said header in to the Rochdale goal. A pretty comfortable, but uninspiring performance was wrapped up by a goal of the season contender by another new recruit. David Prutton, affectionately known as Jesus caught his volley just right in front of the Kop. So the optimism we took to Hillsborough that day grew. Onwards & upwards.

The following week saw us at Bournemouth, so I decided to spend four days on the South coast. The only thing that spoilt our stay was the match. This spineless performance was a sign of things to come in our early away days. After losing at Bury 2-1, I thought I was going to see a record loss in a League Cup game at Ewood Park. Seven minutes in to the game and we were 3-0 down, thankfully Blackburn took mercy & decided to pass the ball sideways and there were no more goals from the home team.

I really didn't fancy any more away days after these early showings, thank God for FORTRESS HILLSBOROUGH.

Our first away point was to come, ironically enough at one of the best home teams in the Division & eventual Champions, Charlton Athletic. The game was live on Sky TV & no one would have guessed that these two sides would end up as top two after this awful showing. The leather was kicked off the ball & both teams got what they deserved, dropped points. I didn't witness the very next away game, but the away day nightmares continued. A night game and first ever visit to Stevenage ended in an embarrassing 5-1 defeat, this away form was relegation form and needed to be turned around to start to reward our suffering but brilliant away support.

The first Sheffield Derby was on the horizon and it was away from home. United fans were gloating and we were admittedly apprehensive. The two away games between Stevenage and the Derby had seen us turn our away form on its head, with wins at Yeovil & Hartlepool. Had we started to match our magnificent home form with blistering away form just in time? The answer seemed to be no, as we fell two goals behind at Bramall Lane. We had had the better chances, we had played the better football, but united had taken the only two chances they had. I was minutes away from telling my boy that we were going to bugger off early to miss the gloating United fans on the tram, when Chris O'Grady nodded home in the 82nd minute. Muted celebrations from the Owls, sarcastic waving from The Blades, surely that was a consolation? On 86 minutes, a free kick was played in to the United penalty area, Uniteds calamity keeper came and flapped and the GOAL MACHINE nodded home, two United defenders acted like Laurel & Hardy on the line and the Wednesday fans celebrated a great come back. My boy was knocked off his seat and grazed his shin, he had tears in his eye but the grin on his face was outweighing his pain. I pointed to the once gloating United fans, who were now stood with their hands on their heads. Who was hurting most? Only a point but the first of many victories in battle against our old enemy.

Our home form continued and it wasn't until the eight home game that a team took any points away. Brentford came and parked the bus, they very nearly snatched it when a stylish centre half called Miguel Llera stole away to plant a header firmly against the crossbar. We walked back up Herries Rd dejected, dropping points at home were no longer acceptable, luckily enough it did not happen often. When Leyton Orient came to the Fortress, me & my boy were on the away end. Wednesday had done a Home Away day & gave the Owls fans the top of the West Stand, so we decided to swap our usual Grandstand seats for one game. We were treated to a powerful header from Reda Johnson, as the Owls won 1-0. The banter we had with our own fans in the North Stand made this a memorable day in this great season.

The very next home games turned out to be one of the games of the season, but ultimately a very disappointing one. A 4-4 draw with local rivals Huddersfield Town should have been a comfortable victory. Huddersfield started the game by dominating the opening 20 minutes and were deservedly two up before Rob Jones got a goal back for Wednesday in 26th minute, from then on Wednesday battered Huddersfield to go 4-2 up. Against the run of play, Jordan Rhodes snatched his hat trick goal. In typical gary megson fashion, Wednesday sat back and gave the ball away time after time. This eventually cost the Owls when seven minutes in to time added on Jordan Rhodes snatched his fourth. It felt like a defeat, but I came out more confident that we could match anyone in this Division.

The Huddersfield game was to be the last game before Christmas, we needed a good Christmas period. On Boxing Day, Wednesday made me swear in front of my Mum for the first time in my 44 years alive. 1-0 up from a Ryan Lowe goal on the hour, the clock was ticking down. I had not gone and I had not had it on the radio, as I had friends and family round for Boxing Day. However, I kept the updates on my phone active. Checking my phone nervously, I kept commenting that the game must be up. Then it happened, oh no Walsall have scored at the death. Throwing my phone to one side, I was still moaning when my phone made yet another noise. Surely not... OH FOR F*CKS SAKE!!!! Oh the joys of being a football fan. We were to bounce back away at Preston on New Years Eve, to rescue our Festive period.

The New Year started with four home games, the Fortress would help us get 2012 off to a flyer. Still unbeaten at home, pessimism was a thing of 2011. It was all going to plan after a 2-1 win against Tranmere and a very entertaining cup win against West Ham, when league leaders Charlton came to Hillsborough. It wasn't a vintage Champion winning performance from the leaders, but a very well organised one. They came away with a 1-0 win after a quality finish from Johnny Jackson. I still wasn't convinced by them, but they continued to grind those results out. So the Fortress had been unlocked, but surely mid table Hartlepool wouldn't be a problem? After a very dour first half, Wednesday introduced Jermaine Johnson and although they fell 1-0 behind, it was his wonder show that got Wednesday back in to a 2-1 lead. Normal service resumed you would think, but just three minutes from time the Monkey Hangers scored a gem, if not a little fortunate equaliser. It was a good job our away form had improved!

It was on February 7th that the towel started to get bloodied, not in a League game but a FA Cup replay game. A second string Wednesday team failed to put up much of a fight against Blackpool reserves, resulting in a 3-0 defeat. Not to worry, you heard people say, we can now concentrate on promotion. The next three games were like a team fighting (unsuccessfully) to survive. A 2-1 defeat at Exeter was followed by a woeful performances against a very well organised, big and strong Stevenage side. This was one of the worst games of football I had ever witnessed, neither team wanted to get the ball down and pass it. Stevenage were a far superior direct team than the Owls. The following game was to be the game at Chesterfield. Wednesday continued the aerial bombardment and were getting nowhere fast. It was no surprise at all when the poor John Bostock gifted Chesterfield a penalty and they took the present gleefully. To make things worse, the depressing walk back to the car was met with a parking ticket planted firmly on the wind shield. That day was the lowest point of the season & I can fully understand Milan Mandaric's decision to axe the Manager.

The very next game was against the hard done to, once Premier League Giant outfit, Sheffield United. This game was just a game of pride, they didn't need to win it. They were five points clear with two games in hand. Mind the Gap boys. They were like a juggernaut, steam rolling their way back to the Championship, nothing could stop them. We were told that they would pass the ball like Brazil and that they would have 80% of possession. They came with their balloons, they sung their songs about someone doing what he wanted and they played a long ball game? Now we had been told that they would come and play total football, but it never happened. They said that it didn't happen because we didn't let them, oh bless. It wasn't the most attractive Derby I have ever seen, but when Chris O'Grady scored, I didn't care. Still... They were still going up!

The following week was one of the biggest shocks of my Wednesdayite life. I was in the minority and not a fan of Megson, I loved him as a person, but not a Manager. However, I was disgusted and confused by Milan's decision as I could see Megson grinding out results on our way to the play offs, but there was nothing anyone could do, lets get behind the new man and try to win the play offs. I was pleased when I heard it was Dave Jones. He wasn't my first choice, but I knew that we would play football on our way to the play offs.

A lot of people start Mr Jones's reign at Rochdale, but he was only sat in the stands there. Either way & Dave Jones is still unbeaten. Jones first game in charge saw Wednesday play two out and out wingers in Mike Jones & Mikael Antonio, something Megson was always too scared to go with. We looked more of a threat and scored seven goals in his first two home games in charge. It was a pleasure to see a team go for more goals, instead of sitting on a slender lead.

The following away game was at Notts County and this was the game where I grabbed that towel back. A performance that actually looked like a team that wasn't satisfied with the play offs. County had been good at home, but Wednesday made them look very ordinary. We then had a routine home game against relegation threatened Walsall and we owed them one after Boxing Day. Wednesday had one of those nights, they threw the kitchen sink at the Walsall goal, but could not score. Walsall gabbed a shock 1-0 lead, but it only lasted a couple of minutes as Ryan Lowe finally beat the Walsall keeper. There was only one winner now, but football isn't that predictable and Walsall took a one goal lead again. On 90 minutes I turn to my son and tell him we are leaving, he does not argue as he also sees that it just wasn't our night. A mighty roar comes from the Kop as we enter Herries Rd, me & my boy hug and there is a little relief. I then turn to him, shrug and say it still isn't enough. We both trudge up and under the Arches, solemnly back to the car.

The last game tempts me to throw that towel again, but maybe Madines 95th minute goal keeps me clinging to it. The next four games see Wednesday keep a clean sheet and record four wins, most notably a result that sends shock waves from S6 across to S2. After a 1-0 win at Orient & a comfortable 2-0 win against Preston at the Fortress, Wednesday travelled to Huddersfield. The first half is pretty equal but the second half is bossed by Wednesday. Miguel Llera scores a free kick worthy of any stage to get Wednesday rolling and when Nile Ranger scores, 2-0 is the least Wednesday deserve. The Fourth clean sheet is kept in a 3-0 win at home against Oldham. However, whatever Wednesday do our city rivals match and it seems that the two point gap will be held until May.

A trip to Colchester is daunting at any time, but when you can not afford any slips this makes it more so. An early goal for Colchester and a poor first half, we now need Mr Jones to earn his money. Whatever Jones said at half time worked, just seven minutes in and that man Llera strikes again. However, United are winning, another is needed and the tension grows. It wasn't to be, a good point at any other time in the season, but two points dropped when your rivals keep winning. MIND THE GAP BOYS, the United fans have claimed promotion AGAIN. I'm not too sure this time, I have seen enough from this team to suggest that nine points are there for the taking in or last three games.

Yes we need our neighbours to slip, but we could take a good run in to the play offs if they didn't. When news filtered through that United were losing at MK Dons Hillsborough erupted, lets hold on to this lead and we are back in it. My heart has sunk a few times at Wednesday games, but non more so as when Carlisle struck a fortunate equaliser. It was to be another game when I would miss a 95th minute goal, but my boy didn't. My bladder could not take any more and as I was in the process of emptying it, Antonio struck. My wee boy danced in to the toilets to tell me that Wednesday had scored, although the roar had told me this seconds earlier and this had made my aim in to the urinal less accurate than Antonio's shooting. I went back in to the stand to join in the celebrations. We could do this, couldn't we?

Two games to go, one point in it. We kick off at 3pm, United at 5:20pm. We just need to put the pressure on, they were masters at bottling it. Of course the United arrogance continued. The were calling this day Red and White day & planning a Promotion Party. We had a very tough trip to Brentford, one of the best sides I have seen this season. This turned out to be Wednesday's worst performance under Dave Jones, but probably most valuable. The cross bar, a bit of luck, bad finishing & Bywater kept Wednesday in with a shout and when Keith Treacy squeezed in a fortunate free kick, then we all believed that this was OUR day. However, Brentford were not going to lie down and the ever dangerous Donaldson picked himself up, dusted himself down and slotted home a penalty, after being tripped by Mark Beevers. The Rollercoaster ride dipped again, but within minutes we were somersaulting as the masked matador struck again, that man Miguel Llera popping up against his old club. Part one done... COME ON STEVENAGE!

The balloons were out, the faces painted, however the Promotion Party would have to be put on hold until Exeter, but a win for United would keep it in their hands. A draw or defeat gave the MASSIVE prize to their more famous neighbours, anyone but them. Missing out to anyone would hurt, but please don't let Wednesday steal it. In typical United fashion, the Sky cameras catch every moment of their promotion push vanish. The Ched-less Chickens had bottled it again.

On the 5th May 2012 my 12 year old son finally had something to cheer, he now has a future to look forward to being a Wednesdayite. A tear came to my eye as I saw a packed Hillsborough, the biggest crowd outside the Premier, only beating our own record. The team put on a performance which was calm and calculated, it could have been 5-0.

On this day, we stepped closer to where we belong. We belong in the Premier League and near the top of that League. I am confident of that journey. It is good being a Wednesdayite.

THIS CITY IS OURS x

Top post, only disagree with the Stevenage part though.. they were dire at hillsborough.

PS - where've you been? lol

Which game was it where Prutton did a tackle in the penalty box, the ref gave a penalty, only to be 'over-ruled' - by the assistant ref? The 'penalty' decision was changed to a goal kick.

Brilliant refereeing decision, and kudos to him for 'admitting he'd made a mistake'

Think how important that decision could have been! If it wasn't made - we could still be looking at L1 football next season.

Thanks guys, to the ones that have taken time out to read, it took me a while lol. It has been the most amazing (not best) season I have had in my 36 years of going to the games.

Which game was it where Prutton did a tackle in the penalty box, the ref gave a penalty, only to be 'over-ruled' - by the assistant ref? The 'penalty' decision was changed to a goal kick.

Brilliant refereeing decision, and kudos to him for 'admitting he'd made a mistake'

Think how important that decision could have been! If it wasn't made - we could still be looking at L1 football next season.

Not sure which game this was, but it was very important. Anyone remember?

Please feel free to add your experiences. I think I am going to set up a blog, so would like to add more. Thanks.

Really good read that mate, cheers.

Sflaphorpe pal.

Fantastic read, don't usually bother with the long posts, but glad I did this time. Got goosebumps reading about the derby game in October and the Antonio equaliser against Carlisle. Some of the parts about your son remind me of when me and my dad used to go to away games. +1 from me!!

Scod canyonhorpe @ home. Lines man over ruled. Was a fantastic decision to over rule. Nowhere near a penalty -awesome tackle.