Nothing other than a red card

Hoilett 'tackle' on Palmer - :  “I don’t want red cards for players, it’s not about the individual but if you’re talking about the tackle, it’s nothing  other than a red card. It’s reckless and it’s out of control, whether your feet are on the floor or not.

I’ve got a player on the treatment player with an ankle the size of a balloon and if you can’t see that from four yards away as the fourth official or the referee, you have to ask them.

image.png.bad1b8b91d4153b1d97a2b0a856626b9.png

If it was just a normal tackle like they said it was then why has he got a yellow card? It’s either nothing or it’s a red card, it can’t be a yellow card.  You’d have to ask them. I don’t understand it, I don’t understand how they’ve come to that decision.  Don't let this interfere with the result. I'm not  excusing that.  This is totally something else a different subject.  But this is a red card. "

- Monk

“I thought it was borderline. it was right in front of me at the time and I thought the speed that it happened, it looked worse than it was.

What I will say is that Junior has hardly been booked in about eight seasons of football, so he’s not a malicious player.

It doesn’t make the tackle right or wrong with that, but his foot was clearly on the floor.

Neil Harris

14 minutes ago, Pulsar said:

Hmm okay ^^^

Diplomatic (blinkered) words from Neil Millwall Harris.

No manager is (or very few managers are) going to admit their player subjected a potential leg-breaking foul on an opponent. The fact that Harris says it wa borderline speaks volumes about how bad it actually was. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 1

When I was watching the game, part of me was expecting Monk to go mental after the tackle went in.  Even if it got him sent into the stands.  

Could have influenced the ref to give a red to Hoilett, and could have changed the outcome of the game if they were reduced to 10.  A key moment in the game that we failed to capitalise on.  

2 hours ago, Ronio said:

When I was watching the game, part of me was expecting Monk to go mental after the tackle went in.  Even if it got him sent into the stands.  

Could have influenced the ref to give a red to Hoilett, and could have changed the outcome of the game if they were reduced to 10.  A key moment in the game that we failed to capitalise on.  

So it’s monks fault we didn’t get any points from the game because he didn’t get sent to the stands. Brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Never seen the centre of the South Stand all go up in outrage together before. The referees have a little cosy private club where the pay is excellent and in the main better performing  newer younger applicants on merit are NOT   encouraged !

Seems so....to get a ref job, you'd better "dumb down" and not threaten the abilities of your "superiors."  I-Follow focuses on the pitch, never pans out into the stands, I can just imagine the Kop if the "gentrified Stand" was up in arms.  

I screamed red but it was never going to be given.

The ref set his stall out early by allowing play on when Winnall got a nudge in the back and then penalising Lees (I think) for an identical challenge about 30 seconds later. I've seen worse refereeing performances (big fan of him adding on seven minutes to each half... primaily due to the injuries but I think it also compensated for the ridiculously slow, timewasting nature of everything Cardiff did) but it seemed he was determined to give any borderline decisions to Cardiff in an attempt not to be a 'home ref'.

You have to ask if that wasn't worthy of a red, what was? And i think the answer probably would have been evident had Hutchinson made a similar challenge in 'retribution'.

Disgraceful decision not to give a red. Our players should have been hounding the ref and threatening their player to stick up for palmer. Don't care if it wouldn't have changed anything, at least it would have shown some fight and spirit. 

Related note. Var is being roundly criticised and is hated by most. I reckon if we played in a league that had it we'd be better off. That was a red and would have been one. We have penalty decisions turned down every other game that would probably be given. Nowt goes our way though. 

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

“I thought it was borderline. it was right in front of me at the time and I thought the speed that it happened, it looked worse than it was.

What I will say is that Junior has hardly been booked in about eight seasons of football, so he’s not a malicious player.

It doesn’t make the tackle right or wrong with that, but his foot was clearly on the floor.

Neil Harris

Just the 28 yellow cards in the last 8 seasons, Neil.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/junior-hoilett/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/58993

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, latemodelchild said:

Disgraceful decision not to give a red. Our players should have been hounding the ref and threatening their player to stick up for palmer. Don't care if it wouldn't have changed anything, at least it would have shown some fight and spirit. 

Related note. Var is being roundly criticised and is hated by most. I reckon if we played in a league that had it we'd be better off. That was a red and would have been one. We have penalty decisions turned down every other game that would probably be given. Nowt goes our way though. 

We beat Bristol after being awarded a soft penalty. Stoke also had an absolute stonewall penalty turned down against us.

I just think the referees should have to become accountable for there decisions and have to justify them 

every game pre and post managers and players are interviewed I think if you interview the referee after the game they would be less likely to make such howlers 

also VAR is not the answer especially in the current format we’ve seen it’s ruining the premier league 

how about the referees have 1 hour after the final whistle to review the big decisions obviously they won’t be able to overturn goals as they change the result but they can overturn the red card/ no red card decisions before submitting their reports they can then stand there like managers and players a like and be interviewed 

I’m getting a little fed up of these so called officials being told it’s a hard job and they need better protecting all that’s happening is they are given licence  to make poor decisions then hide behind how difficult it is or the game is ruined is getting slowed down and ruined by that VAR nonsense   which asks the questions what on earth is the point of the linesman in the premier league 

needs a massive review 

you don't like to see it but often now you need to try and influence the referee's decision any way you can. As soon as that tackle wen't in the players should have been in the ref's face kicking off, pushing and shoving their guy etc. You see this all the time and it DOES influence the referee's decision. We don't do enough of this as a team IMO, we've been a soft touch for years dating way back to the prem days.