vs Manchester United

Oliver, Modest, Palmer

Agreed, especially Palmer, though I also thought there looked to be a decent player in Harrison too. Not everything he tried came off, but he was always in the thick of things and looked best when keeping the passes simple. Good set-piece delivery too. I thought Mohammed looked very nervy in the first half before he went off; really struggled to come to terms with the conditions.

I was disappointed not to see Cottingham playing as I'd heard good things about him - is he injured?

Agreed, especially Palmer, though I also thought there looked to be a decent player in Harrison too. Not everything he tried came off, but he was always in the thick of things and looked best when keeping the passes simple. Good set-piece delivery too. I thought Mohammed looked very nervy in the first half before he went off; really struggled to come to terms with the conditions.

I was disappointed not to see Cottingham playing as I'd heard good things about him - is he injured?

Everything you said there was a spot-on :cool:

McAuley prefers bit older players lately, and both Palmer and Cottingham although very highly rated found themselves on the bench.

Newton, Wilde, Barnett, Tunnard and Hall are out injured.

who scored 4 us?

Nick Wood & Liam Palmer

Edited by malek

I was also very impressed with the discipline of both sets of players. There were one or two strong challenges flying in at times and yet I never saw the players square up to each other or have a go at the referee if the decisions didn't go their way. These things are such a hallmark of first team football, that it's easy to accept it's occurence, though this game made me realize just how much watching players that just get on with it and don't moan can really improve the entertainment. This is the first academy football I've seen so I don't know if this is pretty typical, but I was nevertheless quite taken with it. Good stuff!

Guest QUEENSKEEPER

Yes Nick Wood ( brother of Richard ) & Liam Palmer ( not son of carlton ) were the scorers today.

Where did you play with Palmer then?

being the Academy Guru Any form on him

Guest QUEENSKEEPER

Always seems a decent guy, getting in some Reserve football. I have heard good things about him.....

.he has been with the club since he woz a nipper.....one to watch

One thing I don't like is that McAuley is obviously going for discipline, height and strength instead of talent.

We are getting results lately, but are we developing most talented kids ?

Going for height and strength over talent would be a worry, but I think getting kids to play with discipline is a good thing, though not to the point where it stifles a player's self-expression, of course. The discipline I saw in today's performance impressed me hugely though; psychologically, that first half can't have been easy for our players - playing into the wind against a team which is easily far better technically, and then going two goals down in the first half hour, and all in front of TV cameras - at that point I was expecting us to get a right hammering, but we stuck to our guns, didn't let our heads drop, and got a goal back. Second half I actually thought we looked the better side, even if they continued to look neat and tidy at times. Psycholgically, I thought our lads coped with that game in a way that you often wouldn't find professional players doing; indeed, if these lads want to make it in the game then their discipline and commitment alone might be enough for them to make a career for themselves - they may not make great players, but they may well make a professional nevertheless. McAllister and Spurr in the first team have shown already that commitment, discipline and a willingness to continue to learn are qualities that can get you a long way.

Guest Bannister

Oliver, Modest, Palmer

Having just watched the match (taped via sky+) I was impressed with Vadaine Oliver, defender playing as a striker and he nearly scored! SM must have faith in the lad, as he was picked over 'regular' strikers and even Modest to start. it will be interesting to see if they move him to the back line once the 2nd year scholars leave at the end of the season!

Having just watched the match (taped via sky+) I was impressed with Vadaine Oliver, defender playing as a striker and he nearly scored! SM must have faith in the lad, as he was picked over 'regular' strikers and even Modest to start. it will be interesting to see if they move him to the back line once the 2nd year scholars leave at the end of the season!

To be perfectly honest we didn't have any "other" strikers with Modest apparently not 100% yet, and Hall and Tunnard out injured.

As I heard of Vidaine Oliver, is that he play as central defender, central midfielder, or a striker, and he wore number 10 playing for U-16's.