Honolulu Wednesday

Incredibly, next April will mark TWENTY years since the Honolulu Wednesday game at Carrow Rd. Feeling old?!

What are your memories?

Got any pictures to share?

I left it too late to get an away ticket, so ended up in with the home fans. The atmosphere from the away section was electric. The Norwich supporters thought it was brilliant. I was so jealous that I couldn’t be in that stand with my fellow Owls.

• Like 1

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I went, Rotherham Owls took a mini bus, and we had a right weekend.  Stopped in Great Yarmouth for the night.  The atmosphere in the ground was brilliant, Wednesday fans never stopped singing, Rotherham Owls started the song. 

After the game we were sat in the pub waiting for the train to Great Yarmouth, when a Norwich fan came running in, skidding on the slippery floor followed by two coppers who dived on him and quickly dragged him away, he was shouting at us no idea why it was very surreal. 

Two of the lads got in to handbags in the train station with some of Norwich's lads. Which surprised me as the day had been so jovial but it was quickly sorted.

That night In Great Yarmouth coming out of a pub I got separated from them (no they didn't run off to get away from me) and whilst looking for them I had a portion of Fish and Chips, a beef burger and a Kebab, I was peckish.  Eventually I found them in another pub, and we went to a nightclub only us lot were in until some lasses came in, one smiled at me, so I claim that as a pull. It eventually filled up and more Wednesday fans came in and Honolulu Wednesday was heard yet again. A smashing time was had by all.  On the walk back to the BB, I had some pizza I was peckish.

Eventually got back to the BB was woken up by one of the lads setting off a fire extinguisher in my room, then a bit later another lad who was got naked got into bed with me and fell promptly asleep.  I decided to sleep on the floor.

After a hearty breakfast I was peckish, then I went to pay my bill whilst I was paying, half of the lads did a runner.  The owner tried to get me to pay but I politely declined. 

Honolulu Wednesday is one of my favourite songs, no idea why it should be a Wednesday song, never heard it sung by other fans (not even Derby fans).

I didn't wear a grass skirt.  But the middle class types did.

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Here's a video from much later of our fans singing it

Now THAT makes me feel old. Can see me and my then group of mates jumping about with the lad in the Blue and Green hat. Not spoken to him for about 5 years and I was the best man at his wedding... might just message him actually, cheers Neil. 

I was there, fantastic support, I remember to Norwich fans watched us more than the game.As we came out of the ground they all clapped and were shaking our hands, Three lads invited us to their local and bought us drinks. Fantastic. 

• Like 1

Guest Grandad

An idea that started on here, like so many of the brilliant away games that have gone down in Wednesday folklore

It started as a 'fighting' song. I first heard it in the early 80's when I started going to away matches. The words were slightly different but as it was an unusual song, you'd only know them if you supported Wednesday so would be 'outed' if you didn't join in. 

3 hours ago, Rodger Wylde said:

It used to be alot better when it was sung mcuh slower.

Yeah it’s definitely a lot better when it’s slowed down!

Our last game at Brentford it was actually sung for the longest time I’ve heard for years, must’ve been going for a good 5-10 mins+

As others have said it’s fantastic as it makes absolutely no sense 

First heard us sing the song half time at Preston in the snow years ago, when we were in that wooden stand! 

Is that the first time we sang it?

We were garbage that day, lost 2-0 I think and Ekoku missed a sitter with his head, hitting the bar. 

lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/pne-news/memory-match-preston-north-ends-second-half-blast-swept-aside-sheffield-wednesday-667633#gsc.tab=0

You times were weird when Des was on free kicks..

Des Walker delivered a free-kick into the box, one which striker Efan Ekoku flung himself forward to meet.

Edited by Owls2k

Guest Grandad
7 hours ago, Owls2k said:

First heard us sing the song half time at Preston in the snow years ago, when we were in that wooden stand! 

Is that the first time we sang it?

We were garbage that day, lost 2-0 I think and Ekoku missed a sitter with his head, hitting the bar

I bet that hurt

10 hours ago, Nut said:

It started as a 'fighting' song. I first heard it in the early 80's when I started going to away matches. The words were slightly different but as it was an unusual song, you'd only know them if you supported Wednesday so would be 'outed' if you didn't join in. 

First time I've heard of that, are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with WAWAW?   

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

First time I've heard of that, are you sure you're not getting it mixed up with WAWAW?   

No. First time i heard it was on the way to West Ham in the early 80's. We were inside the motorway services when a coach came in and some of the lads on it were wearing blue and white. The song started and the other lads just looked bewildered so chaos ensued. The coach was Huddersfield Town. I think the words were:

Honolulu baby, where'd you get that smile, 

Honolulu baby, where'd you get that smile.

Got a dark complexion, that drives me wild,

Honolulu baby, where'd you get that smile.

First time i heard the WAWAW tune was at Peterborough a few years ago but the words were 'Sheffield Wednesday ole'. A few weeks later they had changed to WAWAW.

Edited by Nut
Spelling