Sheffield Wednesday 1959-60

That's the side that finished fifth in the top flight, and reached the FA cup semi.

But Tony Kay, Don Megson, Peter Johnson, Bobby Craig and Keith Ellis are all missing.

Looks like back then, they'd take a random team photo of whichever 11 players were on the pitch before a game.

As I was only 2 years old I can't remember too many of these players............................ :rolleyes:

For those that can, any info on the lesser known players?

the lesser known players ......don gibson was a centre half (back four for you young uns )who we signed from man utd and he was married to matt busby's daughter he played around a 100 games (i think)until he lost his place to peter swan .jack martin was a sweaty sock who came from the same junior club as tommy mac and played for 8 years on and off at right back and lost his place to peter johnson who is the guy heading the ball in my avatar .the rest are pretty well known

Ah,memories, please can't i have a time machine and go back to those halcyon days,when we had a decent team, when we had real beer not this poncy larger rubbish, when rock and roll was king (not a rapper in sight).when drugs were what the doctor prescribed, when i got my first car, and best of all i hadn't met my ex wife,priceless. nostalgia isn't what it used to be.lol.

the lesser known players ......don gibson was a centre half (back four for you young uns )who we signed from man utd and he was married to matt busby's daughter he played around a 100 games (i think)until he lost his place to peter swan .jack martin was a sweaty sock who came from the same junior club as tommy mac and played for 8 years on and off at right back and lost his place to peter johnson who is the guy heading the ball in my avatar .the rest are pretty well known

Never knew that THANKS for the info'.

That's the side that finished fifth in the top flight, and reached the FA cup semi.

But Tony Kay, Don Megson, Peter Johnson, Bobby Craig and Keith Ellis are all missing.

Looks like back then, they'd take a random team photo of whichever 11 players were on the pitch before a game.

Yes that I think would be the side that began the season and yes they used to take team photos before some matches. Around end oct/early nov they had brought in Johnson at no2, Megson no3, Kay no6, Craig a genius for a season at no8, and Ellis no9. The side took off and was one of the best ever to grace Owlerton going on a long unbeaten run starting at Old Trafford and getting to the cup semi final. This same side then finished 2nd in the league 60/61 to double winning Spurs beating them 2-1 at home

I have recently re read Peter Swanns autobiography which I found very interesting when he talks about SWFC at this time.

One thing that sticks out in my mind was that the first team were all professionals but some of the reserves were only part time. He talks of one as being a teacher and training two times a week and he often played for the first team when anyone was injured.