Consistency

Guest armchairfan

Guest armchairfan

I think we are all in agreement that our objective now is the playoffs looking at the vote where people may think we may end up come the end of the season.

My only concern with this is our form. We are not consistent enough to put a run together of, say 8-12 matches unbeaten which would not only strengthen our position in the playoff places but may significantly close the gap to an automatic spot.

Under AI this has been a constant issue, even the way we start and end games seems to depend on who scores 1st. AI needs one plan A regardless who we play not to hold back and see how the 1st 25 mins pans out.

The players we are bringing in are for the future and have signed contracts in line with MM target of PL football in 4 years time. If AI does not find this consistency in the next 10 games I feel that may be the end of him.

I personally feel that he's done an ok job considering everything. We are still in touch, just, of automatic and in contention with the play offs. I just feel that if he carries on worrying about other teams as his first principle we may miss our chance or limp across the finishing line into the playoffs.

Form means a lot to take into the semis of the playoffs (the final is a one off) and if MM has any doubts that may hinder this I feel that he will sack irvine.

I'm not in agreement with this personally

Neither am I. Top 2 should be the aim.

When it comes to consistency, it's not a matter of consistency. It's a matter of not performing well against the better teams in our division. The 2 teams we have beat that now are above us weren't doing very well at the time we beat them. (Brighton and MK Dons). So not consistency, but lack of ability. Thats what I think. We will see if this changes with a "new" team.

Edited by OwlsfaninNorway

Neither am I. Top 2 should be the aim.

When it comes to consistency, it's not a matter of consistency. It's a matter of not performing well against the better teams in our division. The 2 teams we have beat that now are above us weren't doing very well at the time we beat them. (Brighton and MK Dons). So not consistency, but lack of ability. Thats what I think. We will see if this changes with a "new" team.

Look at this performance in two ways :

1) Dreadful motivation to come out and within the first 6 minutes to be 2 goals down.

2) Having the team spirit to come back from being 2 down and being unlucky not to nick a third.

The plus side to this performance is that we have an appalling record against any team around us and Charlton comfortably beat us 2-0 earlier this season.

We picked up points that earlier in the season we may not have.

However, top 2 is the aim but it's going to take one hell of a change in play to get a run that would see us in top 2 - especially considering our fixtures this month !

Why should we wait to see what happens in just the next 10 games, when he has failed in his previous 50?

Irvines most successful spell was actually when he very first took over, and hadn't had time to enforce his influence on us.

i'm not a irvine fan but, you can't blame him for the goals we conceded yesterday!

i was impressed with his changes for once!

UTO

Even if we did make the playoffs the results against the teams in the playoff positions are dire! We'd have no chance in them!

Giving him 10 games to see if we go on a run wouldn't give a new manager time to turn it round!

I'd give him 3 games max!

i'm not a irvine fan but, you can't blame him for the goals we conceded yesterday!

i was impressed with his changes for once!

UTO

I wasn't commenting on the match, or the result yesterday specifically.

I was commenting on the fact that over the whole duration with him at the helm our overall trend of results has not been good enough.

With the additional point that the trend is getting worse, which points towards some miraculous turn around which sees us go on a run of straight wins even more unlikely.

I refer you to DJM's post in another thread that shows since the end of August our results have given a return of points which sees us 17th in the league. This is a period of time long enough in my opinion (5 months) to be able to judge the manager and say categorically that results are not good enough.