Fallen Wednesday heroes

As we approach that time of year where we don our poppies in remembrance of those who gave their lives so we could live with the freedom we have today, I thought it'd be a good idea to give Wednesdayites a bit of information on those ex-players who sacrificed their lives for the great cause.

JAMES MAXWELL

Scotsman James Maxwell joined Wednesday from Kilmarnock in 1907 aged just 19. The nifty winger went straight into the fist team and scored his first goal for the club against Sheffield United a month after his debut. Competing with the great Harry Chapman for the right wing spot was always going to prove a tricky obstacle, and young Maxwell moved to Arsenal 14 months after arriving at Owlerton. He later moved back into Scottish football before answering the call to serve King and country during the Great War. Sadly, on 27th September 1915, he was killed in action while serving with the Royal Scots. He is remembered at Loos Memorial, on the outskirts of Lens.

Commonwealth War Graces Commision entry –

Find a Grave entry –

maxwella.jpg

VIVIAN SIMPSON

post-616-1243147698_thumb.jpg

Vivian Simpson was very much one of the old breed on the football field. Born in Sheffield in 1883, Simpson joined the handful of amateur players playing in the professional league when he signed non-contract terms with Wednesday in 1900 – while still working as a solicitor during the week. Simpson was a talented forward who played merely for the love of the game. He scored 11 goals in 38 games for the club, including an FA Cup hat-trick in a 6-0 demolition of Manchester United at Owlerton. As an amateur he was eligible to play for Sheffield FC in the FA Amateur Cup, and won the competition in 1904.

He signed up for the army and made captain. On 28th June 1917, Captain Simpson led his troops into the Cordorna Trench and engaged the Germans with hand to hand fighting. His bravery and organisation were rewarded with the Military Cross. His MC citation reads –

'On 28th of June 1917 Capt. Simpson played a leading part in the attack on Cordorna Trench. He had also been heavily involved in the planning for this attack. He was the first man into the enemy trench and was involved in hand to hand combat with the defenders. Later he brilliantly organised the consolidation and protection of the newly won position. London Gazette 17 September 1917'

Captain Simpson was killed in action on 13th April 1918 and was buried at Outtersteene Cemetery, west of Lille, near the border with Belgium.

Commonwealth War Graves Commision entry -

Find a Grave entry -

simpsonpd.jpg

FINDLAY WEIR

Scottish defender Findlay Weir arrived at Owlerton in May 1909 after impressing for his local youth side. Weir made 72 appearances in the blue and white stripes, scoring 1 goal, before moving south to join Tottenham Hotspur. He gave great service to the London side, and joined the Tottenham Royal Engineers on the outbreak of the war.

He was killed in action in July 1918 and was repatriated to the UK, being buried at Lambhill Cemetery in Glasgow.

Commonwealth War Graves Commision entry -

Find a Grave entry -

weiro.jpg

May they all rest in peace.

Edited by KivoOwl

Guest Paulos_Medication

Kivo I was pondering this exact question on my drive to work this morning. I was intending to ask you via owlstalk tonight then I saw you were already on the case. Impressive detail as always . Thanks.