Better than Steve MacLean?

Guest Reneowlsup

Guest Reneowlsup

After nothing his 20th goal of the season yesterday, Neil Mellor became the first to do so in one season for the Owls since Steve MacLean in 2004/2005.

The question I want to put to you all six years on is do we have a better striker on our hands now than we did back then?

Guest bigblue

Mellor offers more overall, yes. He can score different types of goals, where MacLean could only score pens n tap-ins (which, as we all know, don't count!).

SM was much more consistent when fit though. He wasn't the quickest and offered no arial threat, but he worked hard, retained possession and most importantly of all - took his chances.

Mellor on form is a much much better player.

Not saying they don't count but if we were to buy a striker and we had a choice

1 never misses pens and really good with easy chances,

2 scores allsorts of goals and wins you pens

I'd go for 2 cos if you don't win pens then no1 can't score the pens

Guest ShawyTheOwl

Its easy to remember the good times we had when maclean was banging them in, it was the promotion season...

In some ways i think our awful season has made mellors contribution go by un-noticed.

We must sign this lad on a permanent deal.

Also..get shut of clinton morrison and heffernan and bring in 2 younger, faster forwards.

Guest Different Gravy

To be fair to MacLean, his penalty record was mightily impressive. Anyone got the figures? He never missed one, right?

Edited by Different Gravy

Guest Reneowlsup

Also, Neil Mellor has scored two hat-tricks (at MK Dons Away and Hartlepool in the JPT at home) and Steve MacLean only scored one( Doncaster away)

Guest Different Gravy

2004/5 : 7 out of 7

2005/6 : 2 out of 2

2006/7 : 4 out of 4

Cheers. For some reason I thought that there were a few more, but it's still pretty good going.

Guest foreverSWFC

Steve Maclean is the very similar to Paul Heffernan, maybe we would have two 20 goal a season strikers if Heffernan was played more.

Steve Maclean is the very similar to Paul Heffernan, maybe we would have two 20 goal a season strikers if Heffernan was played more.

I still think the Heff could still do a job given the chance, just playing him one game at a time doesnt really give him an opportunity to bed in and find his feet. Heffs biggest problem is that he is a bad trainer......and training is where hes only getting seen at the minute

Guest Big Guns

I still think the Heff could still do a job given the chance, just playing him one game at a time doesnt really give him an opportunity to bed in and find his feet. Heffs biggest problem is that he is a bad trainer......and training is where hes only getting seen at the minute

mellors better than maclean as 4 the heff give it up hes no good and will be on his bike