Feels like the cloud is lifting

20 minutes ago, Pulcinella said:

You can't put the blame on Jos for our defensive frailties. He's been given a hand of cards that few would desire. Carlos had much greater resources in terms of defence - and even then we still cried out for better quality defensive signings. We had Sasso on loan - whom we should've signed as he'd walk into the current set up. We had Venancio on loan - whom it's a great shame we weren't allowed to sign. We had a younger, better Loovens and a younger (still one of the better ones) Pudil. Oh and Jack Hunt as well.

I'm totally for the young ones to be blooded into the team. It's been a long time since we've been giving them the opportunity. It makes them work harder in training. They now know if they improve enough they can get in the team.

If we are not able to sign loans during this window, then I wonder whether there's a back door whereby we sign them for the development squad. We've managed to gain a goalkeeper that way.

We have to cut our cloth and diet. So long as we're safe this season, it really doesn't matter. Next summer we'll lose a load of players because contracts will end. No doubt that'll free up some money at least. Just hope we're safe, extend the better players' contracts and finish above rivals... though I think I have to exclude Leeds from rivals this year because that's probably a step too far!

I’m with you re our defensive frailties, however, why always the conservative approach to games We do have a shaky defence, then all the more reason to keep our opponents as far away from that defence as possible Why not take the game to them? We had exactly the same options as the Norwich game, bar Venancio, at the start of the season However, we set up negatively in that first game against Wigan, allowing them to swarm all over us It was as only when we introduced the extra forward, that we started to climb back into the game 

Then, failing to learn the lessons, it’s 2 up top against Hull again

I certainly don’t believe Jos is responsible for all our ills, far from it, but his negative tactics drive me nuts

Edited by gurujuan

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Clearly we lack that type of player, however, Carlos did manage to get those same players on the front foot in season one We also had enough pace and energy to destroy Norwich not that long ago 

Its also a mindset thing, and this is where the coach has to take some responsibility

CC had novel approach and odd tactics often have good results in first season, we got worked out towards end of first season and we went to defensive mode and this has been used ever since as we lack a certain type of player.

The team versus Norwich was slightly different to what we had last night and it was open game with Norwich missing chances and us getting stronger as game progressed.

Every team needs confidence the team was clearly short on confidence last night. Jos looked nervous as well. This summer has been unique and you can understand players being apprehensive and if they are daft enough to read social media and some of stupid comments made it will not help with confidence. If you watched last nights game you will have seen how team grew in confidence when a goal was scored and in second half with modification of tactics we controlled game and team finished game off well wherehas Sunderland had run out of legs.

in both previous games team have kept going and looked better as it goes on.

Joao is pace in team and key to last seasons recovery. He obviously has had some injury issue and this has made it more difficult.

You have to deal with players you have and get round their shortcomings, This involves finding out what players are capable of.

If you listened to commentary last night you will have heard Don Goodman praising Jos approach toyoung players and he relayed what Jos had told Kirny and said it was excellent man management.

many coaches would have put coat on and walked away from position Jos has been landed in. Absolutely moronic to think you can say change mindset of somebody easily in current situation.