Last nights game - A supporters view

I'd though I'd do a morning after the night before just to check I didn't dream.

I always get that tinge of excitement parking the car up Herries Road and walking under the arches with the ground opening up before you. The one though in my head was yes we are back.

Then to hear the news that Rodri was playing was again a bit more excitement. Come on how many of us would have thought 12 months ago we would sign a player from Barca.

In the ground the coffee was its normally interesting taste, the pie of choice was chicken balti and I must say an improvement on last year thats definatly league game pie of choice.

Got to my seat. Even with 5 mins to kick off I was thinking where is everyone turn round from talking to my mate and wallop everything did an if by magic fill up.

As for the match. Well what can I say much rubbing of eyes in the first half. Was this really my beloved club playing better than I have seen in 10 years. Pass move pass move, quick tempo. The goals well Reda is a beast in front of goal and in Rodri if that is a little taste of what he can do o my days.

What I would say as a note of caution and cos I don't want to get carried away is that we are still naive defensively for me Kirkland still had a little too much to do, which he did brilliantly but I'd rather he was a passenger.

As for the players

Kirkland - I'm praying to every god I find that he stays fit. Well organised, oozes class and sorts out the defence well. To me he could be the key to a successful season.

Buxton - Slowly getting back into it. Their no. 22 was lively and all in all Buxton coped well with him for the majority of the game. Got caught for their first goal

LLera - A solid display, starting to look like a leader back there. Dealt with the man mountain Zidic (if thats how you spell it) well.

Beevers - its 5 years since he started with the first team and over that time he has played in some rubbish teams and that has affected him. Don't think he did very much wrong at all. Seems to have gained strength and will get even better with confidence and a run in the team.

Reda - A defenders job is to defend. Reda sometimes forgets that. gets caught out of position at times but he was up against one of the best wingers I have seen in long time and mostly did OK. In the right place for his goal and could have had another. His passing went astray in the second half Needs to learn not to dive in.

Antonio - For me he is trying to hard to be last years Antonio instead of letting it come to him. He looks a little unfit. But saying that they were scared to the point they doubled up and gave him no room to manoeuvre at all.

Semedo - Not quite at last years level yet but leads so well by example and what I have noticed he is working further up the pitch he was involved in a lot of the passing stuff with McCabe and supports and works with McCabe well. the pair of them look a proper midfield unit.

McCabe - Wow. How did we talk him into coming. For someone so small he leaps like Michael Jordon. He's calm on the ball, He has two good feet, has a great pass and loves a get stuck in tackle looks strong as well. Need to just work on corners.

JJ - Something seems to have clicked in JJs head. Don't get me wrong he still has his JJ moment and his herries road boots on but at times unplayable and a nightmare for the opposition pace and the ball sticks to him. Last night for me there were glimpses of brilliance and proper thought. The cross field ball to Antonio, the pass to Rodri that and how calm he took his goal. In previous season he would have gone for a lash at that but he composed himself and took it so well. Looks fitter than at any time I have seen him. Still has that aggressive passion.

COG - Man mountain. he must be a right ball ache to play against. He does the dirty in the trenches work. Never gives defenders a minute and hold the ball up really well. Pleased for him.

Rodri - Double bloody WOW - That has to be as good a debut as I have seen in a long time. You can tell how comfortable he is on the ball. Wants to be involved and wants to direct traffic. He turns on a six pence and for someone who isn't fast they had to kick him to stop him. Love the aggression and he is not going to back down from a fight. Great goal and what a celebration. looked like he loved his name being sang.

Pejnik - Comedy moment of night someone behind me shouts go on Sputnik get stuck in. made me laugh. I'm thinking he could play instead of Antonio. A lot like Rodri and I think they would compliment each other so well. Good feet another feisty one and a proper find. When he settles he really could be the real deal.

Madine - Must feel like his nose has been put out a bit. came on and actually did well. Held the ball up good link play and I thought he had scored with the header. For me needs to look at COG and work harder at closing down.

Maguire - Didn't get much of a go but looks lively and definatly has a role in this team

All in all a good night. Need to just work on defending just to tighten up. But the thing is the team is very work in progress and that last night for me is a taster of what is to come.

I spoke to a Birmingham fan after the match and they were very impressed with our all round team. They dislike Lee Clarke and are disappointed with the lack lustre performances.

Wow I've rambled but thats my bit on the match.

Peggyowl

Good summary, not much to disagree with.

Been to all of the first 3 games, not seen anything too encouraging prom Pecnik yet, think he will take a while to adapt to one fo the fastest leagues in the world, looks like he's got some ideas, but can't get it done quickly enough sometimes.

Madine shouldn't feel that his nose is put out either to be honest, I dont think he's quite fit yet and it showed a little bit yesterday that he still needs a bit of work, Jones is just easing himback to match fitness, plus o Grady has grabbed his chance with both hands, can't say fairer.

Completely agree about Kirkland, JJ and the potential partnership between McCabe and Semedo, really exciting to see.

Good post.

Like you said i think the only slight worry is the defense. But having said that i can only get the matches on Wednesday Player.

And when you listen to the match on the radio, whenever the opposition has the ball within 30 yards of goal one tends to get overly nervous and worried because you cant see a thing and all you can hear are the commentators raising their voice. Scary stuff!

So im sure the defending in this match was not as bad to watch as it sounded when listening to Burke and Redmond on the ball.

Having said that, i still think that the defense is the last area we need to improve if we're to seriously challenge for promotion. We're a high quality CB and maybe a FB away from seriously taking this league by the balls.

Taff

I think its more about needing time. I'm not sure how Gardener fits into the team but Llera and Beevers havent had much game time together and its about who drops and who picks up. We as a defense got caught out of position on a couple of aoccations. On reflection I would also say we occasionally resorted to hoof ball. Sometimes it was needed but sometimes it was a panic reaction.

Where we really need to work harder is cutting out supply from the wings. Both FB to some extent but especially Reda need to remember Ddfense is their first job. Cut the supoply and the rest comes that eases the pressure on Kirkland.

Not a critisism BTW more of a constructive suggestion.

We are still new to this Championship malarky. Only 3 players have played in the Championship.

Agree with all that ,maybe people are starting to see how we lacked in Cm now..

Not in league 1 we didnt, be fair.

But if he carries on like he's started, a player like McCabe will make a huge difference for us, there's no denying that.

Forgot to add 3 things.

The substitutions by DJ were spot on both in terms of timing and players.

The ref and lino was pants and at times baffling. The throw in in the first half just was unbelievable.

Me and my coffee nearly got wiped out before the match by one of the keepers. The whoosh as the ball whisked pass my head made me jump. Serves me right for walking cross the front of the kop before the game.