Ronaldo: The Modern Day GOAT

59 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I think some in this country like to dismiss Messi because he hasn’t played for a team in England. I think a lot of pundits who love Ronaldo, like Savage, would be all over Messi if he moved to an English team 

Just sat here thinking - We’ve seen how good Aguero is in the Prem, would he be a good player to gage how Messi would do .....

Messi = Aguero on drugs ? 

Guest T Hardy
38 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Just sat here thinking - We’ve seen how good Aguero is in the Prem, would he be a good player to gage how Messi would do .....

Messi = Aguero on drugs ? 

Aguero, David Silva, Mata, imagine what Messi would do 

You also have to factor in that Ronaldo approaches every game with the question in his mind “how can I cheat to win this game?”  If match officials had been stronger and done their jobs properly, he would have spent half his career suspended and there wouldn’t even be a debate to be had.

Any human who screams when an opponent enters the same postcode as him shouldn’t be revered in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 21/01/2021 at 20:24, The only way is S6 said:

He should have admitted he failed in his job, on the pitch, as player, captain & leader. Which he was.

Instead of blaming the whole structure of the club. Same as at international level. Not up to it. 
Ronaldo is better as player, captain & leader imo. 

If you knew anything about Barcelona you would 100% agree with how he feels.

Doesn't suit your side of the debate though.

On 21/01/2021 at 20:27, SiJ said:

He's got to three international finals.

Yes, cause Ronaldo never threw a strop and blamed others.

Pull the other one.

He took this defeat with good grace

https://metro.co.uk/2010/06/30/cristiano-ronaldo-spit-shame-as-portugal-slump-out-of-world-cup-426996/

He is then hailed for winning Euro 2016 - where Portugal won 1 game inside 90 minutes, finished 3rd behind Iceland and Hungary in their group and he was subbed off in the first half of the final having spent 15 minutes hobbling around barely able to walk. 

Ronaldo fans will always point at cold hard stats.

Just watch them play.

Even without his own phenomenal statistical record, Messi is head and shoulders above anything we've seen in this era.

I never thought I'd see a better player than Zidane or Ronaldinho - Messi way ahead of both.

Ronaldo can play til he's 50 and win three World Cups - he'll still never be able to better Messi as a footballer.

Messi circa 2013 was as close to footballing perfection as we'll ever see.

• Like 4

On 21/01/2021 at 22:14, T Hardy said:

Aguero, David Silva, Mata, imagine what Messi would do 

26 goals against English clubs in the Champions League over 34 games.

That equates to 29 goals over the course of a Premier League season.

But he's only played against Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Imagine if he'd played against dross like Bournemouth, Pigs, Watford etc.

He'd have been averaging over 30 goals per season for years.

And statistics don't tell the full story with him either. Just watch him.

• Like 1

Guest T Hardy
10 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

26 goals against English clubs in the Champions League over 34 games.

That equates to 29 goals over the course of a Premier League season.

But he's only played against Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

Imagine if he'd played against dross like Bournemouth, Pigs, Watford etc.

He'd have been averaging over 30 goals per season for years.

And statistics don't tell the full story with him either. Just watch him.

Indeed mate, and your last point sums up completely how I feel about this debate, those on the Ronaldo side I’ve found don’t watch football with their eyes, they look at the stats. “Ronaldo scored 2 this weekend, Messi scored 1, see, Ronaldo is still doing it week in week out”. It doesn’t matter to them that Messi scored one amazing goal and assisted 3 and dominated the play for 90 minutes. Ronaldo scoring a tap in and diving to win a penalty and converting and then been quiet for 89 minutes means he has the better game, as the stats that matter to people who don’t watch are Ronaldo got 2 goals and Messi got 1. 

Edited by T Hardy

2 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Indeed mate, and your last point sums up completely how I feel about this debate, those on the Ronaldo side I’ve found don’t watch football with their eyes, they look at the stats. “Ronaldo scored 2 this weekend, Messi scored 1, see, Ronaldo is still doing it week in week out”. It doesn’t matter to them that Messi scored one amazing goal and assisted 3 and dominated the play for 90 minutes. Ronaldo scoring a tap in and diving to win a penalty and converting and then been quiet for 89 minutes means he has the better game, as the stats that matter to people who don’t watch are Ronaldo got 2 goals and Messi got 1. 

To be honest I think they whole debate is between weird fanboys of both, which seems to be a modern thing in football with the influx of American fans on the internet especially.

If you know anything about basketball you will know there is a huge debate about who is the greatest out of Lebron James and Michael Jordan, it's extremely boring and tedious but they love discussing it, I think the same is happening with Messi and Ronaldo.

For example there would be light discussions about whether Pele or Maradona was better but nobody particularly cared.

• Like 2

Guest T Hardy
1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

To be honest I think they whole debate is between weird fanboys of both, which seems to be a modern thing in football with the influx of American fans on the internet especially.

If you know anything about basketball you will know there is a huge debate about who is the greatest out of Lebron James and Michael Jordan, it's extremely boring and tedious but they love discussing it, I think the same is happening with Messi and Ronaldo.

For example there would be light discussions about whether Pele or Maradona was better but nobody particularly cared.

It’s interesting you say that about weird fan boys, because if you look at people posting “Ronaldo is the GOAT” etc, the majority of it is from CR7 fan accounts. Sure, Messi has a lot of fanatics, but I repeat what I said initially, your experts, who are your ex pros, 95% of them will tell you that Messi is the best they’ve seen. Are they weird fan boys? I think you definitely have the weird fan boys advocating Ronaldo, and it’s the sensible folk who have to say come on you’re being daft, you can’t compare him to Messi.

1 hour ago, T Hardy said:

It’s interesting you say that about weird fan boys, because if you look at people posting “Ronaldo is the GOAT” etc, the majority of it is from CR7 fan accounts. Sure, Messi has a lot of fanatics, but I repeat what I said initially, your experts, who are your ex pros, 95% of them will tell you that Messi is the best they’ve seen. Are they weird fan boys? I think you definitely have the weird fan boys advocating Ronaldo, and it’s the sensible folk who have to say come on you’re being daft, you can’t compare him to Messi.

They both have fanboys

Guest T Hardy
17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

They both have fanboys

Yeah I said that in my post.

But I think if you have a look on Twitter/Facebook, the big majority of the ‘fanboys’ are Ronaldo ones, desperately trying to promote him as the greatest, where as the consensus amongst the pros and your unbiased fan is that it’s Messi.

7 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Yeah I said that in my post.

But I think if you have a look on Twitter/Facebook, the big majority of the ‘fanboys’ are Ronaldo ones, desperately trying to promote him as the greatest, where as the consensus amongst the pros and your unbiased fan is that it’s Messi.

Probably because he is better looking lol 

Messi takes it, but personally I just prefer watching Ronaldo.

He just seems more explosive, more powerful. His standing jump height is extraordinary 

Watching Messi when he was with Xavi, Iniesta was pure joy. Haven’t enjoyed him as much the last couple years, and his form has plummeted since COVID.

Ronaldo has proven more IMO, across Europe and is still smashing them in and is older than Messi 

Just a personal preference

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Messi takes it, but personally I just prefer watching Ronaldo.

He just seems more explosive, more powerful. His standing jump height is extraordinary 

Watching Messi when he was with Xavi, Iniesta was pure joy. Haven’t enjoyed him as much the last couple years, and his form has plummeted since COVID.

Ronaldo has proven more IMO, across Europe and is still smashing them in and is older than Messi 

Just a personal preference

Messi has looked a shadow of his best this season but up to last weekend was still top scorer in La Liga. Juventus are currently a much more balanced side than Barcelona, which helps. Ronaldo's fitness and dedication to this is phenomenal though and he is a fantastic goal scorer.

Ultimately, they are two incredible footballers. I'll always go with Messi, but that's not to dismiss what an incredible player Ronaldo is.

The biggest compliment that I can pay to Ronaldo is how hard he has had to work in order to become what he is.

Messi is a prodigy. He was born to be a phenomenal footballer.

Ronaldo has worked tirelessly at his craft. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Ultimately, they are two incredible footballers. I'll always go with Messi, but that's not to dismiss what an incredible player Ronaldo is.

The biggest compliment that I can pay to Ronaldo is how hard he has had to work in order to become what he is.

Messi is a prodigy. He was born to be a phenomenal footballer.

Ronaldo has worked tirelessly at his craft. 

Ronaldo made his professional debut at 16 and was the British transfer record for a teenager-a prodigy also.