Southampton system

Guest Distraught!

I guess he will be getting back to back ones again if that's what was behind Southamptons success.

The thing that fekkin' scares me is he might. Or at the very minimum, one next season.

If Gray had to go, it should have been a couple of weeks earlier then we could have been in the market for the same guy.

This is a refreshingly intelligent discussion for Owlstalk, almost frighteningly so! And the arguments being put forward will undoubtedly give some real comfort to those who are quite startled at the sacking of SG and the proposal for the chosen one from Portugal and Cooper to be appointed. But there is a significant BUT...

The club has remained almost completely silent since the sacking of SG and also John Deehan. So we still have no real information about who the new manager/chief coach/coaching team will actually be. Equally, there is no information or statement from the club to give any confirmation that we really are moving towards the sort of management structure which is being discussed here - in the style of Southampton. So to a certain extent, the discussions here, interesting as they are, are little more than trying to rationalise what seems on the surface to be disappointing speculation. None of us has any real idea if that is really the way our club is planning to move or not - the committee advising the chairman may just be that, because he is not an experienced football man.

.........now if the blunts made a statement on these lines, with Nigel Adkins in place, it would be almost more believable.

I'm still not convinced getting rid of Gray was a good idea but that is all in the past now unfortunately...

So we have to move on.. I think I am starting to get a clearer picture in my own mind about what the club MAY be trying to do, I posted on here a few times earlier about CC being brought in to help us restructure and set strategic direction, the names of the roles don't really matter, it's the roles themselves that count and Cooper coming in as our senior "hands on" coach would seem a good move...

I think this is what the club are trying to do but until they say something it remains conjecture.

Regarding Gray, a guy with that sort of experience and pride in what he had achieved here would probably not have taken too kindly to hearing he was going to be the hands on guy and that someone would be coming in above him to tell him how it's to be done, as I say it's just my conjecture and everyone can have their own opinion..

Just a thought, but the likes of Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool are currently spending ridiculous amounts of  money every year trying to hang on to their Champions League status. Is this a sign that they are beginning to panic because they can see the likes of Southampton and Swansea slowly catching up and maybe overtaking them in the next 2-3 years?

Just a thought, but the likes of Man Utd, Man City and Liverpool are currently spending ridiculous amounts of money every year trying to hang on to their Champions League status. Is this a sign that they are beginning to panic because they can see the likes of Southampton and Swansea slowly catching up and maybe overtaking them in the next 2-3 years?

No chance.

Liverpool possibly, but the Manchester clubs are a million years ahead.

Any top player for Southampton or Swansea will get picked up by the top clubs.

See Wilfred Bony etc.

Buying big is not only sustainable but pretty much compulsory for the global clubs

All the worlds great clubs spend immense amounts of money

I don't think Man U worry about Saints et al any more than we worry about Frickley