Ronaldo: The Modern Day GOAT

31 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Agree 100%.

Don't recall Ronaldo sulking & wanting a transfer after captaining his team to a humiliating record CL 8-2 defeat either.

He sulked at Man U and got his move to Real.

Guest T Hardy
4 minutes ago, Django said:

Both are up there with Pele, Maradona and Waddle but Ronaldo edges it for me

What makes you think that way? Interested to know if it’s something that’s already been said, or if you have something new to bring to the discussion 

Edited by T Hardy

Guest T Hardy
10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Plus, what does that have to do with who is the better player? 

Lol 

Indeed. Very weak arguments so far

5 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Plus, what does that have to do with who is the better player? 

Lol 

He should have admitted he failed in his job, on the pitch, as player, captain & leader. Which he was.

Instead of blaming the whole structure of the club. Same as at international level. Not up to it. 
Ronaldo is better as player, captain & leader imo. 

1 minute ago, The only way is S6 said:

He should have admitted he failed in his job, on the pitch, as player, captain & leader. Which he was.

Instead of blaming the whole structure of the club. Same as at international level. Not up to it. 

He's got to three international finals.

Yes, cause Ronaldo never threw a strop and blamed others.

Pull the other one.

The guy is an absolute machine isn’t he. Can’t think of a footballer in history who’s had a career as impressive as his 

What is he? 35 now? I genuinely think he’ll be banging then in at the highest level until he’s 40

1 minute ago, Django said:

The guy is an absolute machine isn’t he. Can’t think of a footballer in history who’s had a career as impressive as his 

What is he? 35 now? I genuinely think he’ll be banging then in at the highest level until he’s 40

Er, Messi?

Better goals per game.

90 goals in a calendar year.

Are we just forgetting all this stuff?

Mental.

• Like 2

Guest T Hardy

This is just like debating Brexit with people who hate the EU. You present them with facts, and they say they disagree, and you ask them to expand, and all they can come back with is accusing you of getting wound up or moaning 😂

Striking resemblance. Never thought I’d compare Brexit to the Messi and Ronaldo debate but this thread is proof it works 

Guest T Hardy
2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Er, Messi?

Better goals per game.

90 goals in a calendar year.

Are we just forgetting all this stuff?

Mental.

I think some in this country like to dismiss Messi because he hasn’t played for a team in England. I think a lot of pundits who love Ronaldo, like Savage, would be all over Messi if he moved to an English team 

9 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

‘Not up to it’

lol

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Django said:

I have looked at all the stats and all the evidence and arrived at the conclusion that Ronaldo is the GOAT... just 

Stats in this debate are all Ronaldo fans have to offer I’m afraid. Yes he’s scored goals at a freakish rate and, if there was no Messi, he’d probably be second best of all time to Maradona (sorry). 

I love this debate because each side has such excellent reasoning, but there’s a reason I fall to the Messi camp, unequivocally. He is playing a different game to everyone else. 

Watch his every touch, every pass, every jink, everything. The standard he plays at is more than scoring at immense volume, which he has done anyway. There is not a single player who gets anywhere near the level of technical skill of Messi in every attacking sense. 

Ronaldo is remarkably still scoring at a crazy rate (as is Messi), but he just doesn’t have the talent that Messi does, period. And no Ronaldo fan can ever look you in the eye and claim that Messi is the better footballer. He might end up with better statistics, but Ed Sheeran has sold more records than the Rolling Stones and well, do I need to say any more?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smhouston said:

Still Ronaldo for me. Messi has had the Barca team molded around him. Ronaldo has had to adapt at Man Utd, Real and Juventus in terms of fitting in with the team and also the different country styles he's up against, and has never failed. He's also performed on the international stage

People say it doesn't matter that Messi has only done it in Spain, but to me it does to be honest. 

I respect that.

Football is all about opinions so it's always great to hear other opinions. 

Still, how lucky are our generation to witness two Incredible talents go head to head like they have.

Not so lucky on the Wednesday front, mind!