Give Jones time

Until the end of the season... if he gets promotion good, if he doesn't then it's a fail as there's every chance the manager he replaced would have... and was building something special, so to replace him he HAS to better what GM would have done this season otherwise what was the point AND it's MM's stated reason for bringing him in.

That's the only measure as far as I am concerned.

I think this is a serious overstatement. I've seen very little which has been special on the pitch this season. Megson has carried on the work of past managers: creating a mediocre squad with a few standout signings. Out of this year's purchases, I'd only keep Semedo and probably O'Grady.

In response to that, will be the normal: "he's only had ten shillings, six pennies and four farthings to spend."

You don't need to spend to get out of this division, you can do it virtually on free transfers. I can name a team of free transfers/loans that would have got us up this season. I'm able to do that because I've got the benefit of hindsight. Hopefully, with Jones, we've got a manager who'll have the foresight to create such a team (whether we're trying to get out of L1 or Championship next season).

Our squad is still in a sorry state, and it's time we had a manager who can create one that we deserve. It's time we had a manager whose success rate in terms of signings is better than one in three.

I think this is a serious overstatement. I've seen very little which has been special on the pitch this season. Megson has carried on the work of past managers: creating a mediocre squad with a few standout signings. Out of this year's purchases, I'd only keep Semedo and probably O'Grady.

In response to that, will be the normal: "he's only had ten shillings, six pennies and four farthings to spend."

You don't need to spend to get out of this division, you can do it virtually on free transfers. I can name a team of free transfers/loans that would have got us up this season. I'm able to do that because I've got the benefit of hindsight. Hopefully, with Jones, we've got a manager who'll have the foresight to create such a team (whether we're trying to get out of L1 or Championship next season).

Our squad is still in a sorry state, and it's time we had a manager who can create one that we deserve. It's time we had a manager whose success rate in terms of signings is better than one in three.

Interesting that you talk about serious overstatements, but this is one in itself...

Guest intercity0wl

No qualms about giving him time , but will milan ,we have to have promotion this season according to him,tbh i think he is gambling on the honeymoon period being a banker , but sometimes it backfires ,

Sure i have already heard Milan drop a few hints since the Jones appointment, that even he knows it may not happen this season. Jones will get till at least a few months into next season, regardless of what happens this one.

Thought I would do this now because I can see it now at how fickle our fans can be and football is in general that if we lose tonight there will be Jones out threads left right and centre. It is going to take more than 13 games to sort our team out and to change the way they have been use to playing football ie the Megson way. So lets not have any rediculous threads tonight slating Jones because if you seriously think he can work miracles in such a short time than your more mental than I am lol. Lets get behind the team and Dave jones and help the team bring back 3 points from S6 tonight....COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!

Jones has been brought in to get us promotion, if anyone thinks otherwise they are deluded!

The whole point of sacking Megson, is to get us promoted this season, how anyone can have a misunderstanding about this is beyond rational thinking, Jones knows what needs to be done, he needs our backing let's back the Men on the field starting tonight, how simple is it?

I think his plans for the future of Sheffield Wednesday go on hold, his one and only focus is to use these remaining 12 games to get us promoted, preferably via the automatics Given that that has to be his brief, I'm slightly surprised we haven't brought in at least one player, a playmaker. As I said, he needs to hit the ground running as any points dropped against Bury would severely hamper our hopes of automatic promotion

Interesting that you talk about serious overstatements, but this is one in itself...

We've got four strikers, we're not confident in any of them scoring.

Nobody knows whether JJ will be here next season and if he is, what sort of form he'll be producing. Nobody really knows what M.Jones is going to do in a Wednesday shirt. And our seemingly most capable winger, Antonio, isn't even ours.

Our central midfield, other than Semedo, certainly isn't going to pull up any trees. Lines doesn't look like he's going to be able to produce consistently, and I don't think many want to see Prutton or Coke here next season.

With regards to the defence, Jones has done quite well, but he's hardly without fault and I've little faith in him stepping up. Our most consistent performer, Batth, has done us proud. But it's likely that we've just bought another team's player along, and I doubt he'll be here next season if we don't go up. Llera is a journeyman who I'm not going to get excited about. Our two first choice full backs are quality; those in back up are an absolute liability.

Goalkeepers are decent but the fact that none of them can make the position their own says a lot.

Despite having quite a lot of players on our books for this level (including ones out on loan), the team pretty much picks itself. I'd say the squad is in a pretty sorry state, and 75% would need replacing if we went up. If you look at the teams who've gone up in recent seasons, they've required a couple of quality signings, not wholesale rebuilding.

I'm going tonight not fully confident in our squad's ability to beat Bury's squad, which says it all really.

Edited by Juror8

We've got four strikers, we're not confident in any of them scoring.

Nobody knows whether JJ will be here next season and if he is, what sort of form he'll be producing. Nobody really knows what M.Jones is going to do in a Wednesday shirt. And our seemingly most capable winger, Antonio, isn't even ours.

Our central midfield, other than Semedo, certainly isn't going to pull up any trees. Lines doesn't look like he's going to be able to produce consistently, and I don't think many want to see Prutton or Coke here next season.

With regards to the defence, Jones has done quite well, but he's hardly without fault and I've little faith in him stepping up. Our most consistent performer, Batth, has done us proud. But it's likely that we've just bought another team's player along, and I doubt he'll be here next season if we don't go up. Llera is a journeyman who I'm not going to get excited about. Our two first choice full backs are quality.

Goalkeepers are decent but the fact that none of them can make the position their own says a lot.

Despite having quite a lot of players on our books for this level (including ones out on loan), the team pretty much picks itself. I'd say the squad is in a pretty sorry state, and 75% would need replacing if we went up. If you look at the teams who've gone up in recent season's, they've require a couple of quality signings, not wholesale rebuilding.

I'm going tonight not fully confident in our squad's ability to beat Bury's squad, which says it all really.

It's the same squad that has got us 11 points clear in a play off place, your argument does not stack up.

It's the same squad that has got us 11 points clear in a play off place, your argument does not stack up.

No it's not. We'd have far less points now if we hadn't had Marshall, he's now gone. Madine's hot streak at the start of the season is another reason for our current standing, and he doesn't resemble the same player now. He doesn't look like he's capable of reproducing that form at the moment, and being the character that he is, no one knows what the future holds. Tavernier also contributed when he was here. Your argument doesn't stack up.

I don't want to talk Wednesday down, but if you look at the squad, particularly the players we own, I think it's hard to argue that the future looks bright with the current crop.

Edited by Juror8

No it's not. We'd have far less points now if we hadn't had Marshall, he's now gone. Madine's hot streak at the start of the season is another reason for our current standing. He doesn't look like he's capable of reproducing that at the moment, and being the character that he is, no one knows what the future holds. Tavernier also contributed when he was here. Your argument doesn't stack up.

I don't want to talk Wednesday down, but if you look at the squad, particularly the players we own, I think it's hard to argue that the future looks bright with the current crop.

Had we retained Marshall and Tavernier, we would be second now. im confident of that.

Not sure it was megson or mandarics fault that we didnt get them back, but the replacements have not been like for like. read into that what you want.

No it's not. We'd have far less points now if we hadn't had Marshall, he's now gone. Madine's hot streak at the start of the season is another reason for our current standing. He doesn't look like he's capable of reproducing that at the moment, and being the character that he is, no one knows what the future holds. Tavernier also contributed when he was here. Your argument doesn't stack up.

Bullshit!

One man does not make a SQUAD, this team were made to get up in the biggest game of the season two weeks ago in front of a Premiership type crowd and the in form team of this league!

Do not tell me they are not capable!

Thought I would do this now because I can see it now at how fickle our fans can be and football is in general that if we lose tonight there will be Jones out threads left right and centre. It is going to take more than 13 games to sort our team out and to change the way they have been use to playing football ie the Megson way. So lets not have any rediculous threads tonight slating Jones because if you seriously think he can work miracles in such a short time than your more mental than I am lol. Lets get behind the team and Dave jones and help the team bring back 3 points from S6 tonight....COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!!

I understand what you are saying and why, but the same was said when GM took over, when AI took over, when BL took over and probably when Sturrock took over, but only one of those did make a difference and turn things round in a succesful way.

whilst not happy with the way DJ has arrived, support him I shall, but whilst we always all get behind the 'new manager', no-one has really made that much of a difference of late, other than the last one we got rid of.

Will we be getting behind someone else in the next year if we are mid table L1 this time next year?, at some point someone is going to have to come in and do the job, with the players they need and unhindered from doing there job

He's got 12 games, plus play offs if needed.

Milan says promotion is the aim this season and thats the reason why the previous manager was sacked (of course it wasn't) so Dave Jones will be judged accordingly.

Hope he does it.

Episode 34 tonight, in the Wednesday saga.

Had we retained Marshall and Tavernier, we would be second now. im confident of that.

Not sure it was megson or mandarics fault that we didnt get them back, but the replacements have not been like for like. read into that what you want.

Tavernier's departure was nobody's fault. Pardew would only extend the loan if he was being played at RB. Megson, rightly, only wanted to play him at RW. Marhsall's departure was nobody's fault. Him and his agent knew he was always going to get more money elsewhere and could probably play at a higher level. I seriously doubt he would have signed even if we'd pushed out the boat. January is a hard time to find replacements so I'm going to struggle to seriously admonish either GM or MM for not finding like for like replacements.

I'm not pinning all the blame on GM; MM can take an equal measure. All I know is, the squad doesn't look good.

Bullshit!

One man does not make a SQUAD, this team were made to get up in the biggest game of the season two weeks ago in front of a Premiership type crowd and the in form team of this league!

Do not tell me they are not capable!

One game and one win doesn't make it a good squad. Oz Owl, how many times have you seen Wednesday this season?

I never at one moment said one man makes a squad. What I will say is, Marshall, Madine, Batth and Semedo are the main reasons we are where we are. We've lost the first, the second has lost himself, the third isn't ours and we don't know if we'll be able to retain him, and the fourth needs some quality around him to have full effect.

It's hard to say the squad looks good. I'm not siding with GM or MM. I'm blaming them all: GM, MM, IA and PA, and saying that if player recruitment had been handled better over the last 18 months, things could look a lot better. I'm hoping lessons have been learned.

Let's not say, 'we're going to sign young saleable assets' and then lurch the other way when that doesn't show a sign of instant return. Let's have a balanced policy and assemble a squad with some promise.

Edited by Juror8