Loan Conditions

I know there's been speculation in other threads re. our loan signings from Premier League clubs having to start (if not injured) going back to last season with Ranger and at present re. Bothroyd and Barkley.

I also remember the lad from Newcastle whose loan wasn't extended because GM played him out of position and Pardew cited this as the reason for him not returning.

Both of the Newcastle loans were brokered by PA as a result of a longstanding relationship with Pardew so supposedly the conditions were first and foremost agreed to by him. Maybe this is one of the grievances GM had at the time?

Presumably DJ is possibly more open to this arrangement if it gets us quality on the cheap but surely it's detrimental to team spirit and a fair fight for the shirt if so?

Also, as I don't keep track on our outgoing loanees, do you think we apply similar conditions when players go out?

Are these conditions, if true, common?

People always post with such certainty that this is the case with Bothroyd and now Barkley too. I'm not sure how they'd know, but how likely is it to actually be true?

I think highly likely indeed!

DJ has dropped other players for underperforming (Rodri, Taylor) but has stuck with Bothroyd every step of the way after a string of sub-standard performances

I personally think there might be something in it. Mainly based on the situation with the Newcastle loans last year.

I've never researched other clubs successful loan signings but purely on the basis of them being a success then they obviously get a shirt.

It's the unsuccessful/unpopular ones who keep playing who other clubs' fans or maybe someone on here may know about.

Do they have to play in every game in a given position as part of the deal?

Hope this makes sense.

DJ has dropped other players for underperforming (Rodri, Taylor) but has stuck with Bothroyd every step of the way after a string of sub-standard performances

But if it's the case then it's not solely his "fault". It's more of a club transfer policy thing, surely?

I'd suggest that Barkley's loan is highly dependent on the fact that he gets to start every game (why would Everton have him join us otherwise???).

Bothroyd is probably more to do with the fact that he'd be a pain in the arse if he wasn't played.

Edited by SiJ

Guest Sheff Owl

Do people really think Everton would loan us one of their best prospects and a possible future England international and be happy for him to sit on the bench?

David Moyes has said he wants Barkley to go out on loan to get games and experience, how will he get that if he is on the bench.

But if it's the case then it's not solely his "fault". It's more of a club transfer policy thing, surely?

That depends who decided on the transfer? We will probably never know, and i'm not blaming DJ as such for the fact he's playing but whoever's decision it was, and if it is true, we're going to have this until january

Guest wilyfox

Not too sure about any such clause with Bothroyd. QPR haven't loaned him for us to bang him into shape with a view to a return for their first team. Mark Hughes exiled the likes of Bothroyd and DJ Campbell, stating they play no part in his plans. They're probably pleased to get him away from Loftus Road, and a contribution towards his wages. With Barkley, it's different; Moyes needs him to play games for his development, with his loan being month to month so he can carefully monitor Barkley's progress. Hughes was content to sign Bothroyd off 'til January - he wasn't even handed a squad number.

Edited by wilyfox

Guest JC Saviour

Is it a case of, MM saying to DJ, you wanted him, I'm having to fork out a fortune, you both better start turning things round or else. Playing Bothroyd from the bench ain't going to achieve that and would make DJ look a bigger tool,than he already is with his signings.