Leaving A Player Up When Defending- Basic Common Sense.

One of basics of the game is to leave a man up near the half way line at all times to give you an out ball when defending set pieces and opposition attacks. The amount of times we cleared the ball today only for it to come straight back was annoying. Their second goal came because of exactly this.  Leave either Harris or Murphy up there. Neither of them are going to win any headers defending, so have them as as outlet with their pace, which would have made Stoke keep two players back defending. 

I just cannot believe we didn't do one the basics today   and we were punished for it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

One of basics of the game is to leave a man up near the half way line at all times to give you an out ball when defending set pieces and opposition attacks. The amount of times we cleared the ball today only for it to come straight back was annoying. Their second goal came because of exactly this.  Leave either Harris or Murphy up there. Neither of them are going to win any headers defending, so have them as as outlet with their pace, which would have made Stoke keep two players back defending. 

I just cannot believe we didn't do one the basics today   and we were punished for it. 

Preferably a wide man on the touchline with speed who can cause a few problems and await reinforcements for some possession football

7 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Yes we seem to do this quite abit, going back to before monk. Don't see any other teams do it. Get your quick lad who's no use defending corners up to the half way line and make them keep 2 back, don't get everyone back in our box inviting them to throw bodies in to the mix. Schoolboy stuff surely. 

2 minutes ago, JOCOWl said:

Yes we seem to do this quite abit, going back to before monk. Don't see any other teams do it. Get your quick lad who's no use defending corners up to the half way line and make them keep 2 back, don't get everyone back in our box inviting them to throw bodies in to the mix. Schoolboy stuff surely. 

As you say, it's a simple ploy that makes them leave two men back, which give us an advantage numbers wise in our own box. 

What happens if the opposites call your bluff and just leave a 1v1, then what do you do?

What if it’s a better option to get bodies in between the opposite and the goals, knowing they will likely win the first header?

Not saying I agree with pulling everyone back, but it’s not as simple as it seems...

...and you never get these threads when we don’t concede from corners (which is about 95% of the time we face them)

• Haha 1

Just now, S36 OWL said:

As you say, it's a simple ploy that makes them leave two men back, which give us an advantage numbers wise in our own box. 

If I was Stoke - a team build on aerial threat - I’d just send my players forward anyway and have the extra man in the box.

Then would you advocate conceding a marker to leave one upfront?

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

If I was Stoke - a team build on aerial threat - I’d just send my players forward anyway and have the extra man in the box.

I've never, ever seen a team take the risk of leaving a man unmarked on the half way line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

That’s not what I said.

What does this mean then? How would they have an extra man in the box otherwise?

14 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

What does this mean then? How would they have an extra man in the box otherwise?

It means leaving a 1 v 1

As per my question above. 

If we leave Harris upfront and Stoke leave 2 defenders back to mark him, I would just send one forward and leave a 1 v 1.

I bet very few managers would allow Stoke to have a spare man in the box (or completely uncovered posts) and therefore would send Harris back to defend

19 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

What happens if the opposites call your bluff and just leave a 1v1, then what do you do?

Someone is going to take the corner, so that's a one man advantage. Plus, when you say 1v1, I assume you don't mean the goalie, so in effect it is 2v1 at the back.

So 10 of ours back defending and 8 of theirs attacking it. Bringing all 5'7" of Harris back to defend the corner isn't going to help too much on top of the 10 men we already have defending it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

It means leaving a 1 v 1

As per my question above. 

If we leave Harris upfront and Stoke leave 2 defenders back to mark him, I would just send one forward and leave a 1 v 1.

I bet very few managers would allow Stoke to have a spare man in the box (or completely uncovered posts) and therefore would send Harris back to defend

You should have said that then rather than saying 'I'd just send my players forward anyway'....

32 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Yh I’ve noticed that. We did it at youth football..  do they get it coached out of them as professionals. if you leave 2 up they have to match you or leave 3 back. Less bodies in the box and a break away attack if we can find a pass or a hoof 

19 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Someone is going to take the corner, so that's a one man advantage. Plus, when you say 1v1, I assume you don't mean the goalie, so in effect it is 2v1 at the back.

So 10 of ours back defending and 8 of theirs attacking it. Bringing all 5'7" of Harris back to defend the corner isn't going to help too much on top of the 10 men we already have defending it.

Too simplistic IMO. You usually have a mixture of man for man and zonal.

There’s usually a front player to cut out the dangerous low ball

There’s usually at least one player on a post

There’s a goalkeeper

There’s often a spare player (we use Fletcher for this) to attack the ball in the POMO.

Therefore a 1 v 1 left at the back usually results in an overload...

Which is why teams bring the extra player back.

If not, they need to sacrifice part of their defensive structure.

• Haha 1