Peter Atherton

Peter Atherton - How do you rate him?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Peter Atherton - How do you rate him?

• Solid Performer - Never Let Us Down
    • Bang Average - Nothing Special
    • Terrible - Below Average Player

3 hours ago, sexpistol said:

Booth had a ‘decent’ first season. After that he was shocking imo. The fans liked him as he was a trier, but he was hopeless in front of goal and so slow.

I think he got 13 in his first season. If that happened now he’d be worth loads and probably get capped. He had a bit of speed to get in behind (I’m thinking Leeds away) But he then only got another 15 or so from 1997-2000! I think the knee injury he got slowed him down, he became more of a aerial target for the Italians to play off and I thought he used to run like he’d put his back out And looked shattered:duntmatter:

A bit like Rhodes now he would show glimpses like that hattrick at home to Bolton but never got it back. Pleat even took him to spurs!

It would’ve been good to keep hold of him in div1 as he scored loads back at Huddersfield and we sold him for about 100k

On 22/05/2020 at 01:10, katie melua said:

When Big Ron came back in for his second spell, he knew what to do with the defence. He could see that defensively, we were all over the show and I include Atherton in this

Des Walker was the only decent defender we had from the days where we once had Nilsson, Anderson, Pearson and Worthington. Ron saw this and went and signed Andy Hinchcliffe, Emerson Thome, Earl Barratt and Goce Sedloski. Atkinson was also hoping to sign Matt Jackson from Everton during the summer but Richards gave him the boot before that deal could be completed. He was hoping to move Nolan, Atherton, Briscoe on during the summer as well as a lot of others

Atkinson was also hoping to bring in a couple of midfielders as well, we were hoping to sign Gary Speed but he went to Newcastle in the end. I think he was looking at Steve Stone from Nottingham Forest from memory

Richards decided no and that was that. 

This post basically says it all. 

Peter Atherton was a good solid championship (as is now Division 1 then) center back. That for some reason we played RB in the premier league as he was reliable and worked hard. 

On 24/05/2020 at 09:24, Bluesteel said:

Was watching highlights back the other day and Whittingham was probably one of the better signings of that lot. Really underrated 

I don't disagree with that, but it doesn't mean that he was of the quality we should have been seeking...….although in fairness, it's quite a low bar (relatively speaking) when comparing to the other names. 

On 23/05/2020 at 14:52, Lincs Owl said:

He was half way between bang average and solid performer.  Neither a fancy Dan, nor a donkey.  Not brilliant by Prem standards, but 100% player, the type we could use at the moment.  

On 2nd thoughts, I'm doing him a disservice.  If he was in his 20's again, he'd walk into our current side.  

Completely agree with you but at the time, as a top Premier League team, we should have been looking for a better quality replacement (accepting it would have been high on impossible to get someone of a similar quality to Nilsson)   

2 hours ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I don't disagree with that, but it doesn't mean that he was of the quality we should have been seeking...….although in fairness, it's quite a low bar (relatively speaking) when comparing to the other names. 

Well yeah I remember at the time it didn’t feel like a replacement more depth and supplementing those players. When it came to spending I don’t think we were in the reserved or extravagant camp just in the middle and that cost us longer term. The next waddles and walkers suddenly cost what we wouldn’t pay but others would lend the money to do so. The start of a game on credit which hasn’t stopped.

12 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

This post basically says it all. 

Peter Atherton was a good solid championship (as is now Division 1 then) center back. That for some reason we played RB in the premier league as he was reliable and worked hard. 

Another odd decision in the world of Trevor Francis

Ian Nolan was a right back at Tranmere and stared in their league cup semi final matches against Aston Villa. Yet when Francis signs him, he moves him to left back for some odd reason - clearly showing that he was not a left back. I think Francis even played Simon Coleman at left back when he played centre back for most of his career before moving to us.

This included moving on Phil King who was a decent left back. A good back up to Nigel Worthington whenever he was injured.

Such a strange transfer period. 

On 22/05/2020 at 01:10, katie melua said:

When Big Ron came back in for his second spell, he knew what to do with the defence. He could see that defensively, we were all over the show and I include Atherton in this

Des Walker was the only decent defender we had from the days where we once had Nilsson, Anderson, Pearson and Worthington. Ron saw this and went and signed Andy Hinchcliffe, Emerson Thome, Earl Barratt and Goce Sedloski. Atkinson was also hoping to sign Matt Jackson from Everton during the summer but Richards gave him the boot before that deal could be completed. He was hoping to move Nolan, Atherton, Briscoe on during the summer as well as a lot of others

Atkinson was also hoping to bring in a couple of midfielders as well, we were hoping to sign Gary Speed but he went to Newcastle in the end. I think he was looking at Steve Stone from Nottingham Forest from memory

Richards decided no and that was that. 

I remember Atkinson saying he had Charvet in line to come in. Thome was a great free signing.

Matt Jackson if so, wouldnt have changed a thing and I think I’d rather have stuck with Atherton.

Hinchcliffe knew how to bang a free kick but from what I saw defensively at times...most of the time we didn’t see him at all :ph34r: