The reserves

The Professional Development league was what happened and it has hurt football across the board, while at the same time giving the top flight the best chance of developing youth.

Brought about to allow Premiership teams to continue to give their brightest youngsters good competitive football by shunting them out to lower league teams.

This could only be accomplished by abolishing reserve football, but in reality U23 football outside the top flight will rarely push up a talent now.

It was all about keeping the elite the elite to be honest.

Now, couple this up with the Football Academy Categories, and you really have stitched up lower league teams when it comes to developing young talent.

• Thanks 1

I remember Jon Newsome talking about his first time playing for the reserves.

He said he learned more in his very first match than he had in a whole season playing football for the Northern Intermediates. He said that playing against seasoned pros who’d been around really aided his development.

I think it’d be great for the young players but I’m not sure bringing the reserves back is on the cards, it seems the game has moved on and there doesn’t seem to be much appetite to bring reserve team football back.

• Thanks 1

I think the current set up does not work for the majority of teams in football league. The young players at the club do not play the best Academies and in order to improve you have to play against better players. We won league last year and now in U/23s it can be seen there is a fair gap between the two. The U/23s league again excludes all of top level Academies and have long thought it does not extend our young players as it stands. We have a large squad which helps block young players getting opportunities to play with first team.  I do accept not sending players out on loan has also not helped situation.

If there were proper reserve fixtures even if it was only 20 per year I think it would be a good help to bring the young players on. The leading academies now have EFL trophy games to help bring on players this is in addition to a more competitive fixture structure and some teams having European fixtures for their young players as well. The clubs in Championship are the ones who are missing out and something needs to change

An alternative would be arranging ad hoc games against teams, this depends on other teams being willing to play and no guarantee of decent opposition. The teams who would challenge the players will probably not be available or not interested in playing a team from league we are currently in.

Therefore fully support bringing back reserve fixtures or having youth and under 23 based on geographical basis (North and South) rather than Academy status. 

On 10/11/2019 at 12:56, Lord Snooty said:

I'd like to see it come back. 

I know there's the U23's and clubs arrange the odd behind closed doors Freindly games. 

But I'd really like to see the stiffs brought back full time.

It's not the same tempo. But it's football. It's match action on a full sized pitch.  There's no amount of training and 5-a-sides that can replicate being on a 115x75 pitch m with proper dimensions,  against 11 a side opposition. 

I look at the likes of Rhodes, Winnall, etc and they're getting no football. 

An odd game here or there with he kids is no use to man nor beast. 

Rattling a few goals in for a proper stiffs team wouldn't do them any harm at all and might even give them a little boost for when they do get a call to the firsts.  

Similarly those kids who aren't out on loan but are ready for a bit more than playing other kids. It would benefit them surely? 

BRING BACK THE STIFFS LEAGUE!

That league was perfect grounding for the likes of Roger Wylde and Eric Potts...

With the size of squads for football teams these days it makes sense.

I think the traveling and added cost for some clubs may have been an issue, therefore makes sense to have a local leagues or something of the sort. 

Lots of reserve/backup players get very little game time and it’s also a step up for the younger players.

I believe the changes to the football league trophy were made to get younger but players more game time against men, but personally I found those changes insulting to league 1 and 2 sides.