The Owls and cricket

Can someone clarify for me, the below was retweeted by The Football League so I clicked on the link to see what they were claiming and the bit in bold caught my eye as I did'nt think United were formed until we left the lane to bring income in for the owner??

Sheffield United ‏@SUFC_tweets 4h

It is 40 years to the day that cricket was stumped at Bramall Lane. See http://www.sufc.co.uk/news/article/20130807-cricket-975876.aspx â€¦ for more details. #sufc #twitterblades

Retweeted by The Football League

A Sheffield United Cricket Club, comprising of a selection of local teams playing under one banner, would be its tenants and later, following another meeting at the Adelphi, the Lane would become the first home of the Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

The Sheffield United Cricket Club has got nothing to do with SUFC other than the "Sheffield United" bit of the name. The CC was formed in 1854. A bit of disingenuous reporting from SUFC to make it sound like there's a link between the CC and FC.

The Sheffield United Cricket Club has got nothing to do with SUFC other than the "Sheffield United" bit of the name. The CC was formed in 1854. A bit of disingenuous reporting from SUFC to make it sound like there's a link between the CC and FC.

Are you suggesting that Sheffield United would falsely use disingenuous information to try and make themselves look more interesting or try and create a history for the otherwise boring and rather pointless football club?

Nope. That doesn't sound like something Sheffield United would try to do at all.

Are you suggesting that Sheffield United would falsely use disingenuous information to try and make themselves look more interesting or try and create a history for the otherwise boring and rather pointless football club?

Nope. That doesn't sound like something Sheffield United would try to do at all.

surely not !?   I understand that WG Grace was also a blunt so it all must be true in fact i bet cricket itself was started there