Hooper

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

And you can tell this from the 200 minutes we have seen them together here and there? 

The Fletcher/Hooper pairing has been very productive, and we know FF is rediculously good from the left.

No it hasn't. Burton, Leeds, first half of Bristol City, Ipswich...

We're generally awful whenever they play alongside each. Balance of the team is all wrong and we struggle. 

2 similar players, both fairly static, both come for the ball with their back to goal...it just doesn't work. It's a walk in the park for opposition defenders. 

You're obviously more focused on the odd consolation goal here and there, than you are on what's actually happening on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Saxondale said:

:laugh:

Lets not kid ourselves we have been mostly clueless in the final third.

Anyone with a pair of eyes can see we've missed him just as much as FF. Even the Hooper-bashers like you, secretly know deep down that while you've been watching Joao and Nuhiu toil away trying to get the ball under control and missing chance after chance, just how much we've missed Hooper. Laughable that you're still sticking to your guns.

lol

No it's actually laughable you just can't admit I was right when I said it would be a blessing in disguise. 

We've struggled in the last couple because FF has been out. Unlike Hooper, he's a player we do actually miss.  

7 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

No it's actually laughable you just can't admit I was right when I said it would be a blessing in disguise. 

We've struggled in the last couple because FF has been out. Unlike Hooper, he's a player we do actually miss.  

As neither Hooper nor FF have played our last 3 matches, how do you deduce Sherlock, that it is FF we have missed rather than Hooper?

Guest Copthorneowl
2 hours ago, james o connor said:

The slagging off of hooper is not surprising, there are some seriously strange folk on here ! Sooner he gets back the better! Top quality player with considerably more work rate than most give him credit for 

100% Agree spot on.

What people underestimate with Hooper is the fact that he's a genuine goal threat. 

Alongside FF he is the only one. Many of our other players are capable of scoring a few goals but Hooper will convert many more opportunities into goals.

The effect on the opposites of having that genuine threat is huge.

Guest Copthorneowl

One thing we can hopefully all agree on is as a match day squad we need Hooper Nando, and Fletcher all fit and available and if any of this three aren't around we're the worse for it.

Hooper and Fletch have some very similar qualities but think most would agree Hooper is the 'fox in the box' type and he will be there in front of the goal always to tap it in. We really miss that simple quality and it showed on Saturday. Sorry but at the moment whilst he develops Joao does not offer that and Nuhiu, while great at hold up and link play is the same 3 or 4 yards short of where he's needed to be when the ball is inside the 6 yard box. Imo.

34 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

No it hasn't. Burton, Leeds, first half of Bristol City, Ipswich...

We're generally awful whenever they play alongside each. Balance of the team is all wrong and we struggle. 

2 similar players, both fairly static, both come for the ball with their back to goal...it just doesn't work. It's a walk in the park for opposition defenders. 

You're obviously more focused on the odd consolation goal here and there, than you are on what's actually happening on the pitch.

This "consolation goal" idea you and zzmdu have hit upon is just the latest stick to beat Hooper with.

When he ran 70 yards and finished off an astonishing Fletcher pass at Birmingham, do you two think it had any influence on Westwood's rush of blood? Or that when he equalised v Ipswich it influenced dreadful defending with 3 minutes to go?

And last season's goals...were they consolations? I recall they were pretty important:-

The 2 v Leeds

The 2 v Bolton

The 2 v Brum

The 2 v Cardiff

Its a team game, and to single out the "winning goals" of certain players is wrong. Vital yes, but so are saves, tackles, clearances etc..

Hooper, FF and Fletcher are among the best 20 players in the league. We are lucky to have them.

38 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Hooper's a very a good goal scorer and I rate him as a player. I'd much rather him be fit and available as part of the squad than injured. 

He's becoming the new Nuhiu though. Some think he's far better than he actually is and anyone who disagrees with their opinion of his importance, is a "hater". 

I don't think any people think he's better than he actually is, the bloke is a proven goalscorer which he has clearly proved throughout his career.

The other is Hooper, (couldn't resist :) )

7 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Its a team game, and to single out the "winning goals" of certain players is wrong. Vital yes, but so are saves, tackles, clearances etc..

But FF playing on the left is the reason for our biggest wins last season?

I'm amazed you're actually saying it's a team game. I've been saying that to you for the last year. Every time you've pulled out your selective stats.

14 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You little name-dropper you.

That true?

Yeah, I was having a conversation with him before the match, when I asked how the recovery was going he said that he should be back for the Wolves game on the 2nd, he's been doing light fitness work in training for the last week or so and should step it up to ball work this week.

Just now, TigerOwl79 said:

Yeah, I was having a conversation with him before the match, when I asked how the recovery was going he said that he should be back for the Wolves game on the 2nd, he's been doing light fitness work in training for the last week or so and should step it up to ball work this week.

Thats great news.

I could imagine leaving him out for Wolves, to give him an extra 12 days rehooperation until Udders.

A run out in 3rd round would be ideal,

I'd play him as soon as poss,

Having been injured and recovering it is prone for slip ups coming back too soon,

but he's got to be pushing to get straight in,

The last 2/3 games surely have put the Hooper moaners to bed..

- Until Jan window opens that is,