Ronaldo: The Modern Day GOAT

There surely can't be any debate about this anymore. Ronaldo has proven over recent years he is the modern day GOAT.

Whilst Messi looks like a lost child sulking in a poor Barca team getting sent off, Ronaldo is becoming the highest scoring player in football history (don't tell Pele). He has proven it in arguably the three toughest European leagues, adapted to those leagues and their playing styles, banged in goals galore everywhere, won countless domestic trophies and also won a major international tournament. Currently, he is streets ahead of Messi in all departments.

Messi may have been more enjoyable to watch on his day and more naturally gifted than Ronaldo, but what Ronaldo has shown over the last year or so puts the debate to rest for me. There's no way Messi could do it on a cold night in Stoke anymore. 

Ronaldo = GOAT. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

There surely can't be any debate about this anymore. Ronaldo has proven over recent years he is the modern day GOAT.

Whilst Messi looks like a lost child sulking in a poor Barca team getting sent off, Ronaldo is becoming the highest scoring player in football history (don't tell Pele). He has proven it in arguably the three toughest European leagues, adapted to those leagues and their playing styles, banged in goals galore everywhere, won countless domestic trophies and also won a major international tournament. Currently, he is streets ahead of Messi in all departments.

Messi may have been more enjoyable to watch on his day and more naturally gifted than Ronaldo, but what Ronaldo has shown over the last year or so puts the debate to rest for me. There's no way Messi could do it on a cold night in Stoke anymore. 

Ronaldo = GOAT. 

Guest T Hardy

I think people who think Ronaldo is the best ever have really weak arguments. It's essentially based on the idea that Ronaldo is 'proven' in leagues that Messi isn't, and because of a trophy with Portugal. Ronaldo has won domestic trophies in multiples countries, yes, at the richest clubs in those countries. That logic dictates that if Messi went to Bayern Munich and PSG and won the league there, he would then be 'proven' in other leagues. It's nonsense. For years he has dominated the best teams in Europe in the Champions League. 

I do tend to find that people who believe Ronaldo to be the better player don't watch much football, or at least no Spanish/European (no offence to you if you do, I just find that most that do take this opinion don't). If they watched Messi often, it wouldn't even be a debate for them. I think a lot of Premier League fans think Ronaldo is 'purer' or something because he's played in England and gone to other leagues. I think this is a dumb argument, given that Messi is one of the top scorers of all time against the traditional top 6 in the Premier League. Does anyone really think he'd have struggled against Bournemouth and Huddersfield?

With any hot topic, I think it's always worth looking at what the experts say, and with this, your experts are those who have played the game. You will find that about 95% of players, current and former when asked, believe that Messi is the greatest. Have a look at who Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney say is the greatest ever (Messi), and they've both played with Ronaldo. You won't find any of Messi's team mates saying Ronaldo is better. In terms of the expert view, you're basically a flat earther if you think Ronaldo is better. Piers Morgan and Richard Keys think Ronaldo is better (although Morgan said Messi until he interviewed Ronaldo, but just two high profile people who haven't played football who have that view) and maybe a couple of ex-United players (however, Scholes and Rooney don't). 

If you go through all the attributes of a footballer, Ronaldo is better at penalties, is stronger and better in the air. All your other attributes, Messi is the better player. 

Messi completely dominates play and scores as much as Ronaldo does (actually on a goals per game ratio, Messi is higher), Ronaldo since he was at Real Madrid has been a striker and a poacher, he's had the ball fed to him. Messi played this role once and broke the record for goals in a calendar year. Since then he's dropped deeper, assisted more and scored more than anyone.

On an international level, I'd actually challenge the view that is simply Ronaldo has done it and Messi hasn't. In terms of trophies, that is correct, but when you look into it, Messi carried Argentina to a World Cup final and gave Higuain golden opportunities to score. The same in Copa America finals. The Portugal team that Ronaldo was a part of finished third in their group and Ronaldo went off injured early on in the final. They won it despite Ronaldo, not because of him.

It's always going to be debated amongst fans, but all the ex-players and most pundits know Messi is the greatest of this era.

Guest T Hardy

I should add that I think Ronaldo is in incredible talent and will go down as maybe the greatest goalscorer ever, and it's possibly his greatest achievement that some compare him to Messi.

10 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Ronaldo = GOAT. 

Contradict yourself with the title saying 'modern day goat' - Greatest Of All Time surely rules out the modern day bit? 

Also contradict yourself by admitting Messi is naturally more gifted.

What has Ronaldo done in the last year that put the debate to rest? He has moved to Juventus, who have dominated Italian football more than Celtic have dominated the SPL in the past decade, and they have actually won less and made less progress in the Champions League since he joined them.

Interesting that you reference Messi's first domestic red card this week as if Ronaldo has never been sent off. You are right about the poor Barca team though, he said it himself months ago and it is no surprise he is getting frustrated. With his team 2-1 up going into the final minute of the Super Cup final the genius Koeman decides to sub off Dembele for Middlesbrough reject Braithwaite, Bilbao then equalise in injury time and Barcelona are left with the hapless Braithwaite up front for 30 minutes of extra-time. 

By his standards he is not have a great season, he is still La Liga top scorer for a team you agree is a shadow of its former self. 

Ronaldo & Messi have ruled the footballing world for more than a decade, like never before and more than likely not to be seen again any time soon, both should be appreciated and enjoyed while they still can. 

Messi for me.

Much more of a natural talent. Get's more assists than Ronaldo (I believe), seems much more of a team player whereas Ronaldo comes across as a "I'm the man" kind of player.

Ronaldo's fitness is incredible, he has really looked after his body and is a true athlete. He could still do well for a decent team for a couple more years, Zlatan style.

Both fantastic players and we are lucky to witness the competition between them both. Both will rightly go down on the list of best players to grace the game. 

19 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Messi for me.

Much more of a natural talent. Get's more assists than Ronaldo (I believe), seems much more of a team player whereas Ronaldo comes across as a "I'm the man" kind of player.

Ronaldo's fitness is incredible, he has really looked after his body and is a true athlete. He could still do well for a decent team for a couple more years, Zlatan style.

Both fantastic players and we are lucky to witness the competition between them both. Both will rightly go down on the list of best players to grace the game. 

Still Ronaldo for me. Messi has had the Barca team molded around him. Ronaldo has had to adapt at Man Utd, Real and Juventus in terms of fitting in with the team and also the different country styles he's up against, and has never failed. He's also performed on the international stage

People say it doesn't matter that Messi has only done it in Spain, but to me it does to be honest. 

8 hours ago, T Hardy said:

I think people who think Ronaldo is the best ever have really weak arguments. It's essentially based on the idea that Ronaldo is 'proven' in leagues that Messi isn't, and because of a trophy with Portugal. Ronaldo has won domestic trophies in multiples countries, yes, at the richest clubs in those countries. That logic dictates that if Messi went to Bayern Munich and PSG and won the league there, he would then be 'proven' in other leagues. It's nonsense. For years he has dominated the best teams in Europe in the Champions League. 

I do tend to find that people who believe Ronaldo to be the better player don't watch much football, or at least no Spanish/European (no offence to you if you do, I just find that most that do take this opinion don't). If they watched Messi often, it wouldn't even be a debate for them. I think a lot of Premier League fans think Ronaldo is 'purer' or something because he's played in England and gone to other leagues. I think this is a dumb argument, given that Messi is one of the top scorers of all time against the traditional top 6 in the Premier League. Does anyone really think he'd have struggled against Bournemouth and Huddersfield?

With any hot topic, I think it's always worth looking at what the experts say, and with this, your experts are those who have played the game. You will find that about 95% of players, current and former when asked, believe that Messi is the greatest. Have a look at who Paul Scholes and Wayne Rooney say is the greatest ever (Messi), and they've both played with Ronaldo. You won't find any of Messi's team mates saying Ronaldo is better. In terms of the expert view, you're basically a flat earther if you think Ronaldo is better. Piers Morgan and Richard Keys think Ronaldo is better (although Morgan said Messi until he interviewed Ronaldo, but just two high profile people who haven't played football who have that view) and maybe a couple of ex-United players (however, Scholes and Rooney don't). 

If you go through all the attributes of a footballer, Ronaldo is better at penalties, is stronger and better in the air. All your other attributes, Messi is the better player. 

Messi completely dominates play and scores as much as Ronaldo does (actually on a goals per game ratio, Messi is higher), Ronaldo since he was at Real Madrid has been a striker and a poacher, he's had the ball fed to him. Messi played this role once and broke the record for goals in a calendar year. Since then he's dropped deeper, assisted more and scored more than anyone.

On an international level, I'd actually challenge the view that is simply Ronaldo has done it and Messi hasn't. In terms of trophies, that is correct, but when you look into it, Messi carried Argentina to a World Cup final and gave Higuain golden opportunities to score. The same in Copa America finals. The Portugal team that Ronaldo was a part of finished third in their group and Ronaldo went off injured early on in the final. They won it despite Ronaldo, not because of him.

It's always going to be debated amongst fans, but all the ex-players and most pundits know Messi is the greatest of this era.

Hello Messi :duntmatter:

Guest T Hardy
1 minute ago, smhouston said:

Still Ronaldo for me. Messi has had the Barca team molded around him. Ronaldo has had to adapt at Man Utd, Real and Juventus in terms of fitting in with the team and also the different country styles he's up against, and has never failed. He's also performed on the international stage

People say it doesn't matter that Messi has only done it in Spain, but to me it does to be honest. 

Have you watched any of Ronaldo at Juventus, or Real? The team is set up for him to score, they have adapted to him, he is a pure goalscorer for them, if that doesn't happen behind him, he does nothing all game. Even now when he scores 1 or 2 goals in a game, he's prettty much absent for the rest of the game. As daft as it sounds, all he does now is score goals, if he doesn't do that in a game, you barely notice him. You're comparing that to a player who can do the same and also do the playermaker/setting up role and is involved in basically every play.

I actually think Ronaldo was at his best when he was at United, he was involved in build up play much more and exciting to watch.

Guest T Hardy

Also saying that Barcelona is moulded for Messi isn't an argument in favour of Ronaldo. Every team Ronaldo has been in after Man Utd have had their main purpose to be to get the ball into the box for Ronaldo. Messi goes to midfield for it himself

Not quite up to date but not far off

Messi vs Ronaldo Stats

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 735 goals in 1013 games in his entire career (0.73 goals per game). Meanwhile, Lionel Messi has scored 703 goals in 867 games (0.81 goals per game). Ronaldo has played 146 games more than Messi and has scored only 32 goals more than him. Also, Messi has provided 79 assists more than Ronaldo in his career.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smhouston said:

I don't see how having a team molded around you is a weakness.

Surely you would mold a team around that talent.

Also - the idea that Man U, Real and Juve haven't built their teams around Ronaldo is simply not true.

Rooney and Tevez were in that team (partly) to paper over the defensive gaps left as Ronaldo went and did his thing. That entire team was built around him as it should have been.

Also - part of the reason Messi is struggling now is due to sticking with Barca who have been horribly mismanaged in recent years. It would be much easier to move around Europe playing for the world's top clubs again  and again. 

It's like saying Mourinho is better than Fergie cause he did it in more countries.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

Ronaldo = GOAT. 

Agree 100%.

Don't recall Ronaldo sulking & wanting a transfer after captaining his team to a humiliating record CL 8-2 defeat either.