Jackie Robinson - 70 years ago today

Sold to Sunderland for £6,000 but Wednesday wanted him to go to Preston for £6,500 - these articles made me laugh - imagine the meltdown today? ;-)

Obviously Taylor learnt his lesson when Ron Springett came along!

jr_zpsd8qenuyh.jpg

Nice hooped Wednesday shirt!

Jack%20Rob_zps996s0f1b.jpg

rob%203_zpsriezg7c8.jpg

J%20Rob2_zpskdiw7hnq.jpg

rob%205_zpssmgrwy6l.jpg

rob%206_zpse2c1hocs.jpg

35 minutes ago, Cambs Owl said:

He was my dad's favourite player and he had seen many of the great Wednesday players of the 1930s.

Yep, my dad was always telling me what a great player he was.

Wasn't he the one who used to have a couple of pints in the dressing room beforehand and at half time because he said it helped him play better?

52 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Yep, my dad was always telling me what a great player he was.

Wasn't he the one who used to have a couple of pints in the dressing room beforehand and at half time because he said it helped him play better?

think the drink did for him in the end and believe that one of the reasons taylor sold him was because of his drinking .

Hi, Claw, who's upset you today?  Does it REALLY matter? In my 60 years of watching The Owls, I've heard them referred to as The Wednesday, Sheffield Wednesday, Wednesday, and some names that are unprintable. We know who they are. If other people are ignorant , that's their fault. Personally I never refer to them as 'The Wednesday'. To me, although officially they are Sheffield Wednesday, they are invariably known as 'The Owls', or simply 'Wednesday'. I know who I mean, and everyone I speak to seems to know.  Even a question on 'Pointless' this last week, -'the only football team to be named after a day of the week' received the answer 'Sheffield Wednesday'