This transfer window - Wing backs

11 minutes ago, Barnwood62 said:

Well if we are to use the 3-5-2 system then I’m afraid Palmer & Börner are not capable players in that position, Palmers no good at centre back & Borners too slow

You can add Lees to that list as well. So we are saying, the only players the system suits are Iorfa and Penney You couldn’t make it up

Edited by gurujuan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

OK this is a conundrum for me, and one we need to sort out quickly as we need to get on with recruitment. If we are going to operate a three at the back system, then it’s crucial that we have proficient wing backs 

It’s not my preferred system, but if it’s the one Monk wants to use, then how can we best operate it. As far as I can see, we have one genuine wing back on our books, in Matt Penney. Harris and Reach have been tried there, but both have been found wanting defensively. Ditto Murphy when he was here. In fact Murphy’s better performances came when he was introduced from the bench His talents are wasted at wing back, in my opinion. I think Harris could possibly be converted into an effective wing back, but for that to work, I think he’d need to switch to the right. 
I have discounted Odubajo, as he was transfer listed, and unless his recall has changed the situation, he’s likely to be offloaded. I do feel using the likes of Harris, Murphy and Reach, is nothing more than a stop gap, so if proper wing backs are recruited, what would be the future for those wingers? As I see it, there is no role for wingers in the new system, other than perhaps as an impact sub

What was he called Guru?

Played on the left, probably our best pound for pound defender at the time. 

Very good tackler, could find a pass & could whip excellent crosses in.

Can't remember his name now, but i recall he wasn't so popular with the Bi polar element among the fan base.

On 25/07/2020 at 11:11, timrud said:

We looked FAR better with 3-5-2 when it was Lees-Iorfa-Borner. These will all be with us next season.

When Palmer went into that back 3 we had all our shockers.

Wing back wise, Harris and Murphy were excellent. Harris will be with us again next term, so it is just a case of finding a new Murphy.

As @gurujuan is suggesting we could switch Harris to right wing back and play Penney at LWB.