Dalian Atkinson RIP

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Does anyone remember the match against Derby at Hillsborough when Dalian received the ball on the half way line took a few strides then unleashed this rocket? 35-40 yards out and this bullet just went crashing into the post, Shiton beaten all ends up. I recall the "tink" of Shez but this was different, the sound of hitting the post made a right racket reverb ing around the South stand. The thing was the ball never got above knee height but still was rising when it hit the post, such a pure strike.

Just after 1.03

Can't remember that but do remember villa away, they were top of the league and we were struggling and we totally outplayed them and lost 1-0 with a late goal for them by David platt.

Always remember a brief exchange I had with a West mids copper, he was asking me who our back player and that we should have won

Villa went on to become runners up that year and we went down .

14 hours ago, lukestheman82 said:

I remember Dalian as a quality, powerful, pacey striker who should have made more of himself than he did.

However, to say he was in a different league to Hirst is ridiculous.

Watford fans of a certain age still argue about the relative merits of Barnes and Blisset.  A friend of mine told me that in his opinion, Barnes is the best player that he ever saw, but Blisset is "the finest", a distinction that I fully understand, and can see applying for some Owls to Dalian and King David.  Just wish we could have such debates about some of our current players!

:ghoulguy:

Great though he was,  I'm surprised people think he was better than Hirst or especially Francis......Hirst delivered year after year and Francis has god knows how many caps and a European cup winners medal

The difference between the really great players and the likes of Atkinson and possibly even Hirst is more about upstairs than pace and power.....something Francis had in spades, similar to Teddy Sheringham who not many would pick instead if Atkinson except most football managers!