Daniel Jones

Guest Sheff Owl

He is lacking in confidence, its blatantly obvious.

We have cover in defence, if we bring another winger in then I think we should try to loan him out for 6 months. See how he gets on and hopefully he can rebuild his confidence.

He had some brilliant games last season, he certainly has the ability and physical attributes. He just seems to be a confidence player.

I dont think he is a left back either but ask me if he is better than Sedgewick and id give you a resounding yes.

And you would be wrong imo.

Sedgwick is far from perfect but by far the better player of the 2, gets stuck in, has a football brain, and occasionally puts in a good delivery,

Jones isnt being made a scapegoat, he's performed badly for over a year, and he just doesnt look like he's good enough.

He is slightly better as a winger than a full back, but for what we want to achieve, he's not the answer in either position.

I think Jones has all the attributes to be an effective option on the left wing, but if i recall correctly it's been said a few times that he doesn't like playing there?

I've no idea why. His positioning in particular has always looked pretty suspect at left back (although not a lot worse than Spurr's was) and I don't think that's where we see the best of his ability, i.e his pace and ability to deliver a ball.

I'd be interested to know how Jones' himself views his game. If he's so adamant he's a left back then i think that's abit of a waste really.

Guest Sheff Owl

Jones has said that he likes playing at LB because A) He can get down the line more and B) He can see the game more clearly (well something along them lines anyway)

The worry is he is like Spurr playing at LB - miles off the opposition, he gives them so much room room it's unreal and he let's the bloody ball bounce...the amount of times he let it bounce last night and lost it was unreal.

He also seems to get caught out of position a lot, he seems to want to play at LB but half the time he is up field trying to leg it back to catch the winger!

Jones has said that he likes playing at LB because A) He can get down the line more and B) He can see the game more clearly (well something along them lines anyway)

The worry is he is like Spurr playing at LB - miles off the opposition, he gives them so much room room it's unreal and he let's the bloody ball bounce...the amount of times he let it bounce last night and lost it was unreal.

He also seems to get caught out of position a lot, he seems to want to play at LB but half the time he is up field trying to leg it back to catch the winger!

It's a shame really. I think he's talented on the ball - there have been times, e.g. when he came on as sub at Swindon when he's looked really good, but defensively he's been atrocious.

Guest SheffWed6

It's been longer than last night that he's been poor. Can't really name a match where he has stood out really.

Even as a left winger I've found him poor and seems to show that he was now a gamble when Alan Irvine signed him.

At left back he gets turned in and out and doesn't really get stuck into much. At left wing he doesn't really try and beat anyone and his delivery Is terrible to say he is left footed. If Daniel Jones was a the exact same player he is now but was right footed and not left, he would not be a footballer.

It's a shame really. I think he's talented on the ball - there have been times, e.g. when he came on as sub at Swindon when he's looked really good, but defensively he's been atrocious.

The really strange thing about that was, he came on and played down the right against Swindon, and he actually didnt look too bad.

He says himself that prefers to be a defender. :biggrin: The problem with that is he can't defend.

He's quick but that's about all he has going for him defensively. His awareness and reading of the game is poor. I think he looks much better in the oppositions half. Not good enough for a promotion challenging team though.

Guest highamowl

I think the way forward for him is to work on his midfield positioning, as lets face it, he is not a top class defender. However, in order for this to happen he has got to realise that he has to change.

He has pace and can run with the ball. these are his main skills, so he needs to find a way that allows him to do this. Then he can be a decent player. Unfortunately he has got to do this quickly or it will never happen and the skills he has will be wasted. Poor player at the moment but with some potential