UEFA Cup winners cup

One for those of us oldies who miss dearly the old UEFA cup winners cup.

Which team qualified and entered the tournament the most prior to its abolition in 1999.

And as a secondary question (that I don’t know the answer to and hope someone does) - which English team qualified and entered the most?

Yeah I'd go with Cardiff (or Swansea, or Wrexham!) because they all used to be able to enter both the FA Cup and the Welsh Cup. Either they don't enter the Welsh Cup any more or they aren't allowed to participate in Europe through it.

Not sure about the English teams, I know Chelsea won it twice but Arsenal have only won it once but been in at least 3 finals (the latter 2 they wouldn't have even been in the competition had Mark Bright being able to shoot straight!). West Ham will have been been in it at least 2-3 times as well. Because the CWC spot (and later the Europa League) for winning the cup usually didn't go to the winners who more often than not had already qualified for Europe, there were a lot of cup runners up who still played in Europe.

Edited by alanharper

Never been a great fan of European football , perhaps our lack of participation in the competition is a factor .

Find it hard to enthuse about.

Now ,Inter Cities Fairs Cup and Intertoto Cup, that’s a different kettle of fish .

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

That's a toughie.....I would think cardiff win the welsh cup a lot so I'll  go for them for the first part  

Yes Cardiff is correct...14 Appearances......Rangers are second in the British contingent

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, torryowl said:

2nd part ....man utd won the cup a few times before 2000 so possibly them  .

I thought either Man Utd or Spurs but can't find the answer

Thinking being cup winners who didn't win the league very often

Edited by Ian

18 hours ago, Ian said:

I thought either Man Utd or Spurs but can't find the answer

Thinking being cup winners who didn't win the league very often

spurs 6 times .......man utd &liverpool 5.......chelsea 4

• Like 1

6 hours ago, torryowl said:

spurs 6 times .......man utd &liverpool 5.......chelsea 4

Cheers

Surprised Liverpool have that many given that they won the league most years in that era!

21 hours ago, Ian said:

Cheers

Surprised Liverpool have that many given that they won the league most years in that era!

The CWC started in 1960, long before Liverpool started to dominate the English league. I'm surprised that Liverpool played in it as many as 5 times though, as they only won the FA Cup twice between 1960 and 1985, and once between the English club ban being lifted and the CWC being shelved, although they may have qualified as runners up a couple of times.

Perhaps surprisingly, of the 20 participations of the aforementioned 4 clubs they only reached the final 5 times between them, although 4 of these were won (Chelsea won both their appearances, Liverpool lost their only one in 1966), Chelsea, West Ham and Arsenal are the only English clubs to get to more than one final, and oddly despite English teams doing well in Europe and there only being one representative from each country (plus the holders) no English team won it between 1971 and 1985.

• Like 1

full entry 

spurs 6

man u 5 

liverpool 5

chelsea 4  

west ham 4

everton 3 

arse 3

man city 2 

the rest 1

wolves