Leaving A Player Up When Defending- Basic Common Sense.

Anyone notice against Brentford, even at 1-0 down we had everyone back in our box and Brentford pushed every outfield player within 30 yards of our goal and the keeper near enough on the halfway line? We need an outlet, otherwise even if you clear the first ball it's coming straight back. Also if the keeper claims the corner you need a decent fast paced ball out to set up the counter, we don't have that. None of our keepers have a decent side volley (think fast, low trajectory pass into a good, threatening area) 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Lots of people still basing their opinions on what they got told by ‘coaches’ in the Sunday league rather than any actual research/data/insight about why it’s done...

You dont  need research or data to tell you that if you dont have a player up field to play the ball to , its going to keep on coming `straight back heaping more pressure on you.   You dont need fancy analysts , its basic common sense.    Football is a simple game  over complicated by idiots .                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Lots of people still basing their opinions on what they got told by ‘coaches’ in the Sunday league rather than any actual research/data/insight about why it’s done...

I managed teams at various levels (including Sundays  many moons  ago at the start!)

I always left 3 up top. One on the half way and two wide and a bit deeper. 

Worked a treat for us and I did the same thing when I moved on and up. 

Opposition often left 3 or 4 back when we did.

Did we concede more or less than we would have with everyone back? 

Don't know, because we didn't do it so it's supposition.

I do know my Keepers loved it. Less bodies in there, less jostling, able to come and claim stuff in relative freedom. Most of it is mental. A mental boost. And always got the opposition thinking because oat didn't expect it. 

We could have had 11 men back. But if they couldn't  head , were nesh or midgets I never saw the point. Other than hoping they 'got in the way' they never achieved anything. Any half clearance would end up getting put back in anyway as there no out ball.

Sexton once told me, and it always stuck with me,

"There can be 22 players in there. But there's only one player going to get on the end of it. " 

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.