Honolulu Wednesday

10 minutes ago, Nut said:

No. First time i heard it was on the way to West Ham in the early 80'. We were inside the motorway services when a coach came in and some of the lads on it were wearing blue and white. The song started and the other lads just looked bewildered so chaos ensued. The coach was Huddersfield Town. I think the words were:

Honolulu baby, where'd you get that smile, 

Honolulu baby, where'd you get that smile.

Got a dark complexion, that drives me wild,

Honolulu baby, where'd you get that smile.

First time i heard the WAWAW tune was at Peterborough a few years ago but the words were 'Sheffield Wednesday ole'. A few weeks after they had changed to WAWAW.

Seriously think you have got it mixed up. 

Were all Wednesday aren't we? Was used by fans to identify each other in pubs etc. Used by the naughtier element at first in the 80s and was only spoken, might even go further back. 

It was as you say it was put to "music" a few years ago.

Honolulu Baby, I have only ever know it, as happy go lucky song.  I don't recognise your lyrics either apart from the first line but that's by the by, I never know what the proper words are either.

No doubt that incident happened, but think I you are conflating two things.

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Seriously think you have got it mixed up. 

Were all Wednesday aren't we? Was used by fans to identify each other in pubs etc. Used by the naughtier element at first in the 80s and was only spoken, might even go further back. 

It was as you say it was put to "music" a few years ago.

Honolulu Baby, I have only ever know it, as happy go lucky song.  I don't recognise your lyrics either apart from the first line but that's by the by, I never know what the proper words are either.

No doubt that incident happened, but think I you are conflating two things.

It was definitely Honolulu baby that was sung on the services inspector, maybe 80/81 as I was still at school. I heard it at matches as well. I'd not heard WAWAW as a saying or song until 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe we just moved in different circles. 

Just now, Nut said:

It was definitely Honolulu baby that was sung on the services inspector, maybe 80/81 as I was still at school. I heard it at matches as well. I'd not heard WAWAW as a saying or song until 6 or 7 years ago. Maybe we just moved in different circles. 

I agree that it was sang that day, and agree that WAWAW wasn't sang up until a few years ago. 

Just saying WAWAW was used as a way to recognise other Wednesday fans since at least the early 80s.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephen Johnson said:

First time poster here.started going to away matches 79/80 season 14 years old.1st heard Honolulu baby was at Bristol city around February 81.i think we lost 1_0  on open end behind next it was cold and snowing

Sound about right, and welcome to the nut house.

Should you want to introduce yourself, click on the below.