Almen Abdi

Guest Arcadianrocket

The money wasted on Abdi, Van Aken and Rhodes is frustrating.

I can understand the Abdi signing, he was a quality player and it's just not worked out. This happens in football.

The Van Aken signing is a joke. We have waited 3 years to sign a CB and we then end up with him.

Rhodes as we have all discussed, probably wasn't even needed when we already had FF, Hooper, Joao, Fletcher and Nuhiu as well a just signed Winnall the day or so before.

That's almost 2 10m pound players we could have signed there. A Snodgrass and James Chester for example.

How we went from astute signings like FF, Hooper, Bannan, Pudil, Lees, Westwood, Hunt who probably all cost less then Rhodes, Abdi and Van Aken is baffling?

All we can hope for is some other club has crap scouts like ours.

Edited by Arcadianrocket

I think the criticism of van aken is not fair. 

He he hasn’t been perfect but for his age playing in the championship he’s shown enough to be worth a chance.

abdi and Rhodes could go tomorrow for me.

3 hours ago, AracdianDreamer said:

The money wasted on Abdi, Van Aken and Rhodes is frustrating.

I can understand the Abdi signing, he was a quality player and it's just not worked out. This happens in football.

The Van Aken signing is a joke. We have waited 3 years to sign a CB and we then end up with him.

Rhodes as we have all discussed, probably wasn't even needed when we already had FF, Hooper, Joao, Fletcher and Nuhiu as well a just signed Winnall the day or so before.

That's almost 2 10m pound players we could have signed there. A Snodgrass and James Chester for example.

How we went from astute signings like FF, Hooper, Bannan, Pudil, Lees, Westwood, Hunt who probably all cost less then Rhodes, Abdi and Van Aken is baffling?

All we can hope for is some other club has crap scouts like ours.

I am putting it down to the disbanding of the commitee, a big coincidence if not?

6 hours ago, ka58 said:

I think the criticism of van aken is not fair. 

He he hasn’t been perfect but for his age playing in the championship he’s shown enough to be worth a chance.

abdi and Rhodes could go tomorrow for me.

Agree - takes time for players to settle to pace of a league and a big move.  Look at Reach - total gashingtons in his first season, couldn't even pass to a team mate in PO semi vs Hudds.

We got sold absolute kippers in Abdi, Dave Jones and Rhodes.  We were laughing when Bournemouth took Wiggins for 750k and when Preston took S May for 1m - "idiots we've had them right off".  Imagine what the Boro fans were thinking when we took Rhodes for £10m.

Give me an

M

E

G

A

M

U

G

S

£20m wasted which could have bought Gayle plus Cairney at the time.  Just let that sink in.  Lethal creativity, pace and finishing.  Instead we got a crock and two players who look like they are running backwards at full pace.

Most clubs monitor players very closely and if done properly they havean idea when a player is slowing up. the Watford fans were surprised Abdi was being sold.My guess is the monitoring indicated he was deteriorating and they decided to cash in. He has never looked sharp since he arrived andoccasionally delivers good ball but rest of game is not up to standard.

We also took on Boyd this summer who looks much slower than I have seen him in past. Burnley had offered him just 12 months probably realising not much left in tank. There are other examples and you have just to accept we have to put this down to due dilligence not being done properly before signings were made. i suspect agent advisors were more keen on making money rather than us getting a good player.

What I find difficult to understand is we kept on buying / signing players who were past sell by date.