Peter Atherton

Peter Atherton - How do you rate him?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Peter Atherton - How do you rate him?

• Solid Performer - Never Let Us Down
    • Bang Average - Nothing Special
    • Terrible - Below Average Player

Screenshot 2020-05-21 at 21.37.16.jpg

PETER ATHERTON - SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

I've read mixed comments about Peter Atherton in other threads tonight ranging from 'he was a solid player' to 'he was totally awful' so thought I'd start a thread to see what the overall consensus is 

Reminder that when he played for us we were in the Premier League

Are you of the opinion he was a a solid performer or do you hold the view that he was terrible?

Or was he just 'average' ?

Owlstalk Shop

Here's the problem probably better than anybody we've had since him, but was a step down from the likes of Sterland, Nilsson and Harkes. 

For the £800k I think we paid a solid performer but we needed to sign better to progress. 

10 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Here's the problem probably better than anybody we've had since him, but was a step down from the likes of Sterland, Nilsson and Harkes. 

For the £800k I think we paid a solid performer but we needed to sign better to progress. 

We also sign Andy Pearce. He was shocking. 

Atherton will always be remembered for marking Mcmanaman out of the game when we beat Liverpool at anfield. He should have been born Italian would have been appreciated in Serie A 

18 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Sums him up pretty well. He played consistently for many years in the Premier League under different managers so to say he was awful is harsh.

However, when we signed him we had finished the previous 3 seasons in 2nd, 7th and 7th and had got to 2 cup finals and a semi final. 

He was an average Premier League defender at that time but at the time we signed him we were a better than average Premier League team. 

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

whats the difference between solid performer or someone whos average ?.......atherton was ok in an average premier league type of player 

I struggled with the question to. Let’s be honest a large majority of Wednesday players have been average and nothing special.  How many fans of other PL teams would be able to say who Peter atherton was? Having said that he was a solid performer for us at a time we had a bang average PL team 

17 minutes ago, whatdial said:

We also sign Andy Pearce. He was shocking. 

Atherton will always be remembered for marking Mcmanaman out of the game when we beat Liverpool at anfield. He should have been born Italian would have been appreciated in Serie A 

I have fond memories of a cup game against Chelsea, although we lost to a late goal,  Vialli was looking for trouble with Atherton all game, but came off decidedly worse. Poleaxed.

Atherton was a steady player, not his fault he was bought to replace the best right back we ever had, who was a truly world class player.

Just now, Owls-Fan said:

I struggled with the question to. Let’s be honest a large majority of Wednesday players have been average and nothing special.  How many fans of other PL teams would be able to say who Peter atherton was? Having said that he was a solid performer for us at a time we had a bang average PL team 

mike lyons played most of his career in the top flight ,never won sod all , no caps and probably never even considered for one .  .....so you'd think an average centre back at that level . to me an average top flight player as got to be considered decent and both Atherton &  lyons played a long time in the top flight . 

12 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Sound bloke anawl.

Watched Man Ure win the European Cup with him and his family in the bar.

Think he was still captain then.

Stood next to his mum and dad at the sty when he scored as we beat the blunts 3-1 in a pre season game in 1995.

Decent player for Wednesday was Atherton. Rarely injured, pretty much ever present in the years he was here - must be up there in the most appearances for Wednesday in the last 50 years. Off the top of my head can only think of Pressman, Walker, Worthington and Hirst who’ll have played more games than him for the club.

Main problem was he wasn’t anywhere near as good as the man he replaced. Atherton, Nolan and Pearce were downgrades on Nilsson, Worthington and Pearson.

Dan Petrescu had the quality to replace Nilsson if we were going to continue competing at the top end of the premier league but we sold him to Chelsea after one season for peanuts. Chelsea got a great deal with Petrescu from us

I voted solid performer and mentioned he was okay in another thread. I will say though that Atherton was a terrible passer of the football imo.

His first goal for Wednesday was one of the best I have seen a Wednesday player score. Anyone else remember his worldly away to Villa?

Edited by sexpistol

Guest struckanerve

His high point for us was marking Steve McManaman out of a game at Anfield, which I believe we won 1-0. Can't be a bad player to mark a prime Steve McManaman out of a match at their place. He didn't come across as captain  material to me; bit like Tom Lees at present. The bigger shame was never finding a top quality centre back to play alongside Des Walker.

Edited by struckanerve

33 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

I voted solid performer and mentioned he was okay in another thread. I will say though that Atherton was a terrible passer of the football imo.

His first goal for Wednesday was one of the best I have seen a Wednesday player score. Anyone else remember his worldly away to Villa?

He could certainly hit a ball.

I can hit a golf ball 300 yards, if I’m lucky they usually end up on another fairway. Normally they land  somewhere they can’t be seen.

When Big Ron came back in for his second spell, he knew what to do with the defence. He could see that defensively, we were all over the show and I include Atherton in this

Des Walker was the only decent defender we had from the days where we once had Nilsson, Anderson, Pearson and Worthington. Ron saw this and went and signed Andy Hinchcliffe, Emerson Thome, Earl Barratt and Goce Sedloski. Atkinson was also hoping to sign Matt Jackson from Everton during the summer but Richards gave him the boot before that deal could be completed. He was hoping to move Nolan, Atherton, Briscoe on during the summer as well as a lot of others

Atkinson was also hoping to bring in a couple of midfielders as well, we were hoping to sign Gary Speed but he went to Newcastle in the end. I think he was looking at Steve Stone from Nottingham Forest from memory

Richards decided no and that was that. 

• Like 2

Too poor on the ball to be a defensive midfielder, too slow and limited in attack for full back, and not quite commanding enough to be a centre half. Whole-hearted 6/10 kind of guy normally. Good to have in a squad, but ideally not an ever-present, like he was for 6 years.