West Brom -V- Wednesday OMDT

I thought we were with the better team.

Unfortunately, we are mentally weak as pi55 and once again threw away a game we should have won.

We play well and throw away points.

West Brom play ok and pick up 3 points.

And that's why they'll go up and we will finish about 10th. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I thought we were with the better team.

Unfortunately, we are mentally weak as pi55 and once again threw away a game we should have won.

We play well and throw away points.

West Brom play ok and pick up 3 points.

And that's why they'll go up and we will finish about 10th. 

This is why the manager has a near impossible job. 
I think he is a good manager, we are well organised and were very positive yesterday but it’s very difficult to change the mentality of players because it’s their character, it’s how they are.

We need some who will do anything to win , some leaders who stay solid and calm and unfortunately we also need two or three who are clever enough to keep falling over at the right time because we are so naive for such an experienced bunch of players it is unreal.

Just now, oldishowl said:

This is why the manager has a near impossible job. 
I think he is a good manager, we are well organised and were very positive yesterday but it’s very difficult to change the mentality of players because it’s their character, it’s how they are.

We need some who will do anything to win , some leaders who stay solid and calm and unfortunately we also need two or three who are clever enough to keep falling over at the right time because we are so naive for such an experienced bunch of players it is unreal.

Yep.

It is the same stuff time and time again.

Wednesday played pretty well, missed some great chances and conceded some sloppy goals.

Throw into that giving away stupid free kicks in and around our area which is one of our favs.

Heck, we deservedly equalise yesterday and then what happened? That's right! We panic and West Brom come within inches of making it 2-1 straight away.

It is like watching an old movie and expecting a different outcome. 

15 hours ago, peacock1961 said:

Got to agree that this set of players seem to be letting us down. To think that we started today with the same midfield as the play off final 4 years ago is not good. Revolution not evolution would seem to be what is required. And we have spent ourselves into ffp and possible points deduction. Borner and iorfa are the only bright lights, the rest have a history of failure after failure. 

I agree, been saying this for some time now.  The play off players failed consistently, time to move them on for fresh impetus.

Saying that, with the mess the club is in can't see that that is going to happen.  Oh happy days!!!

• Like 1

I’m not sure how to react to this “ mentally weak” accusation. Are the symptoms the same as “ lacking in concentration “ or “switching off” ?

Looking at our squad there aren’t many individuals that I would describe as being mentally weak... you’ve got to have a fairly robust mentality to run out in front of twenty thousand people every week, some of whom scream ill judged abuse at you...people who are  prepared to enter a sometimes hostile arena week in , week out are not mentally weak.

Maybe we should just accept that humans are fallible and some are quite likely to make the odd mistake in a pressure situation. They’re   not panicking because they’re mentally weak, it’s because they don’t have the skill set or quick judgment to make the right call.

If it wasn’t for the throwing away of games and all that’s gone on in the last months. I would of been confident and vaguely proud of that performance, albeit the defensive errors. 

But our luck and results need to change ASAP.

On 24/11/2019 at 12:05, scilly owl said:

Maybe we should just accept that humans are fallible and some are quite likely to make the odd mistake in a pressure situation. They’re   not panicking because they’re mentally weak, it’s because they don’t have the skill set or quick judgment to make the right call.

True enough.

Odd though that so many times their skills and judgements seem worse in the last ten minutes.

88, 10, 94, 32 ,91, 88 , 87