a day out at hillsborough...

Hi all

I took my brother to his first league game of the season yesterday. Work and family commitments mean I only go a few times and he gets to go even less. We were talking about the full day last night, I know there have been plenty of threads on the game, player ratings etc, I just wanted to put our thoughts on the whole package.

Tickets - bought online, really easy and quick to use. Surprised at the prices, £26 in the north for a game pitching 3rd vs 4th bottom seemed a little steep.

Food - pie terrible and way over priced. £10.50 bought us a pie, hot dog and two Bovril. The food queues were a lot smaller than in the south or kop though so no long wait.

Stadium - what a grand old bird she is. Looks old in patches and at some point when we have the spare cash, needs an overhaul, but it's still a fantastic theatre. The atmosphere when the fans are in voice is outstanding. Why is it I can never connect to phone internet though?

Club shop - iv been going to it since it was a portakabin, it's looking modern, clean and lots of space now. Same old products though, I remember when they sold things like regi blinker wigs. Would love them to take a punt on things like the various t shirts you guys produce on here, or some novelty Wednesday things.

The match - flat as a witches ***. First half was a total write off, the second sparked into life on a few occasions, but generally it was poor to watch. Won't live long in the memory.

The opposition - pathetic. If I were a posh fan I'd be seriously worried about relegation. Time wasting in the first half an hour said it all. The only player of note was boyd. Their keeper was Shiite and we should have been raining shots and crosses at him all game.

Wednesday - what planet was bothroyd on? Sauntered round the pitch and from the get go, played like it was the 89th minute. Undoubted talent but if that's how he's been playing no wonder he's got some stick.

Thought the central midfield was our strong point, really impressed with mccabe and barkley, they link up well but they need players who want to run into channels, which only Antonio ever did. Thought the 4-1-4-1 was too negative today, they were there for the taking and we let them in the game.

Ref - was crap and obviously decided after bothroyd had a go at him we weren't getting anything. The football league need to have a look at the standard of refs and do something about it.

Player ratings;

Kirkland - 6 - Nowt to do all game

Buxton -8 -especially as he was doing bothroyds job too

Llera - 7 - solid and good distribution. Appeared from nowhere for his goal, great celebration.

Gardner - 7 - assured and steady but a bit lumbering. We've replaced rob Jones with another rob Jones.

D Jones - 6 - didn't beat a man all game but steady at the back

Semedo - 9 - hero. Was an absolute lion and won everything. Perfect compliment for mccabe and barkley.

Corry - 5 - I think this guy will become another graham Hyde, wins the ball and zero fuss.

Barkley - 7 - very little to play to but he's a talent. Great goal

Antonio - 8 - we are stuffed if he gets injured. Our one attacking outlet, should have had a penalty when he shot wide in the 2nd half.

Bothroyd - 3 - wasn't up for it today. Some nice touches but disinterested and we were playing with ten men. Should have been brought off for jj much sooner.

Cog - 5 - not his best game but he gets no chances and is always isolated.

Mccabe - 6 - gives us a lot more energy but tried to play the odd wonder pass when it wasn't on.

Madine - 6 - worked hard but also gets in the box more than cog. He will get a chance if we climb out the danger zone.

Jj - 5 - not enough time and after beating three men, lost it trying to beat a 4th. But he would have terrorized them yesterday.

Sorry it's long, got some interesting views on stuff from my brother, especially around the 4-1-4-1 formation which he thinks is stifling. Still, we always enjoy a day out watching Wednesday!

Edited by Hawkeye

Bothroyd will always be a talking point while he is playing deep and not attacking. Is it enough for a few good games here and there? I have lost count of the times that Buxton has gone on the overlap only for Bothroyd to cut inside and lose the attacking momentum, i would like to see him mix it up a bit and keep their defence guessing. He was unplayable against Leeds but hasn't shown enough of his talent consistently.

Great report of your day out, did your brother enjoy it?

Bothroyd will always be a talking point while he is playing deep and not attacking. Is it enough for a few good games here and there? I have lost count of the times that Buxton has gone on the overlap only for Bothroyd to cut inside and lose the attacking momentum, i would like to see him mix it up a bit and keep their defence guessing. He was unplayable against Leeds but hasn't shown enough of his talent consistently.

We always enjoy it mate, a lot more when we win! His 5 yr old son comes sometimes too, it's an enjoyable day out.

Neil, to answer your point on bothroyd - he's a luxury we can't afford right now. It was ten vs twelve yesterday.

Its not just Hillsborough though. Mobile Internet & telephone will always be a bit crap in areas where there's a huge group of people, because the local cell site gets overloaded. In these situations mobile providers will sometimes prioritise telephone over data to ensure people can at least make a call, but even then it's not guaranteed.

Your point regarding Buxton is an excellent one. One of the best attacking full backs (for the level we play at) that we've ever had. He needs to be pairs up with a wide midfielder who understands how to actually play as a winger and therefore how to link up with his full back.

Its not just Hillsborough though. Mobile Internet & telephone will always be a bit crap in areas where there's a huge group of people, because the local cell site gets overloaded. In these situations mobile providers will sometimes prioritise telephone over data to ensure people can at least make a call, but even then it's not guaranteed.

Good point. Club should install WiFi and make it free for all season ticket holders and members. Bet it would help sell a few more memberships too. The important thing is it must be for members AND season ticket holders. Hate the fact that season ticket holders, most of whom pay over £400 a season just to get in, have to then pay for membership to get any benefits.

Good point. Club should install WiFi and make it free for all season ticket holders and members. Bet it would help sell a few more memberships too. The important thing is it must be for members AND season ticket holders. Hate the fact that season ticket holders, most of whom pay over £400 a season just to get in, have to then pay for membership to get any benefits.

That's not a bad shout. But it would be difficult to police, not impossible.. I'd buy membership if it included wifi access, would be a nice idea for the club to pick iphone on

Think the Gardner comment is wrong he is better than jones but maybe you thought that as you don't go to often .

Only seen him yesterday live, plus the Leeds game, but he looks lumbering and slow. Wins everything in the air though and organises well.