Nothing other than a red card

6 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Just been chatting with my Brother ( he's a paramedic and was working the game Sunday and was on the South Stand side right at the side of the dugouts ) Robinson didn't see the tackle clearly and asked the 4th official for advice. The 4th official said to Robinson that he thought Palmer was making the most of it when he was smacking the ground with his hand whilst down 

Robinson asked which colour card the 4th official said "definitely yellow"

Bloody hell.  

27 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Just been chatting with my Brother ( he's a paramedic and was working the game Sunday and was on the South Stand side right at the side of the dugouts ) Robinson didn't see the tackle clearly and asked the 4th official for advice. The 4th official said to Robinson that he thought Palmer was making the most of it when he was smacking the ground with his hand whilst down 

Robinson asked which colour card the 4th official said "definitely yellow"

To be fair, if he didn’t see it, he can’t send him off. I sit 20 yards from where he was tackled, and I think you can always tell when it’s a bad one, by the way the crowd react. In games like that, that weren’t particularly fractious, the reaction alone must have told the ref something. I’m convinced half of decisions are given by refs on the reaction of crowds and players. Strange decision, and last nights at Derby was uncannily similar. 

The only time I can remember us not being a complete soft touch was under Megson.

Bar that, we are always soft as sh*t.

Goes back to this group of players always waiting for something to happen rather than forcing it to happen. 

For once cant they seize the initiative? Be proactive, rather than always reactive?

Teams shouldn't be coming to S6 and getting away with tackles like that. At the very least, someone should have smashed through Hoilett afterward (no leg breaking, but let him know you're there) to get the lads and crowd geed up a bit. 

But no, nothing. 

1 hour ago, Lawrie Madden said:

The 4th official said to Robinson that he thought Palmer was making the most of it when he was smacking the ground with his hand whilst down...

I'd agree with that statement. But it's still not relevant to what colour card the referee should have shown. You can, after all, be sent off for intent alone, with no contact whatsoever. A challenge like that will receive a red card way more often than it gets a yellow, as was the case in the Derby game.

42 minutes ago, vulva said:

To be fair, if he didn’t see it, he can’t send him off.

If that's the case, you really have to question his competence (or his honesty). You can excuse an official for missing stuff that is happening away from the ball, but Palmer was cleaned out with the ball basically at his feet.