The fans group "wednesdayite".

The original poster didn't really get many answers in this thread.

I let my membership lapse quite a long time ago and was thinking about rejoining but I don't really know what they do for the average fan. And yes, I've looked on the website. You run coaches, have a car park, sort out the Smile tickets and coaching, which is great, but it doesn't really affect my experience of going to Wednesday games. Nor does it feel like they are making too much of a positive impact on the way the club is run for the fans. So, at the risk of being berated for asking questions about a fans' organisation on a fans' forum, I'm going to try anyway.

I see you are members of the FSF – do you support their Twenty's Plenty campaign? Are you putting any pressure on our club to adopt this? We are often charged the highest prices away from home because of our large following so it would seem like an initiative that deserves our support. I'd like to hear Wednesdayite come out and condemn the £36 ticket prices at Leeds, explain why so few fans made the short trip, while also admitting the amount we charge away teams is too much. Do the club consult Wednesdayite on pricing before the season starts? If not, why not?

While we're on the FSF campaign subject, how about safe standing? Have Wednesdayite asked their members how they feel about it? I personally want to see it introduced across the country, including at Hillsborough. How about asking the FSF to bring the Safe Standing Roadshow to Hillsborough, so fans can see what it's all about?

You are also members of Supporters Direct. In another thread I asked about listing Hillsborough as an Asset of Community Value - a status recently earned by fans' groups at Man Utd, Liverpool, Oxford, Ipswich and Nuneaton for their grounds to protect them against sale by owners. Leicester have also just applied. I was told there was talk with the club "behind the scenes" - what stage is it at? Why is it happening behind the scenes? I can't find anything on your website about it. The point of an ACV listing isn't realistically to stop a sale, it's to make sure one can't happen behind anyone's back. I would've thought you would like to keep the whole process in the open.

The Supporter Liaison Officer at Wednesday is Alastair Wilson, the ticket office manager, apparently. Does he take an active role in these duties? Attitudes towards the role vary from club to club. Do Wednesdayite work closely with him? Do we need more than one?

How many members does Wednesdayite have these days? Is anything being done to increase it? Are the club willing to help to increase it, while making sure Wednesdayite remain independent and able to question the club's actions when they see fit?

Did any Wednesdayite representative join the march on Premier League HQ in June? There were plenty of non-PL clubs represented, as the issue of ticket prices etc go all the way down the leagues. In fact, do you ever liaise with other supporters' groups in the region? How far does this go?

Coaches and car parks and big flags are all very good and stuff but it's all a bit superficial for my liking.

*Berates*

OK - I said I would tackle this today - so here goes.

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to split your questions into sections and deal with each section step by step.

QuoteThe original poster didn't really get many answers in this thread.

If you check out the way the thread went - and the extremely short time the original poster left his questions before jumping in and suggesting people were hiding from the questions you might begin to understand why it was left. The subsequent points made by the 'usual suspects' again would have deflected from any responses I made.  I believe it was the right decision not to respond.

I let my membership lapse quite a long time ago and was thinking about rejoining but I don't really know what they do for the average fan. And yes, I've looked on the website. You run coaches, have a car park, sort out the Smile tickets and coaching, which is great, but it doesn't really affect my experience of going to Wednesday games. Nor does it feel like they are making too much of a positive impact on the way the club is run for the fans. So, at the risk of being berated for asking questions about a fans' organisation on a fans' forum, I'm going to try anyway.

Not sure why anyone would berate you for asking questions - nor why you feel that would happen. Although it does seem everyone gets berated on Owlstalk these days - not least anyone who has anything to do with Wednesdayite - but usually its the same half dozen posters (most already represented in this thread...Anyway - I digress...

QuoteI see you are members of the FSF – do you support their Twenty's Plenty campaign? Are you putting any pressure on our club to adopt this? We are often charged the highest prices away from home because of our large following so it would seem like an initiative that deserves our support. I'd like to hear Wednesdayite come out and condemn the £36 ticket prices at Leeds, explain why so few fans made the short trip, while also admitting the amount we charge away teams is too much. Do the club consult Wednesdayite on pricing before the season starts? If not, why not?

We are indeed members of the FSF - and yes - we support (as a group) the principles of the Twentys Plenty campaign. We have given our support to the campaign publicly and privately by encouraging fans (all fans not just our members) to sign the petition organised by the Twentys Plenty campaigners.  Having spoken to numerous fans groups at the recent Supporters Direct Conference in Burton - its not as widely supported as you might think. Many groups can see the flaws in the arguments presented - not least the legal arguments in not charging fans differing prices in different areas of the ground - and thats why (personally) I feel its much better targetted at the FA/Football League/Premier League than at the clubs individually.  The club have consulted Wednesdayite (as part of a larger consultation group) on ticketing schemes like season tickets in the past - although this group was not put together the last time this was done. 

While we're on the FSF campaign subject, how about safe standing? Have Wednesdayite asked their members how they feel about it? I personally want to see it introduced across the country, including at Hillsborough. How about asking the FSF to bring the Safe Standing Roadshow to Hillsborough, so fans can see what it's all about?

Yes! Again - we asked for them to bring the Safe Standing Roadshow to a game at Hillsborough this season - personally (again) I think it would be a brilliant way to publicise the scheme given Hillsboroughs history

QuoteYou are also members of Supporters Direct. In another thread I asked about listing Hillsborough as an Asset of Community Value - a status recently earned by fans' groups at Man Utd, Liverpool, Oxford, Ipswich and Nuneaton for their grounds to protect them against sale by owners. Leicester have also just applied. I was told there was talk with the club "behind the scenes" - what stage is it at? Why is it happening behind the scenes? I can't find anything on your website about it. The point of an ACV listing isn't realistically to stop a sale, it's to make sure one can't happen behind anyone's back. I would've thought you would like to keep the whole process in the open.

We are indeed members of Supporters Direct.  I vaguely recall your post about ACV's - apologies that you weren't kept fully up to date with what was happening regarding that.  I personally brought the Asset of Community Value proposal to the Board of Wednesdayite as I believe it is something that as a group we should be doing.  We discussed this as a group and numerous aspects of the ACV scheme were explored. At the end of the meeting a vote was held and unanimously (I abstained as Chair) agreed that it wasn't appropriate for us to proceed with such a scheme unilaterally. A number of reasons for this were given;

1. The scheme is pretty toothless anyway. All it does is give you 6 months to put together a bid.

2. You can be the highest bidder and still be disregarded

3. The stadium can be sold anyway within that 6 month period and nothing at all can be done about it

4. Any costs the club incur in appealing against the scheme can be levelled at the group involved in listing it (this is happening with Old Trafford)

It was agreed (a week last Wednesday) that steps should be taken to consult with the club to work with them to list the stadium and agree a joint way forward. I still haven't done that but I've been pretty busy at work

QuoteThe Supporter Liaison Officer at Wednesday is Alastair Wilson, the ticket office manager, apparently. Does he take an active role in these duties? Attitudes towards the role vary from club to club. Do Wednesdayite work closely with him? Do we need more than one?

It is indeed and we have a great relationship with Alastair. Alastair is usually our first port of call for discussions on numerous aspects of life for all Wednesday fans we make representations on behalf of (its not just members, we get enquiries from all of our fan base demographic) and he sees things through very well. Yes - of course he takes his role seriously.  Not sure why we would need more than one?? We talk pretty regularly with others at the club (they don't insist that everything is filtered through Alastair) such as Kelly Spencer and Trevor Braithwait from the clubs Communications Dept, James Hargreaves, Marcus Brameld, Spencer Taylor and Andrea Hudson from the Community Programme, Andy Daykin, Ian Leech and Chris Thacker from the Commercial Team,  Lindleys (currently we are discussing our survey on the catering).... and many more far too widespread to mention.

QuoteHow many members does Wednesdayite have these days? Is anything being done to increase it? Are the club willing to help to increase it, while making sure Wednesdayite remain independent and able to question the club's actions when they see fit?

Just over a 1000 at present - and increasing all the time. We have recently moved to season long memberships rather than regularly renewing standing orders - so all members can now be classed as being 'active'. It doesnt sound many given our base of fans - but it actually puts us in the Top 5 of all groups in the country (and the biggest outside the Premier League). We are desperate to increase it - we have simplified the signing up process. The club actively support our efforts by working very closely with us to promote Wednesdayite via the programme, events at the club when they release staff to come and talk to members/fans, getting us heavily involved in the Community Programme etc

QuoteDid any Wednesdayite representative join the march on Premier League HQ in June? There were plenty of non-PL clubs represented, as the issue of ticket prices etc go all the way down the leagues. In fact, do you ever liaise with other supporters' groups in the region? How far does this go?

No we didn't send anyone to march on Premier League HQ. People were asked but no one could find the time. We are a Board of 6 people - and all put many many hours into the organisation while juggling jobs, family and football commitments. Maybe you'd like to join us and you could be the one who puts time into attending things like this?  We liaise with other supporters groups at regular regional meetings

QuoteCoaches and car parks and big flags are all very good and stuff but it's all a bit superficial for my liking.

You see - personally - I have a problem with statements like that.

The car park - the car park is what pays for us to get involved in the coaching schemes we run for under privileged children throughout the region which helps with the image of Wednesday (and more importantly to me) and Wednesday fans. Coaches - we run a coach service for a large number of fans who aren't bothered about the pub coaches because they may be families or disabled and they enjoy the days out we run as opposed to the clubs coaches (who just get to the game asap).  Big flags - well - its little digs like that which are completely unnecessary - kids love the flag. Smile tickets etc etc - all are improving the perception of Wednesdayite as a responsible fans group with the best interest of the club and fans at heart...

Wednesdayite (and before it the Owlstrust) had a chequered reputation, not helped by the battles in the past with the clubs former hierarchy.  Many MANY fans took as fact the lies spread about the group by its former Chairman and just saw it as obstructive to investment, from outside and in. fans even blamed Wednesdayite for the clubs position - and of course the Board enjoyed that (and promoted it) as it took the focus off them.  

When I accepted the role as Chair following Mr Mandarics takeover of the club I made it my absolute priority to repair that perception of the group with the fanbase at large. We will never change everyones mind about us. But we are doing a great job of changing some of the most unforgiving of perceptions.

There is a reason that job was necessary.  

In the run up to the High Court appearance I attended numerous meetings of fans, and fans groups, all desperate to help the club. WTID, TTG, Wednesdayite, Shareholders Assoc, etc etc etc including numerous parties who wanted to put together a bid to save us.  The initial meetings were an absolute embarassment - all the different groups refusing to attend if 'such and such' was going, if that group were involved, if Wednesdayite didn't disband, etc etc etc

The fans were as split about each other and more intent on talking about that - than they were in rescuing our club.

It needed someone to try and bring those people together - to stop the arguments - to act as peacekeeper. I thought there was a chance that I could do that - that Wednesdayite could do that.  Its becoming increasingly obvious that we will never do that - and that WAWAW is the biggest myth ever.

This site is all the evidence you need - the negativity surrounding our club is worse than I ever remember - and thats from a position where we were rescued from potential oblivion just 3 short years ago.

Anyway - Ive rambled - this is about Wednesdayite.  I hope you have the answers you need - I'm sure they won't be all to your liking - but I'd be happy to discuss them with you at any time in the future.

*Rips to shreds*

In the run up to the High Court appearance I attended numerous meetings of fans, and fans groups, all desperate to help the club. WTID, TTG, Wednesdayite, Shareholders Assoc, etc etc etc including numerous parties who wanted to put together a bid to save us.  The initial meetings were an absolute embarassment - all the different groups refusing to attend if 'such and such' was going, if that group were involved, if Wednesdayite didn't disband, etc etc etc

The fans were as split about each other and more intent on talking about that - than they were in rescuing our club.

It needed someone to try and bring those people together - to stop the arguments - to act as peacekeeper. I thought there was a chance that I could do that - that Wednesdayite could do that.  Its becoming increasingly obvious that we will never do that - and that WAWAW is the biggest myth ever.

Do those groups still exist ?

Also thought that was a excellent response.

Great, thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand why you didn't respond to the original question, I just thought I would try to turn yet another boring Owlstalk thread with the regulars having a go at each other into something mildly worthwhile.

We are indeed members of the FSF - and yes - we support (as a group) the principles of the Twentys Plenty campaign. We have given our support to the campaign publicly and privately by encouraging fans (all fans not just our members) to sign the petition organised by the Twentys Plenty campaigners.  Having spoken to numerous fans groups at the recent Supporters Direct Conference in Burton - its not as widely supported as you might think. Many groups can see the flaws in the arguments presented - not least the legal arguments in not charging fans differing prices in different areas of the ground - and thats why (personally) I feel its much better targetted at the FA/Football League/Premier League than at the clubs individually.  The club have consulted Wednesdayite (as part of a larger consultation group) on ticketing schemes like season tickets in the past - although this group was not put together the last time this was done. 

I find it interesting the campaign isn't too widely supported. There are obvious flaws in it, of course, but I think the whole movement is a positive one. Sometimes I think groups such as the FSF can get bogged down in small details earlier than they need to and stop moving forward because of it. The idea that fans are getting ripped off and we need to do something about it is a strong one that should be gaining a lot of support, I'm glad you have been encouraging people to sign the petition. Personally I wish our club would take a stand, pay our players less and lower ticket prices for all fans, but then I look at the people whining in the matchday section because we haven't bankrupted ourselves by signing average players and remember why.

Yes! Again - we asked for them to bring the Safe Standing Roadshow to a game at Hillsborough this season - personally (again) I think it would be a brilliant way to publicise the scheme given Hillsboroughs history

Great! I think Hillsborough should have been the first place they brought the roadshow to.

We are indeed members of Supporters Direct.  I vaguely recall your post about ACV's - apologies that you weren't kept fully up to date with what was happening regarding that.  I personally brought the Asset of Community Value proposal to the Board of Wednesdayite as I believe it is something that as a group we should be doing.  We discussed this as a group and numerous aspects of the ACV scheme were explored. At the end of the meeting a vote was held and unanimously (I abstained as Chair) agreed that it wasn't appropriate for us to proceed with such a scheme unilaterally. A number of reasons for this were given;

1. The scheme is pretty toothless anyway. All it does is give you 6 months to put together a bid.

3. The stadium can be sold anyway within that 6 month period and nothing at all can be done about it

4. Any costs the club incur in appealing against the scheme can be levelled at the group involved in listing it (this is happening with Old Trafford)

It was agreed (a week last Wednesday) that steps should be taken to consult with the club to work with them to list the stadium and agree a joint way forward. I still haven't done that but I've been pretty busy at work

I'm glad to hear this issue has been discussed. I guess the main (indeed, only?) advantage to an ACV is that it means the intention to sell has to be made public by informing the group who applied. I don't for a minute think it's an issue for us at the moment (unlike at somewhere like Ipswich, where they are nervous about their owner's current intentions) but were we to be taken over by shady investors I desperately don't want a Coventry etc to happen so I thought this might be one way to avoid it. Your reasons sound fair enough though and I would love someone at the club to signal their intentions to protect Hillsborough. It is central to our identity, in my opinion.

It is indeed and we have a great relationship with Alastair. Alastair is usually our first port of call for discussions on numerous aspects of life for all Wednesday fans we make representations on behalf of (its not just members, we get enquiries from all of our fan base demographic) and he sees things through very well. Yes - of course he takes his role seriously.  Not sure why we would need more than one?? We talk pretty regularly with others at the club (they don't insist that everything is filtered through Alastair) such as Kelly Spencer and Trevor Braithwait from the clubs Communications Dept, James Hargreaves, Marcus Brameld, Spencer Taylor and Andrea Hudson from the Community Programme, Andy Daykin, Ian Leech and Chris Thacker from the Commercial Team,  Lindleys (currently we are discussing our survey on the catering).... and many more far too widespread to mention.

Great to hear Alastair takes his role seriously – I know clubs must have an SLO now but apparently some just name a random member of staff and see it as an inconvenience. I also know that clubs in Germany have more than one – Dortmund have five or six I believe – but then I suppose there is more supporter involvement in the decision-making process at the upper levels of clubs there. I've noticed the catering stuff you have been doing, good work. This is the sort of thing I mean – something where, when people say "Yeah, but what do Wednesdayite do for me?" you can say "We forced the club to serve us better food at cheaper prices, we suggested they got those local ales on tap, we got them to charge £5 less per ticket, and make the kids for a quid available on the gate..." etc. Things that people notice have improved in their standard matchday experience.

Just over a 1000 at present - and increasing all the time. We have recently moved to season long memberships rather than regularly renewing standing orders - so all members can now be classed as being 'active'. It doesnt sound many given our base of fans - but it actually puts us in the Top 5 of all groups in the country (and the biggest outside the Premier League). We are desperate to increase it - we have simplified the signing up process. The club actively support our efforts by working very closely with us to promote Wednesdayite via the programme, events at the club when they release staff to come and talk to members/fans, getting us heavily involved in the Community Programme etc

I think the move to season-long memberships is a good one. I'll be honest, I sort of lost track of whether I was a member or not a few years ago. Great numbers, too. I think it is Arsenal have a pretty small group considering their status – under 1,000. Whereas MUST is extremely active and well organised, from what I have seen. I guess the problem with Wednesdayite is that they will always divide opinion among our ridiculously fragmented fanbase. We have such a big following we could be a real force if we all wanted the same thing and got involved in making it happen. But, like you say, too many people are preoccupied with sniping at each other to see a bigger picture.

My statement about coaches, car parks etc that you have a problem with. It's not that I don't understand why these activities are done – I applaud them, my dad uses the car park, I like the big flag, I used to use the coach for away games when I lived in Sheffield, rather than London. I just never seem to hear about the other stuff you do – hence the questions. They weren't meant as a dig at the organisation or you, I admire anyone willing to give up so much time for the club and its fans.

Anyway, I need to go as I'm at work. But thanks again for answering the questions – it's given me a clearer idea of where Wednesdayite stand on the issues that I care about. Maybe it's time I considered resurrecting my membership.

Guest Deleted member

Great, thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand why you didn't respond to the original question, I just thought I would try to turn yet another boring Owlstalk thread with the regulars having a go at each other into something mildly worthwhile.

I find it interesting the campaign isn't too widely supported. There are obvious flaws in it, of course, but I think the whole movement is a positive one. Sometimes I think groups such as the FSF can get bogged down in small details earlier than they need to and stop moving forward because of it. The idea that fans are getting ripped off and we need to do something about it is a strong one that should be gaining a lot of support, I'm glad you have been encouraging people to sign the petition. Personally I wish our club would take a stand, pay our players less and lower ticket prices for all fans, but then I look at the people whining in the matchday section because we haven't bankrupted ourselves by signing average players and remember why.

Great! I think Hillsborough should have been the first place they brought the roadshow to.

I'm glad to hear this issue has been discussed. I guess the main (indeed, only?) advantage to an ACV is that it means the intention to sell has to be made public by informing the group who applied. I don't for a minute think it's an issue for us at the moment (unlike at somewhere like Ipswich, where they are nervous about their owner's current intentions) but were we to be taken over by shady investors I desperately don't want a Coventry etc to happen so I thought this might be one way to avoid it. Your reasons sound fair enough though and I would love someone at the club to signal their intentions to protect Hillsborough. It is central to our identity, in my opinion.

Great to hear Alastair takes his role seriously – I know clubs must have an SLO now but apparently some just name a random member of staff and see it as an inconvenience. I also know that clubs in Germany have more than one – Dortmund have five or six I believe – but then I suppose there is more supporter involvement in the decision-making process at the upper levels of clubs there. I've noticed the catering stuff you have been doing, good work. This is the sort of thing I mean – something where, when people say "Yeah, but what do Wednesdayite do for me?" you can say "We forced the club to serve us better food at cheaper prices, we suggested they got those local ales on tap, we got them to charge £5 less per ticket, and make the kids for a quid available on the gate..." etc. Things that people notice have improved in their standard matchday experience.

I think the move to season-long memberships is a good one. I'll be honest, I sort of lost track of whether I was a member or not a few years ago. Great numbers, too. I think it is Arsenal have a pretty small group considering their status – under 1,000. Whereas MUST is extremely active and well organised, from what I have seen. I guess the problem with Wednesdayite is that they will always divide opinion among our ridiculously fragmented fanbase. We have such a big following we could be a real force if we all wanted the same thing and got involved in making it happen. But, like you say, too many people are preoccupied with sniping at each other to see a bigger picture.

My statement about coaches, car parks etc that you have a problem with. It's not that I don't understand why these activities are done – I applaud them, my dad uses the car park, I like the big flag, I used to use the coach for away games when I lived in Sheffield, rather than London. I just never seem to hear about the other stuff you do – hence the questions. They weren't meant as a dig at the organisation or you, I admire anyone willing to give up so much time for the club and its fans.

Anyway, I need to go as I'm at work. But thanks again for answering the questions – it's given me a clearer idea of where Wednesdayite stand on the issues that I care about. Maybe it's time I considered resurrecting my membership.

Thanks for taking the time out to give your responses - and sorry if I seemed defensive - it can be a thankless task. Ive responded to posts like this before and then just been met with a load of abuse as it was just someone who wasnt genuinely interested.

feel free to come and see us in the Wednesdayite Lounge pre-match sometime - introduce yourself and we can share a beer and talk some more.

Oh - and www.wednesdayite.com for renewing your membership!! (£2 from every membership goes directly to community programme - and £1 to Smile tickets!)

Think that might have convinced me to renew my lapsed membership.

I do think that Wednesdayite could do with a bigger board - although appreciate getting volunteers with enough time isn't easy. Are the board meeting minutes on-line. Is it for members only?

Anyone is welcome to join the board and/or attend meeting, 

If you have a project/idea you would like to see happen in the wider Wednesday Community why not see what assistance we can offer you to get it underway, or if you would like to assist in one of our current areas of operation then please get in touch. 

The working group is very small and we all could do with someone to help ease the burden.

We would all like Wednesdayite to do more but unfortunately our own family/work commitments make this difficult.

Guest Deleted member

I'll volunteer to run the Lounge

Prostitutes in Wednesdayite t-shirts everywhere

You've mentioned this before, been told to crack on and do it.

And its never materialised.

Empty bloody promises.

Until the last four years I had never been to the States.

Every year when I opened my smile ticket wallet to find a pair of business class tickets to Vegas, paid for.by the Wednesdayite community, it brought a tear to my eye.

Mrs 33 was a bit disappointed to find that due to some traffic lights being on red that we can't go this year, but we understand times are tough.

At least we know it is our turn to 'win' the football card at the Donny game and they are doing a big card so it will help with the wine bill for that week.

Well done Dickie and eDDie...!