This transfer window - Wing backs

OK this is a conundrum for me, and one we need to sort out quickly as we need to get on with recruitment. If we are going to operate a three at the back system, then it’s crucial that we have proficient wing backs 

It’s not my preferred system, but if it’s the one Monk wants to use, then how can we best operate it. As far as I can see, we have one genuine wing back on our books, in Matt Penney. Harris and Reach have been tried there, but both have been found wanting defensively. Ditto Murphy when he was here. In fact Murphy’s better performances came when he was introduced from the bench His talents are wasted at wing back, in my opinion. I think Harris could possibly be converted into an effective wing back, but for that to work, I think he’d need to switch to the right. 
I have discounted Odubajo, as he was transfer listed, and unless his recall has changed the situation, he’s likely to be offloaded. I do feel using the likes of Harris, Murphy and Reach, is nothing more than a stop gap, so if proper wing backs are recruited, what would be the future for those wingers? As I see it, there is no role for wingers in the new system, other than perhaps as an impact sub

I don’t really like the look of 352, other than Bristol away this season - I think that was because we scored early and could spread out and control it a bit. 

Other than that, wingbacks seem to do to much running the other away. 

I’d prefer 4 at the back. 

I think we need a new solid Left back - Fox used to give us good balance in the back four in our more solid games. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

I don’t really like the look of 352, other than Bristol away this season - I think that was because we scored early and could spread out and control it a bit. 

Other than that, wingbacks seem to do to much running the other away. 

I’d prefer 4 at the back. 

I think we need a new solid Left back - Fox used to give us good balance in the back four in our more solid games. 

That would be my preference, but I was just trying to debate what might be Monk’s likely set up

Guest wilyfox

Wing-back is a very hard position to recruit for and make work well. Wolves have two of the best in the business right now in Jonny & Doherty. Where we're gonna find quality at this level on a budget...difficult. Irony is, Odubajo did it very well at Hull. But here, keeps making defensive errors. One player I can think of is Scott Malone who showed the necessary skills set whilst at Fulham, but he's 29 now which would turn a lot of people off him. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Wing-back is a very hard position to recruit for and make work well. Wolves have two of the best in the business right now in Jonny & Doherty. Where we're gonna find quality at this level on a budget...difficult. Irony is, Odubajo did it very well at Hull. But here, keeps making defensive errors. One player I can think of is Scott Malone who showed the necessary skills set whilst at Fulham, but he's 29 now which would turn a lot of people off him. 

I think you can find them, but we might need to look to loan signings to fulfil that role. Wigan did it effectively by borrowing James and Robinson from Chelsea and Everton respectively. If we are willing to forsake experience, then most top flight youngsters should fit the bill. Premier League youngsters, generally have speed as a prerequisite, have bags of energy, and are good on the ball. Out of interest, do you think Harris could be converted into an effective right wing back?

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

That would be my preference, but I was just trying to debate what might be Monk’s likely set up

As tedious as it sounds - we get rid of Monk first. 

I don’t trust him to train the team well enough to do much. 

4-3-3 Would be my preference btw. 

We don’t know if 3-5-2 is Monk’s preferred system . It may have been his short term plan to make the best of what he had until the end of the season and the new transfer window.

He now has the opportunity for a complete re set with a new set of acquisitions and outgoings.

Awaits with interest (if indeed he is retained as manager).

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

I think you can find them, but we might need to look to loan signings to fulfil that role. Wigan did it effectively by borrowing James and Robinson from Chelsea and Everton respectively. If we are willing to forsake experience, then most top flight youngsters should fit the bill. Premier League youngsters, generally have speed as a prerequisite, have bags of energy, and are good on the ball. Out of interest, do you think Harris could be converted into an effective right wing back?

Harris does track back instinctively, which is a plus. He's fit enough & strong enough for the dual-purpose role. Still needs to sort out his end product going forward. I don't know whether it's confidence or quality, but second half of season was s real grind for him. 

1 minute ago, Kopparberg said:

Could probably do a job there as he has a good engine - however I think he’s too far away from goal there. 

Although most of his defensive frailties are because he’s easily wrong footed In theory at least, his crossing should be better on his best foot, the right

Guest timrud

We looked FAR better with 3-5-2 when it was Lees-Iorfa-Borner. These will all be with us next season.

When Palmer went into that back 3 we had all our shockers.

Wing back wise, Harris and Murphy were excellent. Harris will be with us again next term, so it is just a case of finding a new Murphy.

20 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

I think Harris could but as you say probably on the right. His lack of consistent end product rules him out further forward long term for me.

He's a grafter, quick and has a great attitude so things to work with.

By the way I think that there's a player in Odubajo if he can reduce the frequency of his mistakes.

I also think Odubajo is a player and will play a key role in this system.

6 minutes ago, timrud said:

We looked FAR better with 3-5-2 when it was Lees-Iorfa-Borner. These will all be with us next season.

When Palmer went into that back 3 we had all our shockers.

Wing back wise, Harris and Murphy were excellent. Harris will be with us again next term, so it is just a case of finding a new Murphy.

1 minute ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I also think Odubajo is a player and will play a key role in this system.

I don’t think there’s any evidence to suggest that any of the wing backs tried were effective. Odubajo, the only one of those who’s actually been a success in the position previously, was shocking. 
Rash tackles, he was an accident waiting to happen. How many 40 yard balls did Hector ping in behind him Don’t recall him creating a single opportunity going forward either. Harris, Murphy and Reach have absolutely no awareness of the defensive positions they need to take up. I like Murphy, but his best stuff was when he operated as a right winger from the bench