Natural finisher

Guest Milan da man

You've got to love football supporters.

We're not doing very well at the moment so the next random bloke who isn't playing and who is taking his turn as the answer to all our problems is...

# RUMMAGES IN VELVET BAG AND PICKS OUT NUMBER #

...Caolan Lavery.

Still not seen a Bywater at full back thread though, disappointing I must admit.

A gun wont fire without ammo

Car wont start without fuel

A natural finisher can't score without supply

All well and good, but nothing is a given, hard running and a fast work rate comes first, time and space you have to find, feeling

sorry for one's self will get us nowhere, true grit is needed plus a never say die attitude, and an intrepid fired-up hit the ground

running and play fast flowing football and fight for every ball and play without fear, DJ needs to be positive or players will get nervous.

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Still not seen a Bywater at full back thread though, disappointing I must admit.

Or Megson as stadium guide.

Madine and Bothroyd can both be considered decent finishers, maybe not natural finishers like a Jermain Defoe type but they are capable of sticking it in the net

The only question then is, what are they actually supposed to finish?

Agree that Madine is a good finisher - I can't remember him ever missing a 1 on 1, which is why I always think it is a shame when he plays as the hold up man rather than someone who plays facing the opposition goal

I do, however, disagree with using Defoe as an example of natural finishing. His tactic is generally smash it as hard as possible towards goal. Often works, but also often hits keeper. I think Darren bent is a more natural finisher, he does it instinctively. Maybe he does not offer much else, but finishing wise he is excellent

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Megwai gets name dropped for every job going,

Need somebody to clean the bogs on the kop? "Megson is the man for the job, he's one of us, he knows how we sh!t"

He eats our sh*t and we eat his.

Agree that Madine is a good finisher - I can't remember him ever missing a 1 on 1, which is why I always think it is a shame when he plays as the hold up man rather than someone who plays facing the opposition goal

I do, however, disagree with using Defoe as an example of natural finishing. His tactic is generally smash it as hard as possible towards goal. Often works, but also often hits keeper. I think Darren bent is a more natural finisher, he does it instinctively. Maybe he does not offer much else, but finishing wise he is excellent

Interesting one that, I understand what you mean about Defoe, but he sticks the ball away more often than not

Bent for me is not the most natural finisher, he takes 3 or 4 chances to score and never actually looks like he's going to, saw him play for England against Switzerland at Wembley, should have had 5 at least, although I have seen him do far better than that in fairness.

Willing to agree to disagree and use a young Michael Owen as an example instead?

I'm incredibly frustrated at the moment by the lack of first team football Madine is getting.

He's a young striker who scored 18 goals last season and isn't getting a look in right now.

Madine might not be good enough but he deserves a chance to prove so either way.

I'm incredibly frustrated at the moment by the lack of first team football Madine is getting.

He's a young striker who scored 18 goals last season and isn't getting a look in right now.

Madine might not be good enough but he deserves a chance to prove so either way.

He needs to push himself in training if he does not he will not get picked, simple.

Interesting one that, I understand what you mean about Defoe, but he sticks the ball away more often than not

Bent for me is not the most natural finisher, he takes 3 or 4 chances to score and never actually looks like he's going to, saw him play for England against Switzerland at Wembley, should have had 5 at least, although I have seen him do far better than that in fairness.

Willing to agree to disagree and use a young Michael Owen as an example instead?

Fair enough, I wld say judging Bent on an international maybe shows up his lack of international quality movement, however I suppose if he still got the chances that night it was the finishing that let him down. Owen is a good example, always found the corner, even with a scuffed effort. Hoddle said he was not a natural finisher, would be interesting to know who he felt was. Linekar maybe?

Guest Milan da man

You've got to love football supporters.

We're not doing very well at the moment so the next random bloke who isn't playing and who is taking his turn as the answer to all our problems is...

# RUMMAGES IN VELVET BAG AND PICKS OUT NUMBER #

...Caolan Lavery.

Yea but why not? He's rated.

DJ said when he came to the club that if players are not performing they will loose the shirt. What have we got to loose by trying him?