Ronaldo: The Modern Day GOAT

The Goat  imo needs to be defined is the Goat  the best player at his best or is the Goat the player with the best overall career.

Best at is his best it surely has to be Messi , can Ronaldo with his physical conditioning have a longer and more successful career we shall see.

Ronaldo for me,  exemplified when he smashed in that hattrick for Portugal v Spain in the World Cup, whilst Messi again struggled to make an impact.

Then you think of Messi, one of the most skillful, entertaining player the game has ever seen. Stats that blow your mind. 

Nah, I think if you are like me and have both players for their entire careers then you have seen the best the game has had to offer. 

Apart from Maradona, obviously  😉 

Guest T Hardy
On 26/01/2021 at 16:02, Bannofan said:

Ronaldo for me,  exemplified when he smashed in that hattrick for Portugal v Spain in the World Cup, whilst Messi again struggled to make an impact.

Then you think of Messi, one of the most skillful, entertaining player the game has ever seen. Stats that blow your mind. 

Nah, I think if you are like me and have both players for their entire careers then you have seen the best the game has had to offer. 

Apart from Maradona, obviously  😉 

“smashed in that hat trick”, where he dived to win a penalty he converted, then De Gea had a howler for his second that you’d be shocked to see in a Sunday league game. The last goal, the free kick was incredible though. 

I’m not sure it was the world class legendary hat trick (that earned his team a draw) that some make out

19 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

“smashed in that hat trick”, where he dived to win a penalty he converted, then De Gea had a howler for his second that you’d be shocked to see in a Sunday league game. The last goal, the free kick was incredible though. 

I’m not sure it was the world class legendary hat trick (that earned his team a draw) that some make out

Alright,  ' smashed in' is a turn of phrase I guess,  but it showed to me that on the international stage, Ronaldo has outperformed Messi. When the chips were down, he stood up and showed up, which is what the all time greats have always done. 

Again,  conversely I was delighted to see Messi score a great and very crucial goal against Nigeria when Argentina needed something special. 

Messi has always played in a World Cup final and got the player of the tournament award.

So conflicted! 

Guest T Hardy
1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Alright,  ' smashed in' is a turn of phrase I guess,  but it showed to me that on the international stage, Ronaldo has outperformed Messi. When the chips were down, he stood up and showed up, which is what the all time greats have always done. 

Again,  conversely I was delighted to see Messi score a great and very crucial goal against Nigeria when Argentina needed something special. 

Messi has always played in a World Cup final and got the player of the tournament award.

So conflicted! 

Yeah sorry it wasn’t meant as a dig at you, I just find that hat trick is one of many examples of Ronaldo fans using the raw stat in his favour without looking at what actually happened, but obviously you show a balance that most don’t.

What they’ve achieved on the international stage will swing it in CR7’s favour for a few, but I really don’t think it’s as black and white as some say it is that Ronnie has done it and Messi hasn’t. But again, the raw stats will show one trophy for Ronnie and zero for Messi, but I think if you consider everything, like team mates, it’s never that simple. I think anyone who watched that 2014 final knows Messi would be a World Cup winner if Higuain could finish.

Anyone who has read my posts in here will know I favour Messi, however I will concede that Ronaldo’s mentality is on another level to any other player. Messi can look beaten when Barca are down like he has given up, and walks around, even more than usual. He is expected to carry Barca in every game, if he had the luxury of been able to just hover around the other team’s penalty box for 90 minutes, maybe he’d be more upbeat, but they have no one to give the ball to him, that was the problem in the 2014 WC final, he was so deep, but nobody else was getting the ball. 

I think CR7 has always had the luxury of having a team behind him that get the ball to him in dangerous areas. It has made him more effective, but I think less interesting to watch. For me he was at his best in a United shirt, a lot more involved in build up play. 

Guest T Hardy
1 hour ago, KivoOwl said:

That hat trick v Spain reminded me of Kenwyne Jones v Doncaster.

Did bugger all for 90 minutes - except score three goals...

When I have this debate, I do say to people he does nothing but score, it’s silly when he’s one of the greatest of all time to say it, but that’s the reality now, he does nothing else.

If he doesn’t score in a game, people are quick to rightly say he didn’t turn up at all. 

But hat trick against Spain in the World Cup is all that most people remember. 

I don’t wish to demean one of the greatest goalscorers ever for “only scoring goals”, but I think his fans should take a moment to think about that when they say things like “He’s a better all round player”