Jimmy Mullen-As Defender And Captain

Guest one gary shelton

Guest one gary shelton

Often wondered what Jimmy Mullen was like as a central defender and what were his leadership qualities as a captain whilst at Hillsborough?

Perhaps posters of a certain age can enlighten me.

saw his debut in a 4-4 draw at hull he looked like a stick insect and weighed about 10 stone ,played in mid-field and full-back early in his carear without much success but as he filled out as he got older he turned into a good centre -back who gave wednesday good service .dont recall him as an especially great captain though .

Guest pops55

Got to agree with everones appraisal, always remember him as a very good header of a ball never missed much with his head.

saw his debut in a 4-4 draw at hull he looked like a stick insect and weighed about 10 stone ,played in mid-field and full-back early in his carear without much success but as he filled out as he got older he turned into a good centre -back who gave wednesday good service .dont recall him as an especially great captain though .

Did David Sunley also debut in that game?

Guest arobert

I saw him on far too many occasions - he was far too small and light weight for a Centre Back.

Part of a declining and losing side.

Found his level lower down the leagues.

I saw him on far too many occasions - he was far too small and light weight for a Centre Back.

Part of a declining and losing side.

Found his level lower down the leagues.

He was not brilliant but then again none of the side around that time were. In summary the team were a set of tryers who lacked that bit of class to go the next step. On a positive could'nt fault him for effort or his dedication to the team.

Guest one gary shelton

Thanks for the replies. Yes he had a short spell as manager of Walsall then assistant manager at Rotherham.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

wholehearted trier but not in micky lyons league captain-wise

still got his testimonial brochure in t'loft!

Vs Man City....

....that contained 2 minutes of brilliant wing wizardry from a bow legged Willy Henderson.

Had a photo of him & Winton Cooper c0cking around on air.

hey ho.

Only able to really compete after Tony Toms force fed him steak.

Reliable and always gave 100%

Guest clumber58

I was at the game and agree with the above. Hull ran riot in last few mins, Ken Wagstaff hit the post towards the end otherwise we would have lost. Sam Ellis scored his one and only goal for Wednesday that day (from the penalty spot).

Mullen gave us ten years good service. Went to one or two of his testimonial events. Remember carrying him round the Dial House with other members of South Kirkby Supporters Club one night; he was alot heavier than 10 stone by then.

Wouldn't have him as an all time great, but he gave his all while he was here.

If memory serves me right he went to Rotherham.